Black People Politics : ECONOMY ASCENDING?

Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
The Detroit International Auto Show had record attendance. GM is the #1 car producer again. The state has a billion dollar surplus. Is this a sign of a growing economy? Is hiring on the upswing in your area?

I'm a Texan.
Hiring was never actually that bad. We never had a true recession and the housing market is relatively stable.
Not that I'm throwing out invites.
No...
Far too many 'transplants' down here, already. Particularly Californians.... *laugh*

Although, if you're a nurse or a new-grad looking to relocate?
Texas is hiring. LVN/PN or RN.
There are jobs down here and they will hire new grad nurses.

In the valley, there's a need. It's by the border...but they will hire.
In San Antonio. You'll find a job. Hit up the military bases. The state psych hospital hires. The various staffing companies are in need.
Homehealth? You can find assignments.
Houston as well.
Dallas...not so sure. I hear the new-grad market's saturated.

Too many businesses are leaving other states to set up shop down here.
We just added a few hospitals 2 years ago, roughly....
I know of folks who resigned from positions and picked up another w/in a month or two. They're not particularly wealthy, either.

I'm a Texan.
Hiring was never actually that bad. We never had a true recession and the housing market is relatively stable.
Not that I'm throwing out invites.
No...
Far too many 'transplants' down here, already. Particularly Californians.... *laugh*

Although, if you're a nurse or a new-grad looking to relocate?
Texas is hiring. LVN/PN or RN.
There are jobs down here and they will hire new grad nurses.

In the valley, there's a need. It's by the border...but they will hire.
In San Antonio. You'll find a job. Hit up the military bases. The state psych hospital hires. The various staffing companies are in need.
Homehealth? You can find assignments.
Houston as well.
Dallas...not so sure. I hear the new-grad market's saturated.

Too many businesses are leaving other states to set up shop down here.
We just added a few hospitals 2 years ago, roughly....
I know of folks who resigned from positions and picked up another w/in a month or two. They're not particularly wealthy, either.

I lived in the Dallas area before the recession hit. Moved back to Kali in 2008. By 2009 the unemployment almost doubled from about 5 to over 9%.

Oil/energy jobs are in areas with little black folks such as Midland and Odessa. High black unemployment in Houston and Port Arthur. Outside of hospital system Texas has a lot of low paying service sector jobs. New housing construction slowed as foreclosure rates climbed. Unemployment rates below national average but still a lot of black poverty.

I lived in the Dallas area before the recession hit. Moved back to Kali in 2008. By 2009 the unemployment almost doubled from about 5 to over 9%.

Oil/energy jobs are in areas with little black folks such as Midland and Odessa. High black unemployment in Houston and Port Arthur. Outside of hospital system Texas has a lot of low paying service sector jobs. New housing construction slowed as foreclosure rates climbed. Unemployment rates below national average but still a lot of black poverty.
The following information might help some in retirement planning and/or if you are considering relocation.

State Sales Tax
All states except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, collect sales taxes. Delaware collects a Gross Receipts Tax (GRT) which is a business and gross receipts tax that can total 2.07%. Some have a single rate throughout the state though most permit local city and county additions to the base tax rate. Those states with a single rate include Connecticut, District of Columbia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Rhode Island, and West Virginia.

States with the highest sales tax are: California (8.25%), Indiana (7%), Mississippi (7%), New Jersey (7%), Rhode Island (7%), Tennessee (7%), Minnesota (6.875%), Nevada (6.85%), Arizona (6.6%), Washington (6.5%), Kansas (6.3%), Texas and Illinois (6.25%).

Personal Income Tax
A total of 41 states impose income taxes. New Hampshire and Tennessee apply it only to income from interest and dividends. Seven states (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming) do not tax personal income. Of the 41 with a broad-based income tax, 35 base the taxes on federal returns, typically taking a portion of what you pay the IRS or using your federal adjusted gross income or taxable income as the starting point.

Many states exclude Social Security retirement benefits from state income taxes. The District of Columbia and 27 states with income taxes provide a full exclusion for Social Security benefits -- Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin.

http://retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

The state with the highest median real estate taxes is New Jersey, where more than 50% of all households pay more than $5,352 in property taxes per home. States like California, Hawaii and the District of Columbia have higher home values than New Jersey but on average collect significantly less real estate taxes per property. The state with the second highest property taxes, New Hampshire, collects a median of $3,920, or $1,432 less per home than New Jersey.

• With its generous homestead exemption, Louisiana has the lowest real estate tax rate in the nation, at $1.72 per $1,000 of home value. Two states with the highest effective tax rates are Wisconsin and Texas, where rates exceed $18 per $1,000 of property value.
  • Median home values in the highest tax rate states -- Wisconsin and Texas -- are well below the national average. But the three states (including Washington, D.C.) with the most expensive homes -- California, Hawaii and the District of Columbia -- have some of the lowest property tax rates in the nation -- $4.77, $2.04 and $3.76 per $1,000 of value, respectively.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back