Black People : Dude arrested for sagging pants.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Jul 13, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I was a youngster when saggin' in public started to be en vogue and even then I could never get it and never did it. Now I was not a "square" (defined by where I rolled in the day, could have been to others in other locales) but I never got that ish or the Kriss Kross pants to the back ish or ABC inside out ish either. Although the saggin' craze seemed to have stuck for some reason.

I'll quote Eddie Griffin here... "Saggin' is for faggin'."

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

yeah.. but the hardest dudes on the block are saggin.. in fact, you're more likely to catch a bullet from somebody saggin than anyone else.. and the finest women on the block are all over them dudes.. so the saggin is for faggin mantra might sound like a nice representation of how folks feel about it.. but it's not accurate.. and if anything.. it's just an older generations criticism of a younger generation.. Let's not forget that clown suits Eddie griffin used to wear in his younger days.

Truth is.. Saggin is not different than Zoot Suiting.. or Afros.. or Dreads and daishikis.. all of these things are responses to society.. whether you like it or not doesn't really mean that much. I remember saggin my 501s back in the 80s.. you had to buy them big.. because they were shrink to fit.. and we were Jr. High kids.. growing every week.. and if you grew out of your favorite pants, you still wanted to wear them.. so you loosed the belt and pushed them down a little bit.. and you let your shirt hang low. I remember.. there was a certain way we liked our pants to sit on our Nikes.. prounouced:"Nighkees".. or our Karate slippers.. I had nothing whatsover to do with prison.. It had to do with growing out of expensive clothes.. Jordache Jeans were $80 back in the mid eighties.. Calvin Klein.. Polo.. it was the age of designer jeans. And as 12 and 13 year old kids we were creatively working with what our mamas gave us.. so when the jeans got faded enough.. we would take them to the cleaners and have creases sewed in.. when New York Style Bomber Jackets hit the streets.. we were all wearing Bombers with fur around the hood.. slightly saggin jeans and Addidas or Nikes.. or the new soft-leather Reeboks.. And wouldn't you know.. we was targeted by the cops then too.. The truth is.. black men in every generation are targeted regardless of what they are wearing.. King and Shabazz caught bullets while wearing suits. Every generation creates their own look.. and it must be different than the previous generation.. and things go further and further.. some dudes sag all the way down to mid thigh.. but why? figuring out what that means is far more useful than breaking out the condemnation blanket. Throughout history the lowest of the low-lifes have been the best dressed. The German army was superbly dressed.. The biggest crooks and killers in america are wearing 1000 dollar suits. The saggin is really just another excuse to criticise black men.. and black men embrace it as a symbol of rebellion.. You can barely find jeans that don't look like they're saggin even when they are up. They drop the pockets now to give them a saggin look.. And for what it's worth.. my pants are saggin right now.. cause I'm comfortable and I don't like belts.. and I've always preferred loose clothes.. except during the tapered pants craze of the late 80s where we all was slicing the seems our pants and sewing our pants into a skinner profile.

anyway.. with all of that said..

I thought the video did a nice job of illustrating its point. The first thing the dude did in every scenario was pull up his pants..

4. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    People use to just wear BAGGY PANTS, now they are wearing small pants beneath their *** and small shirts. That guy should have been arrested.

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Did you watch the video?

6. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    Like I stated I was a youngster when it started to be en vogue and I never got it, so the older generation hatin' on the youth don't fly as I do not hate our youth. Hell, I had friends that did it that I clowned for it, I may not have been all serious talk with 'em but gave them ish as friends at times do. I realize we are targets no matter what we do or how we conduct ourselves, but my previous post is how I feel on the matter and I do not want to see anyone's underwear in public. Femmes could be all over them and they are just as lost as the fool that is saggin' in my opinion. No hatred here, just sensibility in my honest opinion. Trust me my opinion is not clouded by white folk or any other folk as I feel the same way when those fools do it and trust me they also be emulatin'.

7. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    This fad is the direct result, in my opinion, of not having respect for ones self. Zoot suits and afros did not make one look like they can't afford better fitting clothing, or like one just woke up drunk and got dressed.

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Saggin' is backward for . . ..

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I agree...I have never understood how some of our younger females are attracted to the saggin' by our young men who do it....Yes, I can understand it sociologically, I guess; but being older, I just don't get it on some level.

....Even the so-called "thugs" and bad boyz of my younger days still dressed decently....the "hardest" of them would still have on some fitted jeans with a crease that could cut cha. lol --- or some Adidas or Pony sweats. ---But, whenever they stepped out, they were lookin' FRESH and FLY!

....walkin' by the girls lookin' good/smelling good...and rollin' in their cars blasting some music thru an "Alpine" stereo system. (back in the day, Alpine was the "shizzle" in car stereos) lol

I've just never been attracted to a slouchy man... an unkempt man.

Even in the white culture, I never understood that "Grunge" look either.

Either way, who wants somebody lookin' like a HOT MESS all the time?!

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Nicely done satire done in this.

Too bad it can't be played in theaters and as intros on games and to youtube videos....the more exposure to our youth, maybe it'll sink in to some of them.