Black Relationships : Elder couple wise move...

dustyelbow

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 25, 2005
As I was saying before I met couple of the community of this nature... a bonus about this couple is then man have World War 2 experience. He was one of the many MEN who came back from DEFENDING the NATION from HITLER. A ENEMY hardly nobody was ABLE to STAND UP to as a GROUP.

And if he and HIS WIFE and HIS FAMILY and HIS COMMUNITY and THE NATION is HERE NOW it WORKED.

But this STUFF is of the PAST. UNDERSTANDABLY. Today the GROUNDS are very DIFFERENT.

PICTURES when you CLICK the LINK.

60 years together
Couple endures racial bias and husband's stroke
By Diana Washington Valdez / El Paso Times
El Paso Times
Article Launched:09/21/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT
Johnnie and James Carter recently renewed their marriage vows and celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.

"It was an anniversary (Aug. 26) they thought they would not get to see," said Vera Carter, their daughter. "My father had a heart attack and stroke that crippled him. Last year, he couldn't remember anyone."

But, he recovered, and some of the effects of the stroke were reversed.

In their 60 years together, the Carters weathered other storms, including racial discrimination.

"We moved to El Paso in 1962, and back then, we had to ask if it was all right if we could stay in certain hotels or eat in certain restaurants because blacks weren't allowed," Johnnie Carter said. "I was a certified teacher but wasn't allowed to teach at the public schools. (Eventually), I was allowed to substitute-teach at Douglass, which was the school for blacks at the time. After things changed, I got a job teaching home economics at Bowie High School, where I taught for 24 years."

Despite those hard times, "I fell in love with El Paso and its weather and didn't want to ever leave this place," said Johnnie Carter.

James Carter, who drove an ambulance during World War II, was accepted into the first airborne unit that allowed black soldiers to join, the 555th (Triple Nickels) Airborne Battalion. During the war, Gen. George S. Patton was one of his patients.

When he returned to the U.S., James Carter met his future wife on a train.

"I was a man who wanted a family. I'd been all over the world and met many different women. But I met the right one in Tupelo, Mississippi," he said of his wife, Johnnie. "We tried to pattern our marriage after our parents. My father and mother were together for 60 years."

After retiring from the Army, James Carter, a former master sergeant, taught missile guidance for the civil service. He retired for good with a total of 58 years of government service.

This month, the Carters will also celebrate their birthdays. He turns 83 on Monday and she 82 on Thursday.

"My parents taught us to remember the good things and to make the best of whatever you had," Vera Carter said.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back