Black Education / Schools : Education and Progress in the REAL World

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by umbrarchist, Aug 13, 2016.

1. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    But how have most White people "progressed" since MLK was assissinated? They seem to be complaining.

We seem to live in a system designed to screw most White people so what they call an educational system is designed to screw them. So wouldn't True Education mean out thinking the system? Double-entry accounting is 700 years old but you do not hear educators or economists saying it should be mandatory in high school.

What if MLK and Malcolm X had suggested that in the early 60s?

That is why I wrote this:

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

Trusting White people to tell us what "education" is makes about as much sense as trusting the Devil to tell you how to get to heaven. According to info on the Internet Jesse Jackson is worth Ten Million Dollars. But I don't hear him suggesting mandatory accounting either.

um

2. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

This is why we would have to determine what type of education would be sufficient enough to survive or even overcome the design traps of the system. These are still experimental ideas, and even MLK and Malcolm (to offer a few of many examples) had alternative views of how to engage without becoming devoured by it.

Many so called "white" people have understood this for some time, as they had the luxury and freedom to experiment with their own social engineering for their economic and physical development. Some of the ones that thought of these experiments are now career long politicians with corrupt stigmas attached to them regardless of the good they perceive to be doing.

If someone is educated in speaking French and then goes to a university under a scholarship to enhance their translation and speaking of French, we would presume they are looking forward to a career as a translator. This is what we would call "pathing".

Lack of pathing is a key hindrance to the translation from education to progress.

If education is based on attaining learned skills to advance in the job market of capitalism, then many have failed. Most recently with the outcry of the "99 percenters" who now feel the crunch similar to those that marched for fair wages and jobs in the 60s, are fighting against the same oligarchs that recognize if they educate and present jobs for everyone, their salaries and pay would decrease due to competition as well as fluctuating markets.

Oligarchs benefit from inflation, as they "hedge" their bets. This goes back to the luxury to "experiment". They even set up their own private schools to experiment with.

As to the question of:

"So wouldn't True Education mean out thinking the system?"

Indeed, as many have yet to understand how to use the system, to beat the system.

3. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    One thing I only learned on the Internet is that double-entry accounting is 700 years old. Invented in Italy. Most people in Europe could not read 700 years ago. How complicated can accounting really be?

Another curious thing is taht accounting was on of the first things that big businesses used computers for in the 50s and 60s. But very cheap computers are more powerful than those ancient and primitive machines. So why shouldn't computerized accounting be mandatory today?

It is not just getting the jobs, it is what is done with the money afterwards.

Accounting Theory and Practice

by Roy Bernard Kester

Published 1917

https://archive.org/details/accountingtheor00kestgoog

If it is 700 years old, how much has really changed in 99 years. LOL

Depreciation is mention on page 30 in this book but it is not untils 250 in a modern book I have. Knowledge is watered down to better serve the education business these days.

um

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Inflation and deflation is something that effects everyone across the board, but is more apparent within low educated and economic paradigms. This goes along with depreciation and appreciation.

What goes up, must come down, vice versa. But this doesn't account for those that protect themselves both educationally and economically. So if those "near the top" do not come down with everyone else, the burden to climb back up isn't shared, and when it comes to trickle down concepts, if the top doesn't rise back up, the bottom doesn't either.

Economics and education may be connected, but not always necessarily.

Worked in the house of a brother that claimed he didn't finish high school, but he was obviously educated in some way looking at his house. He was converting the basement into a third residential floor, among other things.

Will post this here for more context as well...

Terms to focus on here:

1. Education
    2. Progress
    3. Real World

"Education"... what and whose education in regards to what?

Educate to train for an understanding and knowledge of something
    Educate to develop the mind into a self sufficient tool that can create and design when evolution occurs

Educate to be able to share and respond to other that do not understand the wisdom that comes from experience

If we are referring to government run and controlled establishments that train and indoctrinate young people to become productive citizens in their global economic structure of nepotistic capitalism, then we would have to look at these two as being separate and not equal to the intended goal and/or outcome of "progress".

"Progress"... this evidently means to move forward or continue to evolve in a particular direction.

What is the direction that the "We" that derives from the "Our" within this question, is desiring to go?

Goals are achieved by looking beyond the present and setting a marker for the destination that one cannot see a the moment.

Martin proposed a marker at the time of segregation, as he claimed to have a dream.

This was within the context of that present time and era for him and others within the Civil Rights Movement for people of color and poor people, under an oppressive system of oversight that limited access and progress for the "have nots" and those that were seen as "undesired".

In order to progress, one cannot set a marker and then get there and suggest that "we made it", or that progress will stop. A new marker and goal must be set to keep the dream alive within the next generations to spring forth and carry the banner of vision.

With some now pushing more to desegregation, and return to segregation (listen to them closely, as this is the base of their commentary), how does this help in progress to return to segregation... especially without a concise plan to make it work?

On the flip side, if the integrated education and the desired outcome of it is a career or employment that can sustain a man or woman in this nepotistic capitalist system, then we should do all we can to absorb what is offered, even if it is to cater to the demands of it. Hence, the rat-race.

Even in survival, progress occurs.. whether it is recognized personally or collectively is another question.​

Real World... or referred to as "the rat-race" above (or the system), it something that we desire to change or be eliminated. But then in the words of Talib Kweli "If you tore down this system, what would you put in its place?"

We evolve and change along with society, and to isolate ourselves from the wider aspect of like minded communities, puts us in an educational disadvantage.

