Black People : Economy Up, But Blacks Still Lag

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Fine1952, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    What a slap in the face :pie: ....and I know why...! :book:

Does this current news piece reflect the shadow of the 99 deflamation laws I dug up from Dr. Anderson's book "Black Labor, White Wealth" and Tavis Smiley's short list--a list I might add, that tells the who, what, where, when and why of circumstances that 'still' exist today in the year 2006.

IMHO an article like this is bias, because it does not take into consideration any of these 99 strong hold bias....!

Nor--I might add, is it quantumly equal/fair to compare a group that has had a 400+ year advantage over the same group that it still continues to oppress [whether overtly or surrepticiously covert...!].

©Very Fine/1952 -- 2006
    >>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>> ;>
    "Give advice; if people don't listen, let adversity teach them." -- Ethiopian Proverb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, March 29, 2006, Section A5
    by Erin Texeira
    A/P

Even though the economy has picked up, stubborn gaps between blacks and white remain -- a reality highlighted by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, the National Urban League reports in a new study.

"Two years ago, we saw that things were tough, but there was a recession," League President Marc H. Moriel said. "Now that things are better, we're still suffering."

The Urban League's annual State of Black America report, released Tuesday, merges government data and academic analysis to measure black progress and problems. The nearly 300-page report includes suggested policy changes.

For three years, blacks' overall well-being compared to whites has stagnated, the report says. Though some African-Americans are prospering - in economics, health, education, social justice and civic engagement - blacks generally fare about about three-quarters as well as whites. The report cites figures from Global Insight Inc., and economic analysis company.

Data shows that black Americans have more than double the rates of infant mortality, unemployment and poverty as whites.

Morial, former mayor of New Orleans, writes that the nation's attention was turned to the plight of poor Americans during Hurricane Katrina. He called the storm and flood that hit the Gulf Coast last August "this generation's Bloody Sunday," referring to the March 1965 civil rights march to Alabama that focused the nation's attention on racial segregation in the South.

"Unfortunately," he writes, "the initial flurry of concern and attention to poverty and injustice has given way to the status quo."

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Hi, sister Fine1952, welcome back!

As for Mr. Morial, did he expect that it would be, somehow, different this time than at any other time in the history of America??? It seems some Black still believe in White Folks... I do not... I believe we have to get it in our heads that WE are the answer, just as our ancestors were the answer in anothe era... We so under-estimate and devalue our power, it is no wonder why we langour in the same state, decade after decade...century upon century

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Thank You

You are absolutely correct, Isaiah!