Black Spirituality Religion : Elder Sekhemu - Yoruba African Folktale

Alexandra

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 13, 2008
Brother Metasaience posted a wonderful youtube clip in which Denzel Washington tells the story of Ananse the spider and shortly thereafter I picked up a boook on African Folktales, which has proven to be an engaging and thought-provoking read. There is one folktale in particular whose hidden meaning I am unsure about and was wondering if you would be kind enough to enlighten me.

A hunter had three dogs named 'Cut to Pieces', 'Swallow up' and 'Clear the remains' and a magic flute by which he could call them up wherever he was. He went hunting, leaving his dogs tied up in the compount, but telling his wife to release them if they became agitated.

Everyday, a huge monster with her body covered with mouths stole all the meat he had killed the previous day. Finally, he waited in his camp to confront her but she did not come. He tied up his loads and left, shouting an insult at her. She came with an angry roar, and he fled, climbing to the top of a great tree and calling his dogs by name with his flute.

The monster began to eat the base of the tree with her many great mouths, but the hunter sprinkled magic powder on the tree and it became whole again. This continued until the powder was finished and the tree was nearly cut through. Suddenly, the three dogs arrived, having broken their ropes and living up to their names, they devoured the monster completely.

The monster's sister appeared to the hunter as a beautiful woman who offered to become his second wife, and he took her home. That night, she resumed the form of a monster and tried to kill the hunter and his first wife but was torn to pieces by the three dogs

Taken from African Folktales in the New World by BASCOM, William

9780253207364.gif

Brother Metasaience posted a wonderful youtube clip in which Denzel Washington tells the story of Ananse the spider and shortly thereafter I picked up a boook on African Folktales, which has proven to be an engaging and thought-provoking read. There is one folktale in particular whose hidden meaning I am unsure about and was wondering if you would be kind enough to enlighten me.

A hunter had three dogs named 'Cut to Pieces', 'Swallow up' and 'Clear the remains' and a magic flute by which he could call them up wherever he was. He went hunting, leaving his dogs tied up in the compount, but telling his wife to release them if they became agitated.

Everyday, a huge monster with her body covered with mouths stole all the meat he had killed the previous day. Finally, he waited in his campt to confront her but she did not come. He tied up his loads and left, shouting an insult at her. She came with an angry roar, and he fled, climbing to the top of a great tree and calling his dogs by name with his flute.

The monster began to eate the base of the tree with her many great mouths, but the hunter sprinkled magic powder on the tree and it became whole again. This continued until the powder was finished and the tree was nearly cut through. Suddenly, the three dogs arrived, having broken their ropes and living up to their names, they devoured the monster completely.

The monster's sister appeared to the hunter as a beautiful woman who offered to become his second wife, and he took her home. That night, she resumed the form of a monster and tried to kill the hunter and his first wife but was torn to pieces by the three dogs

9780253207364.gif

Greetings Alexandria

Thank you for reaching out to me to solicit my insights.

Its a little difficult to tell if this is a Pataki("myth") or an Odu.

Unfortunately I'm at work and time does not permit me to give a comprehensive explanation of the aforementioned story.

However the theme of the story centers around 3 central entities; Ogun, an aspect of Oshun and Egun.

I'll be sure to return this afternoon.

Peace and light

Greetings Alexandria

Thank you for reaching out to me to solicit my insights.

Its a little difficult to tell if this is a Pataki("myth") or an Odu.

Unfortunately I'm at work and time does not permit me to give a comprehensive explanation of the aforementioned story.

However the theme of the story centers around 3 central entities; Ogun, an aspect of Oshun and Egun.

I'll be sure to return this afternoon.

Peace and light

Thank you Elder Sekhemu for this, just the names of the three Orishas is enough to allow me to form a conclusion, but if you do have time later on, a more detailed explanation will be most appreciated.

Peace and light to you too.

A

Everyday, a huge monster with her body covered with mouths stole all the meat he had killed the previous day. Finally, he waited in his campt to confront her but she did not come. He tied up his loads and left, shouting an insult at her. She came with an angry roar, and he fled, climbing to the top of a great tree and calling his dogs by name with his flute.

The monster began to eate the base of the tree with her many great mouths, but the hunter sprinkled magic powder on the tree and it became whole again. This continued until the powder was finished and the tree was nearly cut through. Suddenly, the three dogs arrived, having broken their ropes and living up to their names, they devoured the monster completely.

9780253207364.gif

Sorry for getting back to you so late beloved. Incidentally I just finished making an offering to Ogun.

That being said, I'm going to present a few clues, maybe you can fill in a few blanks :em0100:

One thing you should be aware of if Ogun represents force or energy and all that comes with it. Additionally, Ogun's first wife was Oya (divinity of the winds of change)

The hunter is definately Ogun. In Odu Ogunda Meji it says that the dog is Ogun's favorite animal, particuliarly black dogs. As you probably know, dogs are one of the most loyal and trusted animals on earth.

Ogun lives in the forest and has a thorough working knowlege of all Omeiro (healing plants and herbs)

I mentioned in another thread that it was Ogun who provided the means, and iron chain (tree?) for the Irunmole to descend from Orun (heaven) to (Earthr) Aiye, and back up again.

It is also who Ogun, the first Orisa to taste blood (hint) before any ebo can be performed, enables all the other Orisa to indulge in said rituals.

The beautiful woman is Oshun, however the form that she resumed is probably another aspect of Oshun in Odu Osa Meji is known as Iyami Aje (0ur mother who eats) and is able to bring tranquilty and peace to man as well as the ability to remove it.

I'm gonna stop right here for the time being

Sorry for getting back to you so late beloved. Incidentally I just finished making an offering to Ogun.

That being said, I'm going to present a few clues, maybe you can fill in a few blanks :em0100:

One thing you should be aware of if Ogun represents force or energy and all that comes with it. Additionally, Ogun's first wife was Oya (divinity of the winds of change)

The hunter is definately Ogun. In Odu Ogunda Meji it says that the dog is Ogun's favorite animal, particuliarly black dogs. As you probably know, dogs are one of the most loyal and trusted animals on earth.

Ogun lives in the forest and has a thorough working knowlege of all Omeiro (healing plants and herbs)

I mentioned in another thread that it was Ogun who provided the means, and iron chain (tree?) for the Irunmole to descend from Orun (heaven) to (Earthr) Aiye, and back up again.

It is also who Ogun, the first Orisa to taste blood (hint) before any ebo can be performed, enables all the other Orisa to indulge in said rituals.

The beautiful woman is Oshun, however the form that she resumed is probably another aspect of Oshun in Odu Osa Meji is known as Iyami Aje (0ur mother who eats) and is able to bring tranquilty and peace to man as well as the ability to remove it.

I'm gonna stop right here for the time being

Thank you Elder Sekhemu for taking the time to explain this. I do find it interesting that he was not able to kill her himself, is there a hidden meaning behind this?

Peace,
A

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back