Can economic education supplement the base education system of today?
    Yes and no, as this would create a mindset of venture capitalism where everything would be centered around exploiting people and not the system.

Base education now, on the other hand, makes us complacent and doesn't really motivate us into the avenues of entrepreneurship, that has yet to be fully explored.

Once we educate each other on how to be self sufficient in the context of entrepreneurship, this is when progress can really be recognized in front of the backdrop of "the system", or what one refers to as "the Real World".

5. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    This is really funny, but it hits the nail on the head.

The Politics of Science Fiction
    https://authorraychilensky.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/the-politics-of-science-fiction/

We have to deal with two realities, Physical Reality and Social Reality. But social reality means dealing with people that sometimes have different ideas about physical and social reality. "Herding Cats".

Climate Denial is a social reality. Whether or not the climate is actually changing because of the spread of technology started by White People is a physical reality problem. It is funny how we constantly hear that "mankind" is the cause rather than Euro-Americans.

The technology is inescapable however, so we must master it

um

6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

What one presents is an example of how broad the term "education" really is... even if some don't consider it to be that complex of an issue to contemplate.

Considering the base education systems hava a centered view that promotes math, science, history and linguistics which create the "herding cats" or "robotic assembly line", the updating system with content that benefits it will always be the standard.

The terms "climate denial" together makes an argument against the sciences or study of climate issues.

Now is this a scientific issue that should be explored in science classes or social studies classes? Meaning how does one become educated to determine what "climate denial" is, and how it reflects on other issues or educational patterns?

To list the various categories that one can be "educated" in...

• Math --- dozens of subcategories here
    • Physical Science --- dozens of subcategories here
    • Linguistics --- hundreds of subcategories here
    • History --- literal and fictional subcategories here
    • Art --- hundreds of subcategories here
    • Technology --- hundreds of subcategories here
    • Social Science --- dozens of subcategories here
    • Pseudo Science --- dozens of subcategories here
    • Economics --- dozens

Many don't adapt well or learn by forced teachings, which is why the current system leaves many behind without regard to those that try hard and still fail to understand how to manipulate and master the system to their advantages.

The physical reality is often that we accept the social reality as a form of physical incapacity.
    The mind over matter shift is based on motivation to overcome the obstacles of social or mental oppression to a significant progression.

Easier said than done, but there are times when doing it is easier than talking about it as well. Can only motivate myself but so much, before I have to move.

Education is like having a child or something one has to care for in a way.

Once you have it, you either help it and develop it in hopes that it will be of a good investment for oneself and others later in life. But time changes things, and a supposed "good education" (whatever we decide what that is) in the past, doesn't mean one will exemplify progress in the real world of changing dynamics.

As for the technology vs. mankind vs. the kind of man that has put many of us in this predicament, there is often the good with the bad no matter how we try to go against any particular grain.

"You make it, don't let it make you" is a summation of a saying that can be expressed in the undertone of how we keep our heads above water, while swimming in the murky rivers of the system's creations.

We can't expect a dog to not drop a plop on the grass, the best we can do is to be aware of where it is and not step in it... maybe even do better, and pick it up so the unaware do not.

7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Please do continue to update this thread!

Thanks!

8. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I was just talking to a math teacher yesterday. I think part of the problem is that each teacher gets caught up in their own specialty and tries to affect the perspective of the student. That may be fine in college but not so good in grade school and high school. I confess that my own thinking was affected by starting to read science fiction in grade school. That altered my perspective on everything my teachers were saying from 5th grade on.

I can suggest two related science fiction stories that present ideas and information about all five subjects listed above:

1632 (Ring of Fire)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series

1632 can be downloaded for free: http://www.baen.com/1632.html

1636: The Kremlin Games (The Ring of Fire)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1636:_The_Kremlin_Games

This is a strange time travel story where a West Virginia town of hillbilly coal miners is transported back in time to Germany in the year 1631. That was the middle of what Europeans call The Thirty Years War. The second book has one of the hillbillies going to Moscow and changing Russian history. Off hand this sounds rather silly but it is interesting in terms of the technological and cultural clashes. There is a Black doctor from Chicago and his daughter in the story. Modern White writers have to have diversity. LOL

Before I read this series I could not have told you if Galileo and Oliver Cromwell had lived at the same time. They did, Cromwell was in his 30s and Galileo in his 70s. The Thirty Years War was a big deal in European history though it is just another old war to us. Unless someone is really interested in European history the "education" on the subject won't make much impression. But this strange story shows how ideas from the future would change things like the economy of Russia. Standard education does not show how much things interrelate.

This also shows the influence of Aristotle on European intellectuals and serfdom and slavery in Russia.

This book has a Rah, Rah, America jingoist tone to it that turns some people off but I view it as part of the learning experience, in that it educates the reader about how some people actually think and how some readers might be influenced.

um

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  9. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    I'd also suggest adding sf films for your further consideration:

Both
    Black Opheos

And Brother From Another Planet are legendary movies...

10. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have seen it. The same actor that did Terminator 2. I just Wikied him, Joe Morton. But how much science is reasonably described in movies or television fiction? They are more popular but less informative and thought provoking than books.

Unfortunately Black writers are not usually very scientific. I think Octavia Butler's Wild Seed is great, probably read it 3 times. But I regard it more as fantasy than SF. I have tried to read Delaney's Dahlgren 3 times because he is such a renowned Black author, but never made it half way. I just don't get it.

um

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016