Black People : ELDERS JAMES AND PDIANE, SHARE WITH US YOUR WISDOM...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Over the past few days I have on, ocassion, become troubled by my own behavior at this board. I sense that, perhaps, I have stepped out of line with some of my thoughts, some of my passion, and said some things I need to apologize for. I was brought up to be respectful of my elders whether they were 1 or 100 years older than I...

Some may not know, nor care that that is how it was in the African American community 35, 40, 50 years ago, or that this kinship custom of respect of elders is as African as it gets, but I live to tell those who don't know that I cannot, nor do I, want to ever forget the importance of respecting my elders, and having them share the wisdom of their experiences with me, and the family. The very LAST thing I would ever want to do is chase away the wisdom of an elder by being a knucklehead.

So I thought it appropriate to dedicate this thread to our well known Elders at this board, Sister Pdiane and brother JamesFrmPhilly. They frequently share themselves and their experiences with us in given threads, but I think such a thread as this can serve as their "teaching Stump", if you will... An Oral History teaching forum, where they can come, and just teach, and say whatever is on their mind, and not have to concern themselves with any young folk treading on SACRED GROUND, so to speak... A place where the youth ask questions, listen and take notes from the elders...

We have oft spoken on the value system of old in our communities... We have not been able to fully explain the many aspects of the value system so that it is plain and clear for our youth. Perhaps, then, I will pose the very first question on this thread to our elders, concerning the African American Value system of old... What was it, this value system, and how and when did we lose it???

Peace!
Isaiah

we lost it when we assimilated with the devil....

when we had a clearly defined external enemy it was all much easier.
with integration many of us, myself included, thought the war was over and we could just kick back and enjoy.

wrong!

i supported capitalism and integration early on.
the white women were free and easy.
it was only when i began to notice that certain things were shared and certain things were not shared that i began to wonder.
i noticed that the money always flowed out of the community and we were getting poorer and poorer.

i figured out that ms Anne was easy because she was of no value.

everywhere i looked we were getting co opted.
all the things that blacks created ended up benefiting whites.
black people were blaming their selves for what was going on.
the black community began to fall apart, fragment and turn on itself.

i had a lot of personal problems and i went into therapy and did a lot of work taking myself apart and putting myself back together again.
i actually graduated from therapy when i found that i didn't like white people too much.

then i knew my head was clear.

i don't have any special advice, i just want to be part of the mix.
my personal ambition is simple.
i just want to sell a piece of my art to a black person.
i've been selling to white people through white agents for years.
i will continue to do that.

the day that a black person steps up and pays cash for my work, i will be done here on earth.

jamesfrmphilly said:
i supported capitalism and integration early on.
the white women were free and easy.
it was only when i began to notice that certain things were shared and certain things were not shared that i began to wonder.
i noticed that the money always flowed out of the community and we were getting poorer and poorer.

i figured out that ms Anne was easy because she was of no value.

Wow, that's powerful right there.

PEACE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back