Black Education / Schools : Ebonics

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by CraigK, Jan 20, 2012.

1. CraigK

CraigK Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +15
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......From my perspective, it would be far more interesting to know your opinion of the article; and I'm asking, what is your opinion, CraigK?

Peace In,

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Unlike you, I stand with the good Dr. Smith calling Ebonics an autonomous language inherited from our West and Central African ancestors; in order to impact the failure of government, school systems, etc...to teach English as a second language to African Americans, in schools.

http://www.melanet.com/clegg_series/ebonics.html

Peace In,

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    you just played your FINAL hand CraigK!

"ebonics" is a white term like all other attributes aimed at black people that black people never gave approval of! The banning of your friend is ever apparent!

Question: Can you prove that you are your people are not born from dogs in the last 10,000 years? Just in case you need time to think, look at your and your woman's hair!! Don't smell her or yourselves because you might not be able to stand it even after taking a shower or bath!

oh, btw i'm speaking in Ebonics! :wink:

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    Every ethnic group a/o region of the country has a unique way of speaking the language. Why is ebonics so important to you?

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Does that include creating one's own environments?

In my opinion, standard English is inferior to Law English. Now what is Law English? This is the language of the courts. This is why most people have to hire an attorney because they don't understand the language.

You can see this at work by grabbing any Supreme Court case. Most newspapers are written between a 5th - 8th grade reading level.

A Supreme Court case is in the stratosphere and beyond the comprehension of the majority of people.

Working hard is good. Working smarter is better.

From a sociological perspective, whoever possesses a hegemony on the culture or territory determines what is "standard" or "acceptable".

7. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Social derives from the word society.
    Societies can be created and destroyed. They are virtual.
    Societies are maintained by institutions ... gatekeepers as well as the subjects within them.

This I don't deny. However, there are tremendous educational benefits to studying Law English.
    In addition to etymology, one is exposed to Latin, Greek, French, Law French, and Spanish.
    It also aides in developing critical reading, critical thinking, critical analysis, and research.

Judging from your post, it appears you are not a "big fan" of attorneys and courts?

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I can concur that the adversarial court systems of the US are on the whole the best.
    I would not concur that they are fair and just.
    I could point out more than a few court cases to underscore my previous sentence.

Attorneys have always been a hated class... even by the King of England for a long while.

Correction: Legislatures author statutes and acts although many times the members of Congress are attorneys.
    I say if you put in the study, one can navigate the courts sans attornatus.

This is 'due process'. Due process is achieved by knowing the rules and procedures.

I would like to think that your years of service went not to protect a document, but the people who live under that document.

The State is the people assembled into an association, a body politic.
    Government is the corporation created by the State.
    Its charter is a constitution. The Constitution of the United States is a compact, a treaty. States are signatories to that treaty. Constitutions are binding on governments, not people.
    The State is the principal. Government is its agent.

Most courts are administrative. Common law courts and trial by jury have given way to Roman Civil Law and the Lord High Chancellor .... at the hands of legislatures.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Peace Bro. CraigK and Family:
    I recently moved the thread from the Front Porch to here, the Black Education/Schools section because I thought it was most appropriate given the thread title/content. Hope it is not an issue. Continue enjoying the discussion!

10. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I believe this can be mitigated by defendants learning how to defend themselves and declining the offer of becoming a ward of the court.

Trial by jury can work. Many courts are simply the judge or magistrate deciding the facts and the law.

I consider the Federalist Papers propaganda.
    Hamilton was an elitist. This is not surprising given who the drafters of the Constitution were.
    The Federalists were actually nationalists.
    The Anti-Federalists were true federalists, but this requires diving into what a federal government is versus a national government.