Black Sports : Dunking age

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Froggy1, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm 6 feet tall and I can dunk on 10 ft. rims, but I can't palm the ball. My 1st dunk was the end of my 8th grade summer. is this natural? Also what age did you first dunk

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    it's natural for some , but it 's very hard to dunk when you can't
    palm the ball you lose control which make you a bad dunker !
    then you have to two hand dunk it but lots of young men are
    slammin and in 8th & 9th grade today kids now are big

3. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    okay

I may have to dunk with two hands but I can still dunk pretty good. I don't lose control that much. I know how to do a two handed windmill and a two handed 360

4. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Mad hops

I was 1st able to dunk on a 10 feet rim at end of 9th grade. I was 14yrs old and right at 6' tall. Dunking is good but at 6' feet you expend a lot of energy for a spectacular move worth 2 points. The better you dunk the more your game becomes consumed by it. You will feel if you don't get a dunk or dunk on someone you didn't play a good game. Let your hops be your best kept secret. Develop a jump shoot and free throws first. A jumpshooter is much more desireable then a dunker. It's harder to defend a jumpshot than a dunk. A jumpshooter tends to have a longer basketball career than a dunker. Also some jumpers are worth 3 points.

:bball:

Peace

5. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    I know

I know what 3 pointers are man. I use my jumpshot some too. I'm also apretty good shooter but that use to be my 2nd option behind attacking the rim. You put some stuff in perspective for me man Thanks for the advice.

6. Radical Faith

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Yeah see attacking the rim all the time increase your chances of getting hurt. Look at Hedu Turkolu and Tim Duncan. Sometimes a pull up jumper keeps you in the game instead of on the sidelines with sprained or torn legaments and broken bones.

Peace.

7. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah

Yeah I don't wanna get injured at an early age befor fulfilling my hoop dreams

8. Radical Faith

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

There you go! Right now one of the hottest players out there is Dwayne Wade. Personally for a player under 6'6" he's the total package. He has great quickness a strength for a player his size. He know how to play bigger when necessary and he can turn on the speed like a smaller player. There are faster players like A.I. and Tony Parker but they don't bring as much strength to the table. The only other players that are comparable to him is Steve Francis and Baron Davis. Still he's that perfect combination of strength and speed that is coveted in the NBA. Let me add one other thing that is vital to this lethal combo, control. All the speed and power in the world are nothing without control. Just remember that.

Peace

9. Froggy1

Ratings:
    +2
    True

Yeah, i'm very quick and powerful player too man. You stay giving me good advice!

10. Radical Faith

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The physical game basketball starts in the legs and feet. Good feet work, strong legs and good endurance are the building blocks of all atheletes. If you have these things the rest will follow. As a individual your greatest opponent is yourself. There will always be someone who is bigger, stronger and faster but will they be able to out play you. This is where the mind comes in. Prepare your body so when the mind gives the commands the body will be able to respond. Your worse enemy is fatigue and doubt. As a team player know your role. The high point scorers are not necessarily the leaders. The leader is the one who controls the game by use of teammates and orchastrates victories. The role player should be the absolute best at his role. When going to the next level it is the players that can help the team that is chosen.

Peace