Black People : Education vs. Entrepreneurship

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Apr 7, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    In this country, many blacks feel that education is the 'answer' to obtaining socioeconomic freedom. Thus, they go to college, immersing themselves in a great deal of debt, bust their butt to make good grades then get out. But when they get out, they have trouble finding jobs, often times settling for employment paying them significantly less than what they were expecting. And even as they move up the corporate ladder, they are not viewed or paid in the same manner as their white counterparts.

Are we putting too much emphasis on education? Should we be more focused on teaching our kids how to embark on entreprenurial ventures? And when I say 'entreprenurial ventures' I don't necessarily mean a brick-and-mortar business (though the black community sorely needs these too). Thanks to the Internet, there are literally a wealth of legitimate things you could do, ranging from affiliate marketing (where you promote websites for companies such as Amazon), selling a service (such as word processing), to owning an online store which could be stocked using dropshipped products (you don't even have to carry inventory). I myself am experimenting with dropshipping and affliate marketing. These entreprenurial methods are low or no-cost; you could work at Mcdonalds and find success if you work hard enough and stick with it through the frustrations.

Don't get me wrong, education is important. But a lot of blacks have lost a piece of themselves getting wrapped up into Corporate America's impossible standards. Imagine what could be accomplished socioeconomically if blacks put half of the time and energy towards starting their own business as they do trying to move up the Corporate ladder.

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    In a word yes. i agree that education is important but entarpreneurship is lacking big time amongst aa's. although i would argue things are getting better. Growing up my fam couldnt seem to look past going to college and getting a job even to the point where would chastise young blacks for being non comformists, alternative hair styles ect. I too am investing in both internet and brick and mortar, as well as formal education.

I will take it a step further and say that business ownership is the ONLY way for AA's, and A's through out the world. i mean what good is an engineer , scientist, or doctor if he still has to beg whites 4 work.

one

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I couldn't have imagined myself thinking this 10 years ago. However after observing the career paths of the average black college graduate & comparing them to blacks who only had high school (or technical school) training. Those blacks who had technical/high school training, and used that training towards entreprenurial ends, were actually more successful than their college educated counterparts. I'm not talking about a handful of cases either. I've observed this on a consistant basis. The future of the black community is indeed forming our own businesses, this was very well said Karmashines!

4. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    ^ Not to mention those individuals starting their own business were probably much happier.

I use to think education was the 'answer', until I got out in the real world. Like everyone else, I busted my butt through school earning the appropriate grades, Associate's Degree, and certifications, but it wasn't enough. I ended up establishing a career in a field so opposite from what I majored in it's ridiculous.

I have given up on Corporate America. My last job was typical corporate; the pay was excellent, but the supervisor was a racist, crazed *****. The environment was stuffy and snobbish on top of that. They'd call you out if you went to the bathroom too many times. And no matter how hard you work, you're never appreciated. **** that **** (excuse my french). The job that I have now involves me working 100% at home, and I don't have to deal with that whatsoever. I'm hoping, however, to have complete financial freedom by establishing myself entreprenurially. That way transcription (which can be somewhat tedious at times), would be optional.

Now, if I could only convince my mom more of my viewpoint. She's really pressed on me getting a Bachelor's and moving up in Corporate. I don't have the time or interest in all of this though; the little bit of free time I have I'd rather be working on one of my online stores, or promoting my affliate links. I have no desire to ever be a traditional employee, unless my financial situation was extremely dire. And even then, I would not intend on moving up, because half the time they don't want to even give you a chance!

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    werd entrapreneurship can be tedious, but its worth it.i never could see my self in corporate amerikkka, thats why i left school. Now a days i work on my bizinesses and find my self wanting to take college courses just for growth.

6. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Exactly, that's how it is for me!

How do you deal with friends and family who are not supportive of your decisions, particularly when the business isn't going well, or you just started it?

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Its frustrating, sometimes they dont understand that business takes years to get off of the ground. But they are very supportive, I just chalk it up as old skool vs new skool feel me? Im a gen xer my gen and the gens after us are more entrapreneurial mined. Not to say the baby boomers and rag timers were not but there was a change duriong civil rights. that change had people fooled ya know, they were not fools yet to optamistic thinking yts can change.

I travel through blk areas and am frustrated at the asians and arabs gettin money off of us, cant be mad at them theyre just doing what we r to lazy, ignorant, or misguided to do.

one

would love to see ur sites btw

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yes, education is important, but entrepreneurship is much more important. With education, it's a safe way to secure "A Job", not necessarily a good job that fit's your qualifications. Most parents/ grandparents wants their kids to go to college for years just to be safe and make sure they have a job, whether it's the job that will make you happy or not. They don't want you to take chances because they care about your survival, but as an individual you have to go for what you want in life. Black people need to find that fine line that allows us to get education that will support our dreams, not spend 30k to go work for someone else. That's why education is such a rip-off, because they know the skills they're teaching you will only take you so far. You have to carry yourself the rest of the way if you want to be happy. It sucks that many of us are mislead into believing that the longer you go to school, the more successful you'll be.

9. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    One of my sites is down, and the other one is unfinished. Both of them showcase products that I am selling from a dropshipper called Wholesale Marketer.

As far as family support --- ugh! My husband has recently started supporting me, because he's starting to see the potential in what I'm doing, but my mom is very brainwashed in believing education is the only answer. When I tell her about online stores she says that they won't work because of Amazon. I then tell her in the Internet world it doesn't always work that way... if you can get placed high in search engines, along with other forms of traffic-building, you will get sales. But I get tired of wasting my breath. The only thing that would convince her entrepreuership is the answer for me is if I'm able to pull in six figures, something that's not going to be happening any time soon. That's why I am glad I do have a stable source of income for my bread and butter, that's almost as good as entreprenuership.

I agree with your other point on Asians, Arabs, and every other race making money in the black community but blacks. Though I can't blame someone for trying to find a way to provide for themselves and their families, they aren't doing anything that blacks can't do.

10. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Excellent points!