Black People : Elimination of poverty = Elimination of racism?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Interesting clip from Harry Belafonte who discusses some of his conversations with Dr King.

If you eliminate poverty - you'd set the most powerful force for the elimination of racism. agree?

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Keep in mind that he is talking about the "global redistribution of wealth".

If this were possible it might not exactly end "racism" but it would lessen the class divisions in societies which would lessen the effects of institutionalized racism.

I agree with this in theory but don't see how it's possible, but it goes to the strategy of some African leaders dealing with what they refer to as "globalization" which has created a disparity of wealth among nations.

3. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    The Klu Klux Klan was generated by .......

unskilled whites who were jealous of the emancipated craftsmen who had skills by force, so during reconstructionthere were quite a few Black Wall streets,

JEALOUSY BREEDS RACISM
    As long as one is poor and in the pj's then "they" feel safe but make 6 figures, live in the burbs, and own 2 SUVs THEN OH BOY YOU DID IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I agree, Brother Omowale.

I too, dont see 'how' it is possible but know it can be possible. The maginitude of the concept would not allow a singular solution - but, for us laymen (me) I believe if more started within our own homes and communities - retaining our wealth - that already would change the impact of the Black nation on the globe.

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    elimination of poverty...

a beautiful theory,but it won't happen in this lifetime because the powers that be have set things in motion going back to before there was a united states to ensure that only a chosen few will be at the top-some in the middle-and many at or near the bottom of the world's economic richness.