Black People : Embracing Whiteness Won’t Save You

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Liberty, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    upload_2016-12-19_17-38-52.png

Black people: Embracing whiteness won’t save us.

Last week Lee Daniels went on record again stating that much of his success can be attributed to his not embracing racism. Daniels went on to state that he doesn’t “have time to deal with racism” and expressed that his denial of racism in our country came from a place of not wanting to be seen as the “angry black man.”

Earlier this year we experienced the same rhetoric from Stacey Dash when she went on record stating that she, too, didn’t feed into ideals of racism. Like Daniels, Dash felt that other actors and actresses who do call out racism in the entertainment industry have the mindset of a “plantation slave” and are “simply living in a psychological prison of their own making.” We even see Kanye recently commiserating with Donald Trump, sharing that if he had he voted, he would have voted for Trump.

Read more

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/12/embracing-whiteness-wont-save-you/

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    :11100: pressure shows where people are coming from. some will go along, some will rebel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Hermetic

Hermetic Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +313
    I feel he definitely embraces racism, because his shows and movies seem to be full of racist stereotypes. So from my perspective he helps propagate it.

4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I am wondering if AAs should boycott celebrities who say such things. Maybe if they had to count on the support of the "wypipo" they so vigilantly defend, to put food on their tables, they might be more responsible when they spout off such bs.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,438
    :11100: sorry, we loves us some empire...

6. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    That's the problem. I don't watch it. I watched two episodes to see what the hoopla was all about. But, I'm not a TV person, in general.

I think AAs really, really, need to start voting with our pocketbooks. It is the most powerful statement we can ever make, imo. We watch this shite on TV and then complain about it. We watch it (collectively) with a "let's see how they're gonna disrespect us this time" kinda attitude", that still boosts Nielson ratings.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  7. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +378
    Black people have never had the option to embrace or not embrace racism. Best believe, It'll embrace us.

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Maybe "embrace" isn't the best ways to describe a person who recognizes and acknowledges that racism and racists exist. I'm not going to embrace racism, but I'm also not going to deny that I have experienced it and have seen other Black people experience it as well.

In terms of watching what some might call "entertainment" today . . . my heads in another place and I'm careful to select that which is supposedly designed to distract me or get me caught up into a fantasy world that adds no value to my life. We've allowed Hollywood to shape the way we think for too long and I seldom see where it benefits us as a people. What it does is keep some of us chasing after the white man's dream where so few attain it that it's almost impossible to measure. And those that do make it, what are they doing outside the entertainment field?

Our sense and sensibilities are keeping us held down as we live in the land of (fill in the blank).

My humble opinion, of course.

9. 103 ao kiji

103 ao kiji Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +86
    Celebrities keep their mouths shut on that subject, fear is a powerful motivator i guess, wonder if they thought about how long it will last