The Front Porch : early upbringing

I would welcome such an interaction, but most White Folks would be a little nervous, I think. The media have not been lax in portraying Black violence, and many White folk who have little regular interaction with Black folk are more prepared to fear than to accept their company. You have the advantage in that Whites are more numerous than Blacks and you would have more opportunity to interact with them, should you so choose. I suppose that I would too, but I would have to go far out of my way to find them to attempt interaction with.
Interesting that you would mention black violence. Black people are bombarded with images in the news concerning white violence but there may be a difference in that we may not has as high of a fear factor. Yes, there is violence in black communities but this is why I say I learn from my own interaction. For example, last night I couldn't slept because my neighbors were fighting and they are white.

I would welcome such an interaction, but most White Folks would be a little nervous, I think. The media have not been lax in portraying Black violence, and many White folk who have little regular interaction with Black folk are more prepared to fear than to accept their company. You have the advantage in that Whites are more numerous than Blacks and you would have more opportunity to interact with them, should you so choose. I suppose that I would too, but I would have to go far out of my way to find them to attempt interaction with.

1. The overwhelming majority of prisoners on death row are white males

2. +85% of all substance abusers and junkies are white males. ( Uof M study and FBI data over four decades )

3. The overwhelming majority of inmates are white males

Perhaps you should widen your media choices. Unless you are delusional in thinking that white junkies dont commit crimes to support their habits?

I was cruising the 'net, looking to learn, and found this site. I thought I could improve my self and knowledge by interacting with you all, so here's where I am coming from:
I was brought up in a large family, third from the top, by an extremely racist father. While we never lived in a neighborhood where black people lived, he sure told me all about them (not). As Dad was raised in Iowa (a predominately white state) I don't know where he picked them up, but he had a lot of opinions about black folk, none of them good ones.
I attempted to bring up my own children without preconceived notions about people based on race, and I think that I have been pretty successful, for the most part. However, what you are brought up with stays there, no matter how hard you try to root it out. I find that , in my mind, I sometimes jump to conclusions that I am not proud of.
Here's to a free exchange of knowledge...
Thanks.
Craig

The Genome Project says that modern human life, ( Adam and Eve ) originated in Africa. It also states that whites, were the last group to form are our closest relatives. We are either cousins or half brothers genetically. I, half jokingly, state that this means you are the mark of Cain. Proven by you're/ the only ones with proven cave man dna. ( Re: Land of Nod ) Perhaps you can start by viewing:

The Genome Project series ( PBS )

Eyes on the Prize Pt I & II

The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow

Roots

I would also recommend you move to a large urban area and take a few classes at an urban university/college. Btw, your preconceived notions are coming across in yiour convo in here

I was cruising the 'net, looking to learn, and found this site. I thought I could improve my self and knowledge by interacting with you all, so here's where I am coming from:
I was brought up in a large family, third from the top, by an extremely racist father. While we never lived in a neighborhood where black people lived, he sure told me all about them (not). As Dad was raised in Iowa (a predominately white state) I don't know where he picked them up, but he had a lot of opinions about black folk, none of them good ones.
I attempted to bring up my own children without preconceived notions about people based on race, and I think that I have been pretty successful, for the most part. However, what you are brought up with stays there, no matter how hard you try to root it out. I find that , in my mind, I sometimes jump to conclusions that I am not proud of.
Here's to a free exchange of knowledge...
Thanks.
Craig

So, basically you're racist? It's not our job to prove we aren't like your racist father claimed.
And I don't understand the 'it's how I was brought up so that's what I believe' thing...like many of us grew up believing in unicorns and santa but when we grew up we stopped b/c we didn't have any evidence that they exited. You must think there's evidence to support your fathers claims otherwise you wouldn't still be holding on to 'em.
Maybe it would be beneficial for you to:
get an exorcism, go to church, get some holy water or something...
read some history books by african/blk scholars
stay the heck away from blk folks smh

Why not focus on understand the plight of non-white Australians? Your ignorance will probably have more impact on them than black americans.

I did state that it was the media emphasizing Black violence, and that many White people have no actual interaction with Black folk: barring positive interaction with actual people, most would be at least influenced by media portrayals.
In many ways, the worst enemy of both is the media, who emphasize sensationalism over a balanced presentation of facts.
Yes, Whites do seem over represented on death row (in proportion to their total percentage of American population). By the same measure, while there are more White folk in prison than Black, the Black percentage of prison inmates is much higher than White, compare to their total percentage of population: ex: Blacks make up about 13% of America's total population, but almost 33% of total prison inmates. Many reasons for this, being social, financial, or cultural, and NOT because of an inborn propensity towards crime by African-Americans.

Really? Nothing Racial?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back