Black Women : Early and Forced Child Marriage - Causes/Effects

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by cherryblossom, Jun 15, 2014.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This topic is a continuation of another discussion in a different thread.

I am inviting Sami_RaMaati and any others into this discussion on the "causes/effects" of early and forced child marriages in Africa. Yes, this cultural and religious custom is also prevalent elsewhere across the globe; but this discussion will, specifically, focus on the "causes/effects" of this practice in Africa.

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Five Things You May Not Know About Child Marriage
    by JENNIFER LUDDEN

December 01, 2013

NPR's Jennifer Ludden recently traveled to the African nation of Malawi, one of many countries in the developing world where child marriage remains prevalent. She found girls like Christina Asima, who was married at 12 and became a mother at 13. She is now divorced and caring for her infant son on her own.... Below are a few more things she learned while reporting on child marriage:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...-things-you-may-not-know-about-child-marriage

[​IMG]i
    Christina Asima says she had no choice but to marry last year at age 12 to help care for younger siblings after her mother abandoned the family. But she says her husband was abusive, so she left him, and now must look after her 8-month-old son, Praise, alone.

[​IMG]i
    Arinafe Makwiti, 13, says her parents forced her to drop out of school and get married to an older man last year to help with the family finances. Makwiti has divorced her husband, but now has a 9-month-old daughter.

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Fistula, a silent tragedy for child brides

The tragedy of obstetric fistula for women and girls in Africa
    An obstetric fistula is a childbirth complication due to obstructed labour when the tissues between a woman’s vagina and her bladder or rectum are damaged from the continuous pressure from the baby’s head stuck in the birth canal. The dead tissue falls off resulting in a hole through which the woman continuously leaks urine or faeces or sometimes both.

The tragedy of a fistula patient begins when she goes into labour. Try as she might, the baby won’t budge. Hours pass, days even and her suffering continues. She is in a remote village with no midwife or access to medical attention. Added to her physical pain and suffering is the mental anguish of a lack of information about her situation. Her baby dies inside her and has to be extracted, sometimes piece by piece.

Child brides, a group vulnerable to fistula
    One of the populations most vulnerable to fistulas are young brides. Child marriage is a global problem with an estimated 14 million girls given out in marriage before they turn 18, some as young as 9. 14 of the 20 countries with the highest rate of child marriage are in Africa.

The toxic combination of a young girl having sex, getting pregnant and going through childbirth when her body is not developed enough accounts for at least 25% of known fistula cases.

...cont.... http://www.girlsnotbrides.org/fistula-a-silent-tragedy-for-child-brides/

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Tall as the Baobab Tree: Talking Child Marriage in Senegal

A sensitive and powerful new film, which blurs reality and fiction, adds an important voice to the struggle against child marriage.
    ARTICLE | 5 FEBRUARY 2014

Leaning against a dusty well in a rural village in western Senegal, a mother is talking to her teenage daughter, trying to reassure her about the marriage that has been arranged for her 11-year-old sister, Debo.

“You know I don’t want to give my daughter away," she says. "You know, I got married when I was little, but you see it didn’t make me a worse person. What any woman would want, I have. I have enough to make any person happy."

This particular exchange is a fictional scene from the new film Tall as the Baobab Tree, but the premise of the conversation is by no means fantasy. In fact, Mboural Dia, the actress playing the part of the mother, was herself a child bride, and in Senegal as a whole, an estimated 33% of girls are married before they reach their 18th birthday.

The practice is even more widespread in some other countries − in Malawi the figure is closer to50%, and in Niger it's around 75% − and according to Lakshmi Sundaram, Global Coordinator atGirls Not Brides, child marriage “holds girls back.” It is an infringement of girls’ rights, can threatentheir health, and makes them more likely to drop out of school, contributing not just to their personal underdevelopment but that of the whole community.

Despite this, however, the practice has proven highly resistant to change in many areas and is intricately bound up with dynamics related to poverty and underdevelopment as well as tradition, culture and modernity.

....continued:
    http://thinkafricapress.com/senegal/tall-baobab-tree

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    so i see that your mission is to dig out everything that may be negative about Africans and put it on blast. why?

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The trouble with child marriages, to me, is children marrying adults, not children marrying children. The marriage age in a rural community need not be so high. Romeo and Juliet was a relationship between teenagers. The marriage age in industrial, or better post-industrial, societies more relate in getting teenagers employed than fulfilling those teenagers societal needs.

Now that I am married I realize every marriage is forced--in the absence of social education. Better that marriage earlier than later, while one is still learning and not when one thinks they know. You know how hard it is to get a woman to clean your room if she never had to clean a man's room in several decades? Let's just say a lot of Brothers are either cleaning after their ladies, or living in pigsties.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    What do you deem as some of the "causes" of early/forced child marriages in Africa be they be of indigenous, Christian or Islamic origin?

10. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Pedophiles, in the case of adult/child unions. But child/child is caused by the reality of people can/should reproduce.

If I married my wife earlier, I'd probably have to deal with less anger toward men and more love toward me--before and now.

The divorce rate in the West speaks for itself.