EARLY CIVIL RIGHTS STORY IN PICTURES...

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    How many of us know about the late Rev. George Lee, Lamar Smith, or Gus Courts, and their contributions to the Civil Rights Struggle in Mississippi??? They were among the pioneers, and Lee and Smith paid with their lives... May The Creator be pleased with them both...

An AWESOME pictorial and textual history of the early Civil Rights Struggel in Mississippi!!! The photographer, Mr. H.C. Anderson takes ya right there to Belzoni, Mississippi with his excellent photography and website.... Its Tight Like Dat...

http://www.andersonphotoservice.org/civilrights/civilrights.html

Now, Sista Destee, when one wants to present HISTORICAL material like this, where does one post it, in this forum or the OPEN forum??? Seems like a dumb question, but it aint - at least I don't think so...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Good thread from the Delta to the Gulf it's a lot of ghosts in the Sip...Belzoni was a bad place back then in a state of bad places...

3. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Oh Brother Isaiah...Great thread....very interesting link thank you so much for sharing this...i dont know where to put it but if i would guess its something we should know Reclaiming Our Stolen Culture i say this because it is part of our history...thas my 3 cent....i think i got excited....:lol:...thank you so much for sharing this link.....Angel

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yeah, Angel, I was mixed on where to put it myself(smile!) The pictures on this website are absolutely stunning, and they go beyond the Civil Rights Movement... They are about how Afrosippians were just living their lives in the Delta...and it is beautiful, isn't it!? Yeah, yeah!(smile!)

I first saw the collection of pictures in a book by the photographer who owns the website, and the book is even more off the hook! More beautiful pictures than you can stand, man... In fact, there's a lot of great photography of Black life in Memphis, by Ernest Withers, and Chicago, by Robert Sengstacke, and in New York, by James Vander Zee... Great Black photographers, and great photographs of our colorful Black World(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah