Black People : DUNKIN DONUTS RACIST AD?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Dunkin’ Donuts Apologizes for Racist Advertisement

September 3, 2013 at 4:37PM by Zoe Bain | 16 Comment
    [​IMG]A Dunkin' Donuts ad in Thailand that featured a woman in blackface is causing international controversy. According to the New York Daily News, the marketing campaign, which was for chocolate donuts, shows a Thai woman with black hair, blackface makeup, and bright pink lipstick. She is also holding a black donut. After the ad campaign began, Human Rights Watch Asia Direct Phil Robertson stated, "It's both bizarre and racist that Dunkin' Donuts thinks that it must color a woman's skin black and accentuate her lips with bright pink lipstick to sell a chocolate doughnut."
    Dunkin' Donuts headquarters has since apologized for the offensive photo, stating, "On behalf of our Thailand franchise and our company, we apologize for any offense it caused. We are working with our franchaisee (sic) to immediately pull the television spot and to change the campaign."
    However, the CEO of Dunkin' Donuts Thailand doesn't find fault with the ad. "We're not allowed to use black paint to promote our donuts? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist? Not everyone is paranoid about racism," explained Thailand CEO Nadim Salhani. Her own teenage daughter is the model in the controversial photo.

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    This is typical Asian racism. They not only find nothing wrong with their offensive caricatures of black people; they defend their racism. Expecting an apology is out of the question.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I cannot say that I found the ad offensive meaning I did not see a black person or imitation of at first glance,but knowing Thai , Fillipino and other Asians it is suspect. They are among the most ignorant on the planet...like they have room to talk...lol.

dnt make me get hot I got 1,000 jokes.

4. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Then we should demand our retailers quit getting stuff from there

5. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I don't 'offend' easily but then ... I don't see anything to be offended about.

It's a BLACK donut, which everything including the background is of a charcoal color. The hair is not of an African type and yes...it's black. Aren't Asians dark-haired? For the color blind - the lips aren't true red. They're pink because they're obviously the focal point and harmonize with the color of the dunkin' donuts logo. I mean, really.

Thank God that the models lips weren't 'white' (as they were in TRUE black face, fashion) or people would rioting.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Phil Robertson...who is he? I'd agree with Salhani about 'people and their paranoia'.
    I wouldn't have apologized for s---t. People...are being ridiculous.
    Tell you the truth, if the media hadn't jumped on this trying to stir some 'culture war' drama how many would've looked at this ad and thought of anything besides, "A black donut? Wonder if it tastes like chocolate...?"

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Then why couldn't they have used a beautiful sister for the ad?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  7. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Yeah but Duncan knows better! Hell they think we are fools after it went public that they use Mosanto GM corn and what and we still buy from them for them past ten years!

You remember that bully in grade school? He kept picking at you until you up and knocked the **** out of him or her!

This will happen again and again and much worse, cause they think we are chumps and wont boycott nothing, like we did in the 60s and 70s

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Me. :wave:

I would have, and did, wonder why what I thought was a white woman was in blackface with fluorescent-pink lips? :11200:

If she merely were in black-face (no "shocking pink" lips), I'd wonder why, with as much money as blacks spend on Dunkin' Donuts, they didn't hire a fa real black model?

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    bot

10. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    What if they picked a black woman and put pink lipstick on her? That picture would be way worse, then everybody would be talking about how that black woman hates herself. It's a chocolate donut...we have bigger things to fight about. Don't go to Dunkin' Donuts anymore.