Black People : Emmett Till's 1955 Murder Probe Reopened

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 12, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,690
    Hello Family,

I reck'n better late than never ...

:heart:

Destee

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks Destee

My parents told me about this :read: story when I was young. It still saddens :( me today. I'm going to check out this link, thanks sister :wave:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I might be wrong, but I fail to see the purpose of this. Emmett Till's killers are long dead themselves. What exactly is this new probe going to prove? That Mississippi was an extremely racist place in the 1950s? Punish people when they did the crime. To let killers live their life...provide for their family...then try to prosecute them in their 90s is a joke. :mad:

4. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Panafrica

I was thinking the exact same thing...what's the point???...The article said that there MAY be others involved, but so much time has passed, will the ever really get what ever it is they are seeking?...I don't know...smh..I would like to read the letter written by Mfume maybe that would shine some light on reason for re opening this case after the killers are loooong gone.

5. sistahisis

sistahisis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing Destee! i'm glad that they are reopening this case.... HOWEVER, it would be nice if they would reopen every case from that time period involving non-white persons. i know i have big dreams but i just had to put that out there. until ALL americans admit that we have a SERIOUS problem with race(what a funny term) relations, no such thing will happen.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,690
    Brother Pan ... i disagree. The Justice Department says justice must be served ... even though the killers are dead ... even though many years have passed ... even though Emmett's Mother died with this pain ... even though Mississippi is still racist. Perhaps the killers have children that are living off the wealth left to them. Perhaps Emmett has Family that can receive some compensation.

If the Justice Department is willing to address this wrong, perhaps they are not far from seeking justice for all those Black folk before Emmett ... our Ancestors ... Slaves ... that were victimized and never received any justice ... for the same circumstances apply.

This is a good thing.

Destee

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Would this miscarriage of justice not open the door to the state of Mississippi (the United States government, in the case of reparations) being sued ... or whoever the proper authorities were?

I see no difference in this case and the case for reparations. While it may not directly open the door to that justice, the foundations are the same.

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,690
    Oh My Gosh !!!! :eeek:

lol

ohhhhh Pan !!!!

i meant to click reply and musta clicked edit instead !!!!

i deleted your post and responded to the part of it that i wanted !!!!

i mean ... i didn't delete it ... i edited it ... but meant to quote it and add my response!

Dang Dang Dang !!!!

I'm Sorry !!!! :cry:

It's gone now ... unless you remember what you said ... :lol: ... and can add it back !!!

Oh Gosh ... I'm So Sorry !!!!

Destee

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I think you all make good points here. reparations were asked for in 1863 but Congress ignored the slaves.

Some involved in the murder are still alive. So go after them, if nothing else, pull their shorts down and show their butts, ( butts is a term for ignorance ) they did then.

( my mother used to say if you or someone show their *** ( butt ) then pull their shorts down for the world to see. ) :grin:

Let their family's and social friends know. That we now know their fathers and mothers condoned this type of behavior.

============= This was in the WALL STREET JOURNAL ====

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/793884/posts

Reason in Disrepair -- A Conference on Slavery Reparations turns into a Ceremony of Rage
    The Wall Street Journal ^ | Friday. November 22, 2002 | ALLEN GUELZO

Posted on 11/22/2002 6:54:19 AM PST by TroutStalker
    Edited on 04/22/2004 11:47:33 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Reparations for slavery were one of the first concerns raised by blacks after emancipation in 1863. They have since come to address, along with slavery, Jim Crow, race riots, and other indignities and cruelties heaped upon black Americans in the days before the Civil Rights movement. Reparations are not, on their face, simply a dismissible idea or merely a partisan one. If we recognize any force in the arguments in favor of reparations for the Holocaust or for the interning of Japanese-Americans during World War II, then there's nothing illogical about considering some form of reparations to American blacks.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    No Destee, I don't remember everything I said.............let's just both agree that I was right. :lol: