Black Money Business Jobs : Employers Can Refuse To Hire A Person With Dreadlocks, Court Says

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Liberty, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    True, but not simply because they have locs.. But because their hair is messy and unkempt.

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +932
    And smells...

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,259
    Employers can refuse to higher for almost any reason

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +877
    "Shoultdn't" have to".
    Alabama is a Will to Work state. An employer can fire you for any reason or no reason at all.
    I agree that employers perspective of locks is formed thru the media.
    As I'm typing this, I'm watching the news showing the picture of a suspect with dreads, rappers wear dreadful dreads, etc. This is possibly why locs are viewed not appropriate for the corporate work place.
    It is discrimination, but not illegal.
    What bothers me is what did the employer expect after she cut off her locks. Is a bald head acceptable. The young lady should have asked that question.
    We will eventually be forced to cretate our own corporations. We can't force white employers to be agreeable with our culture hair styles.
    IMO, I don't think the EEOC handled the case well, as a civil rights case.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.
    What's to stand for in this case? Choose your battles. We created this battle when we tried to conform our hair to fit white standards.
    Black womens hair have been under attack and discriminated against since slavery. We started wearing our hair straight to suit the white employers because we wanted to be employed.
    I use to wear turbans occasionally to work. One day I was called to a supervisors office. She, a Black female, who said her manager had told her I had to remove my turban. I unwrapped the turban and my natural hair was not ready for prime time. She said I should put it on like a scarf. Which is what I did.
    This was a temp job with the City during tax time. The next day I turned in my 2 week notice, knowing it would be last day. I quit.

As Black women this is a issue we must take on, seriously. As a movement. We must take back our hair. We can't have it both ways. IMHO, we can't tackle these hair issues until we accept our own nappy, curly hair. Nappy is not a bad word for me. A lot of Black women or offended by the use of the word nappy. Happy to be Nappy.
    No white person told us to use the hair crack. We made that choice.
    White folk ain't never been fair.
    We have to take back our hair. How many Black women are prepared to wear their natural hair, straight, Afro, locks.
    I look forward to the day when all Black women will be natural.
    Even better a day when all Black women will wear their hair Afro styled.

1. Alabama Wrongful Termination Laws | WrongfulTerminationLaws.com
      http://www.wrongfulterminationlaws....on-law/state-job-termination-laws/alabama.htm - 129k - Cached - Similar pages
      In Alabama, as in other states, employees work at will. This means an employee can be fired at any time and for any reason, or for no reason at all, as long as ...

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +877

6. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +877

7. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    What's to stand for? Our own brand of beauty. I think WW don't appreciate us looking good in our own natural hair. They would prefer us coming in second place, trying to look like them. How dare AA women proudly sporting long, healthy, flowing locks.

Let me repost this link. WW were incensed with Sisters getting attention from WM due to their creative beautiful natural hairstyles, even way back when The game hasn't changed, only the players:

https://destee.com/threads/shocking...nned-from-wearing-their-hair-in-public.84764/

8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +932
    When internet people use the phrase, "The Blacks" I assume they are white.... IJS

What WE need to do... is not be so concerned about what other folks are thinking. If I'm your best employee, yet you choose to let me go because you don't like my hair..... Then Peace! Jobs are everywhere and you can't be scared of what 1 person thinks.

In that same vein folks could say that if you don't have locs you can't work for said company. If someone wants you out.... you're gonna be out. No need to fight to work at a company you probably didn't like in the first place because they don't like how you look

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +877
    Because Our Hair Is Always Political: 6 Black Women Fired For Their Hairstyles

Let’s just be real, there are many ways to keep a group of people from progressing and one such method that’s come up quite often in recent years is enforcing rules for black hair. From new dress codes that popped up out of the blue to arbitrary guidelines regarding what hairstyles are appropriate for “others” and which aren’t for us, the six black women on this list made headlines when their employers gave them the boot, all under the guise of professional policing.

* 6 Black Women Fired For Their Hairstyles
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015/09/women-fired-for-their-hairstyles/ - 101k - Cached - Similar pages
Sep 7, 2015 ... Because Our Hair Is Always Political: 6 Black Women Fired For Their Hairstyles ... that's come up quite often in recent years is enforcing rules for black hair. ... Tags: Ashley Davis, discrimination, farryn johnson, hair, Jessica ...

Attached Files:

10. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +877
    Hairstyles of Black Women: Cases of Discrimination

Mainstream society still falters at the acceptance of natural hair and hairstyles of Black women, which has led to legal action against discrimination.

Hairstyles of Black Women: Cases of Discrimination | DiversityInc
    http://www.diversityinc.com/news/hairstyles-of-black-women-cases-of-discrimination/ - 130k - Cached - Similar pages
    Apr 9, 2015 ... Mainstream society still falters at the acceptance of natural hair and hairstyles of Black women, which has led to legal action against ...