Black People : EBONICS, IS IT A REAL LANGUAGE?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cursed heart, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I have argued several caucasions about the language ebonics.
    They see it as ignorance and unwillingness to learn proper english.
    Do you think it's a real language? If so how,when and why did it come about?

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
  3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    If you read some of Nevar's poems, it is clear that Ebonics is a language!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well stated brutha Pan i agree fully , thankz for the links too

5. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    Thank you for the info!:love:

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Actually ebonics is the result of our African mother tongue attempting to over ride the english language base. In the African language base, there are no consonants such as "ing" "th" "sk" "str" and others. As such, when we say words like "dat" instead of that, "goin" instead of going, "dis" instead of this, it is our natural mother tongue trying to over ride the european language base.

I actually have an excellent tape by Dr. Ernie Smith, a well known linguist and one of the fathers of ebonics who explains all of this. This is not anything new. It was actually coined in the 1960s and has nothing to do with this hip hop or street language going on. And it has nothing at all to do with anything European except for the fact that our natural internal african reality is trying to overthrow the language.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Nicely put, brotha Keita....

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Greetings All (My Fam),

A few years ago, I wrote a piece regarding Ebonics and the Afrikanism in our language for a cultural anthro class. I will post it later once I retrieve it in my arkives.... But being a brother from the South and fortunate to be raised in a sleepy all-Black community with many elders only two generations from slavery, I was privy to here the colorful speech employed and witness some of the beautiful traditions carried on, no matter how obscure the origins. Y'all know what I'm talking about... they way we used to talk before tell-lies-2-ya-vision invade our consciousness and started becoming the purveyors of "propa" pronouncement of this immature language. Even today, like many of us, with all my edgeumaction, I'm still uncomfortable in speaking the common English language because during my early years it was irrelevant. I find myself selecting words and phrases, which can be rather difficult at times, so I can communicate with the majority people in a way they can understand and as stated, even then, my words come out funny and certain sounds are virtually silent. I love my upbringing and pledge to educate my daughter in the ways of Uncle Slim, Uncle Squall, Cuttin Lizzie, Ain't Effie and them.

One example is my name. I can't pronounce my own name. My birth name is Nathaniel. I grew up pronouncing my name N/A/thaniel like /A/ in "say", but European sound wise, it is pronounced N/a/thaniel like /a/ in lowercase form. When I say my name like that, many ask me to repeat because it sounds like I'm saying L/a/thaniel. My /N/ almost becomes silent. It is very difficult to say it and at 30 years young, I still struggle with pronouncing my name for European ears.

Until my folk,
    Blackbird

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    ITS NOT AND THEM ITS AND NEM! LOL LIKE THE PLAY ON THE TELEVISION WORD.

IS IT ME OR DOES A PIECE OF YOU DIE INSIDE EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO SPEAK EURO ENGLISH? SAY IN A WORK SETTING?

YES ITS A SUB LANGUAGE. SIMILAR TO IRISH SPEAKING "COCKNEY" THEY SAY THE LOWER CLASS SPEAK COCKNY IN IRELAND. ALL CLASSES OF AA'S SPEAK EBONIX, BLACKENESE, AAVE WHATEVA YOU WANT TO CALL IT. JUST LIKE ALL CLASSES OF IRISH, OR AUSTRALIANS SPEAK THEIR RELAXED TOUNGUE.

10. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    Wondereul explaination my people!:sand: