"Education, the Key to Prosperity."

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by jvbzook, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jvbzook

jvbzook Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    When are, we, as a people, going to start working with our youth to eliminate the lies that are fed to them by the media that prevent them from achieving to their fullest potential? When are we, going to stand up and fight the idea, pervasive in our youth, that if you are excelling in school, in advanced classes and dominating (academically) you classmates, you are “acting white”. This idea is absurd! Throughout history, we have pushed education when it was forbidden upon pain of death! Even during Jim Crow, we created over 150 colleges to serves our children when the mainstream ones refused to let us in. When mainstream businesses refused our money, we became entrepreneurs and set up thriving districts such as Little Hayti in Durham, North Carolina and Black Wall Street in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This all happened, because we educated ourselves, either formally or informally!!

Now, after our people fought to open doors to the mainstream of American intellectual life, a thief come in the night to steal the victory and perseverance from our kids; the idea that academic excellence is “acting white”, our ridicule of our brothers and sisters who strive for educational and professional excellence. As they go forward in their academic accomplishments, we have Black idiots taunting them with the label “acting white.” Do not confuse professionalism or academic excellence with “acting white.” One has nothing in the world to do with the other. In fact, those Black folks who do not encourage nor support their fellow Black students or Black businesses are actually the ones “acting white.” They also act white when they do not sound their objections or defend against other races that denigrate their Black brothers and sisters, or when they mistreat their own Black people with the same lies, injustice and incorrectness as white supremacist do. Those who are accusing other of “Acting white,” are simply being niggerish, or, put a better way “stupid”, themselves!

I issue a challenge to everyone! Check you state’s, your individual district’s, your child’s school’s status on proficiency tests. You will see a great gap in the performance of black and white students. Check the ACT, SAT, AP, and other tests. With affirmative action about to go off into history and the standards rising, we must reaffirm our intellectual tradition. Start reading (newspaper, books, magazines, etc., use the public library, etc.). As a special treat, give your kids gifts certificates for bookstores. Take your children to museums, galleries, parks, etc. We must challenge the idea promulgated through BET and throughout history that all we do is play sports and rap!!

View my sites at:

· http://www.geocities.com/jvbzook

· http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Afro-American_Intellectual_Association/

· http://groups.msn.com/BlackIntelligence

· http://jvbafro.tripod.com

Or, better yet, you can email me at [email protected]

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    this is the key, though, isn't it? and necessary in order to develop businesses and economic prosperity.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i agree anAfrican , we have to teach and enlighten them
    on the type of education that allows them to reach there
    full potential

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    We must be educated, but we must have the proper TYPE of education.

The education that actually teaches us how to build and maintain a civilization of our own and improve our lives.

Not that generic indoctrination they do to our children in most Western school that basically "credentializes" people so they can get a pass into corporate America.

I say it over and over again, our people should focus more on learning skilled trades, architecture, medicine, and other arts.

Not all this literature, financial, and communications jive so many of our people are getting degrees in.

5. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    I agree completely.We need to get into things that uphold civilizations and make tangible profits.

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I totally agree!
    Our children in my opinion think that being smart and acheiving goals is lame.
    They think that they will not be cool or fit in.
    We as adults and parents need to prepare the present for the future of our children :sand: