Black People : ELDERS JAMES AND PDIANE, SHARE WITH US YOUR WISDOM...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Over the past few days I have on, ocassion, become troubled by my own behavior at this board. I sense that, perhaps, I have stepped out of line with some of my thoughts, some of my passion, and said some things I need to apologize for. I was brought up to be respectful of my elders whether they were 1 or 100 years older than I...

Some may not know, nor care that that is how it was in the African American community 35, 40, 50 years ago, or that this kinship custom of respect of elders is as African as it gets, but I live to tell those who don't know that I cannot, nor do I, want to ever forget the importance of respecting my elders, and having them share the wisdom of their experiences with me, and the family. The very LAST thing I would ever want to do is chase away the wisdom of an elder by being a knucklehead.

So I thought it appropriate to dedicate this thread to our well known Elders at this board, Sister Pdiane and brother JamesFrmPhilly. They frequently share themselves and their experiences with us in given threads, but I think such a thread as this can serve as their "teaching Stump", if you will... An Oral History teaching forum, where they can come, and just teach, and say whatever is on their mind, and not have to concern themselves with any young folk treading on SACRED GROUND, so to speak... A place where the youth ask questions, listen and take notes from the elders...

We have oft spoken on the value system of old in our communities... We have not been able to fully explain the many aspects of the value system so that it is plain and clear for our youth. Perhaps, then, I will pose the very first question on this thread to our elders, concerning the African American Value system of old... What was it, this value system, and how and when did we lose it???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is a fantastic gesture brother Isaiah!

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    we lost it when we assimilated with the devil....

when we had a clearly defined external enemy it was all much easier.
    with integration many of us, myself included, thought the war was over and we could just kick back and enjoy.

wrong!

i supported capitalism and integration early on.
    the white women were free and easy.
    it was only when i began to notice that certain things were shared and certain things were not shared that i began to wonder.
    i noticed that the money always flowed out of the community and we were getting poorer and poorer.

i figured out that ms Anne was easy because she was of no value.

everywhere i looked we were getting co opted.
    all the things that blacks created ended up benefiting whites.
    black people were blaming their selves for what was going on.
    the black community began to fall apart, fragment and turn on itself.

i had a lot of personal problems and i went into therapy and did a lot of work taking myself apart and putting myself back together again.
    i actually graduated from therapy when i found that i didn't like white people too much.

then i knew my head was clear.

i don't have any special advice, i just want to be part of the mix.
    my personal ambition is simple.
    i just want to sell a piece of my art to a black person.
    i've been selling to white people through white agents for years.
    i will continue to do that.

the day that a black person steps up and pays cash for my work, i will be done here on earth.

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Wow, that's powerful right there.

PEACE

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    i agree !!! :toast:

i love you Brother Isaiah ... :love:

:heart:

Destee

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, can you share with the youth(and some not so young)WHY African Americans chose to assimilate with the devil? Was this process helped along by the teachings of Black leaders, the media, intelligence agencies, or all of the above???

Oh, also, how long has this process been going on??? Some folk would clearly trace it to the time when we stepped upon these shores, and I would agree... They would say, I think, that Our Ancestors did so as a means to survive... Maybe there is a difference between the Ancestors, and those folks in the 1960's, who CHOSE to, not only assimilate themselves, but infect the rest of us with their bug.. I have a zillion questions, so take your time, brother(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

I would be remiss if I didn't, also, mention Brother OldSoul in there with the Council Of Elders at this board, who've continued to be a blessing to us all... I think this thread should also be dedicated to our brother from Chicago, who always brings us the wisdom of his incredible life experiences... Oral History at it's absolute best... Ring in, dear brother, we'd love to hear from you on this thread, as well... In fact, all those Elders who post here unbeknownst to me, this is thread is dedicated to you all... Feel free to bless us with your wisdom...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Thank you, Destee and Pan... I think this was long overdue... The Elders need their own platform from which to deliver their prescription for our salvation... I hope we all can and will respect their sacred space...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    In my humble opinion family, we lost our value system with intergration. When I am in Afraka. God knows Afraka is poor. But family is so strong it makes me want to cry, poverty in all. The mother, the father, the second wife in some cases, the young adults, the children, the babies all stay in one household. When one gets married you marry the family and they marry yours. When their is a problem, the families come together. When an elder dies, everyone stays together. They eat together from the same tray, 3 times a day.

Brother Isaiah, on another post you shared with us the Rites of Passage in Afraka. This is how it is there. Poverty is painful, poverty makes Afrakans do bad things, but for the most part it is a beautiful, peacful oriented continent.

I mention this because, we Afrakans of amerikkka, exemplified that here back in the day, to a great extend. We did it without conscious knowledge of our a specific culture, our language, rites of passage or anything. We just knew that we had to help each other, uncle drug addict Joe, uncle drunk John, crazy aunt Sue. They lived with us or were always around for Sunday dinner. After church, we had to go visit the elders in ther smelly houses every Sunday and listen to their wise words. :nono: My mother stayed home in our poor project apartment, me and my two sisters slept in the same bed, she sewed our clothes, cooked us lunch after school. Poverty was painful, but we had our people, our mothers, our fathers, our families.

With intergration came white culture, diabolic behavior, individualism, sick ways of thinking. What we really must be clear about is that we have adopted a culture that goes against our very nature. Thus causing physical illness, mental illness, and dispair.

Seperation is part of the answer to our problem. We need to be off to ourselves, healing ourselves, loving ourselves, develping ourselves with the recognition that we absolutely cannot let them anywhere near us ever again. If we cannot get away from white folks, then pretend they are not there by developing our own institutions, like asians and jews.

Minister Farrakhan along with African centered people all over the world recognize this and have been working toward this. I pray we listen, I pray we care, if not for us then for the sake our children.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    i figured since white folks had all the best stuff (houses, cars, etc.) i wanted to be over there where they are.
    so off i went.

the best way to get to know somebody is to live with them and after a while i found it wasn't like it said in the movies.

i think black people felt they were making a better life for their selves by integrating.
    it turned out to be a mistake but i don't blame anyone for trying.