Black People : Edward Barneys: "Father Of Propoganda" - Origins Of Media Manipulation

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Apr 23, 2013.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Wow!

Well, I don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to see how this video goes hand-in-hand with my findings of which I just posted recently.

In his 1928 publication, Propaganda, he says,

“if we understand the mechanisms and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without them knowing it. ”

I remember a book one of my childern's mandatory requirement in school to read a book called, The Wisdom of Crowds, and although I can't remember its content, I've since done more research about this ideology. I think the only way to deal with this kind of underhanded way for a system to act is to put forth HONESTY, to be honest. Thank you for posting this video!

So, his uncle is Sigmund Freud!

3. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    I think the public should make considerable efforts of understanding this thing called "propaganda". How it is used, especially when used to deceive the public.

4. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    There is an old museum here, and this thread reminded me about it because it has very old advertisment adds, huge posters, when cigarettes were commercialized everywhere, on TV, in movies, and etc. And pretty women were used to sale them. Because this is big money here in Durham, because of the Tobacco plant, the museum really is an eye opener of how propaganda was used and so effective. Now though, there are still a lot of older women, European women like, in their 90s+ that still smoke heavily!

I remember that some of my step fathers people, the Black women in his family, the older ones, they rely heavily on 'snuff'! This was big business too. And his older women have those nasty little cups besides their beds or chairs and such, so they can spit in them, from chewing snuff. And I remember when I used to live in Texas, the young White guys, the cowboy hat wearing, boot wearing guys would chew snuff in the high schools, lol!--and the administrations tried to stop them, because they would spit in certain areas of the hallways...Now, America becomes so 'good' smh, and spend lots of money trying to help Americans to stop smoking due to health reasons and connections to cancer...but their trade became good in other places int he world like in China where I hear they now have a big problem...

propaganda and trade power...seems to go hand-in-hand.

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Interesting that Sigmund Freud's nephew wrote the book on propaganda. As the first video says, Goebbels used propaganda. He was, in fact, the Propaganda Minister of the Nazis. No once before or since, however (or in correlation to Goebbels) used propaganda more effectively than Adolph Hitler, e.g., "tell a lie. A BIG lie. Make it big enough and tell it often enough and people will believe it."

It's interesting that Freud's nephew "codified" the idea used so effectively by the Nazis which resulted in the mass murder of the presumably Jewish author's people, as well precipitated his uncle's permanent flight from his homeland of Germany.

6. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I read that book in highschool...and thank god (or some other deity) for that. I'd rather dive headfirst off a skyscraper and catch my eyelid on a rusty nail 3 qtrs of the way down than read anything else from the 'Bronte sisters'.
    ..but for whatever its worth at least that book is a classic.
    how you gon' have a gt/honors english class reading from the 'Chicken noodle of the soul' series...really? that's the kinda bull**** they had us reading. they were supposed to be providing us with a challenging curriculum...but our teacher, though a sweetheart, turned every period into a 90 minute psychotherapy session. we read every incarnation of 'chicken noodles' ...and every day? she would read a story, close the book, give us a meaningful misty eyed look...and start hollaring.

anyway....
    'Propaganda' made loads of sense then. it makes total sense now. even now its difficult to differentiate between needs and wants. somewhat. I had this discussion a few seconds ago with a coworker. I complain about my directv bill but heres the basic truth: i NEED hbo and starz (and showtime) in my life. If 'got rid' of my premium channels how would i watch 'Game of Thrones'...and 'the Borgias' (and 'spartacus'...before the finale)? #firstworldproblems

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    lol!

I don't nor can get in to the Bronte sisters either.

8. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    When I used to do presentations and workshops, one of the ways I would begin, as an ice breaker and to pull the audience's attention in, is by telling everyone that in less than 3 minutes I can program the minds of 85 to 95% of those present to give me a response I wish for.

I would do an exercise afterwards where I would say a particular word over and over and over again for about one minute up to 2 minutes. Then I would ask a question for the audience to answer. They were to speak the first thing that comes to mind.

A word I would usually use was "white". I would say "white" over and over varying repetition speed and tone. Then I would ask "what do cow's drink?"

The typical response from about 98% of the room would be "milk."

The media's role in propaganda is amazing.