Pan Africanism : Dual Citizenship for a Price

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by zuleilah2, Feb 23, 2004.

1. zuleilah2

zuleilah2 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Faced with dwindling cash reserves and staggering under the weight of a $40m debt inherited from their predecessor, the Organization of Africa Unity (OAU), the African Union (AU) came up with a novel idea to fill their coffers and pare down their debt - offer dual citizenship and economic and social benefits to any Africans in the Diaspora (ADs) willing to contribute to a fund to support the AU. The idea was presented and agreed upon at a two-day summit (February ’03) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The plan also included wooing ADs who were highly proficient in technology and education to assist in moving Africa forward into full economic health.

In a speech to other AU officials, Professor Jimmy Adisa said:

"Rather than concentrating on issues like reparations for the slave trade, members of the African diaspora should turn the painful experience to Africa's advantage. Our people are there, and they could be our ambassadors - this is our chance to move forward. We want to transform our tragedy into a source of strength. So far we have been crying over the disadvantages and not looking to the advantages. Finance is a part of the problem. If we are going to mobilise, then we have a resource base outside the continent which is the Africans in the diaspora. Imagine what the AU would look like if they (African-Americans) gave five dollars each. Fringe benefits like free visas and business opportunities that are normally restricted to nationals could be used to encourage members of the diaspora into playing a role. They are our constituency, and we believe they should be involved. The international community is sceptical about the role of the AU, and the African diaspora can help overcome this. We want to use them to explain our position, to use them as a communications piece.” (Source: Quote - African Press Association (SAPA) Archives – 2-11-03)

Do you agree or disagree with Professor Adisa?

2. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    most definitely

this is a wonderful idea. what do you have to do to get involved?

3. zuleilah2

zuleilah2 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    You said...this is a wonderful idea. what do you have to do to get involved

Z: Unfortunately, the AU hasn't finalized the proposals/plans that will allow Africans in the Diaspora to fully participate in AU activities. The next summit to discuss donations, how to get involved, etc. is tentatively slated for May or June of 2004.

I'll keep my ear to the ground.

It should prove to be quite interesting!

4. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    :luvv: I would love to get involved with this as well. I'll keep checking this thread to get more information. I have friends who go to school here from Congo. They are all getting their degress in different fields. They plan to go back when they graduate which is in May or June of this year. They plan to get together and open up a Orphanage. Once I get my Nursing License I would like to help them but I want Dual Citizenship. I want to do all that I can to be of some help to the people of Africa.I would like to know how I can go about getting Dual Citizenship. I'll be on the look out. :roll: