Black People : earthquake kills 20,000

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by indya, Dec 27, 2004.

1. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    This happend Christmas Day. I just read about it and thought these people could use our prayers.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041227/D87811KO0.html

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Rescuers piled up bodies along coastlines devastated by a tsunami that obliterated seaside towns in Asia and Africa, killing 21,000 people in nine countries. Hundreds of children were buried in mass graves in India, and morgues and hospitals struggled Monday to cope with the catastrophe.

The death toll rose sharply a day after the magnitude 9 quake struck deep beneath the Indian Ocean off the coast of Indonesia. It was the most powerful earthquake in the world in four decades.

Walls of water sped away from the epicenter at more than 500 mph before crashing into the region's shorelines, sweeping people and fishing villages out to sea. Millions were displaced from their homes and thousands remained missing Monday.

The governments of Indonesia and Thailand conceded that public warnings came too late or not at all. But officials insisted they could not know the seriousness of the threat because no tsunami warning system exists for the Indian Ocean.

Officials said the death toll would continue to rise, and the international Red Cross said it was concerned about waterborne diseases

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    GOD I hope isn't finished with us yet. :time: It is time he showed his might.

I do send my condolences. We had a earthquake in California today. The same Tsunami hit East Africa. I read most of the dormant volcanoes are becoming active.

The world needs punishing especially the United States. We have allowed and attacked Mesopotamia ( the garden of Eden and the land Jesus was born and walked. )

======================
    http://www.drudgereport.com/

BIBLICAL DISASTER

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42111

Disaster compared to scene from Bible

An Italian scientist says the earthquake was so strong, it even disturbed the rotation of the Earth.

HAVOC IS UNLEASHED FROM THE DEPTHS: 'The quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation'...

Moved the entire island of Sumatra about 100 feet toward the southwest; first tsunami in the Indian Ocean since 1883...

'ALL THE PLANET IS VIBRATING'...

9.0 MAG, THE GREAT CHRISTMAS QUAKE: LARGEST ON EARTH IN 40 YEARS...

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i was reading about it and the numbers keep going up it now 21,000
    what a sad day my prayers go out to the thousandz of families

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    This is soooo sad.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Now if something like this happened to the Motherland or happened to the Caribbean, they would not give us one dollar! I am getting tired of hearing about it on TV, and all they want to do is get us to feel sorry for them. How many people feel sorry for our continent when a major Health catastrophe occurs? They gave them $15 Million! Ridiculous! Makes me sick. Besides, they are smart people, they know how to handle things.

God forgive me if I am being offensive, but the Truth Hurts!

MK

6. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    OMG this is sooo sad.
    There sure are alot of european survivors, I guess they were already on higher ground. :thinking:
    And 15 mil is alot but most of it'll probably be used to rebuild tourist spots so they can continue vacationing there.

7. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    What's so bad is that it was so completely unexpected. They have no warning system, which I guess is understandable since there hadn't been an earthquake in 100 yrs.

8. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    The news now reports there may be as many as 100,000 deaths and they're saying 1/3 to 1/2 of the victims are children.

The UN said there were now strong grounds to believe that the toll in the Sumatran province of Aceh, the worst affected area, would be as high as 80,000. The number dead has now climbed in every country affected, including:

Thailand: 1,700 confirmed dead, including 43 British tourists.

Indonesia: more than 42,000 confirmed dead.

India: nearly 7,000 dead, and many coastal areas including parts of Kerala still to be searched.

Sri Lanka: 22,500 are confirmed dead and there are fears for hundreds of independent British travellers on the east coast

9. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's too hard to watch this on the news. One of my co-workers is from Indonesia and she is going crazy trying to reach family and friends.

10. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    I feel you Cedric...you're absolutely correct.

My primary concern with the Tsunami disaster are the Andaman islanders off the east coast of India. They are the first Blacks that left mother Afrika to the Asian continent some 100,000 years ago. Only a few hundred were left on the island. The Indian government barred any travel to the island for fear of biological annihilation of the Andamans. That's how isolated they are. I've been unable to find out the status of the Andamans. I fear the worst.