Black Education / Schools : dropped out of four year college to persue assoiates

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by PoeticManifesta, Jun 8, 2005.

1. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I dopped out of my four year college to persue 2 assoiates degrees.. and because i was running out of money and thats another story! I figured to use those credits now insetead of filling in the "some college" as the highest level of education completed.. it worked out to my benifit because not only can i list my bachelors on my resume but in addition i have 2 assoiates.. that are somewhat different.. one in Economics and one in Business Orginizations... with my bachelors being a Decision Science Major- Marketing.. so i have diversified myself.. apparently employers are loving my resume these day.. even though i like my laid back job.. theyre actually callin me at work.. tryna get me to work with them. I just decided to share that for my younger sisters who come to a crossroads.. between 4year college.. and bills and life. :insane:

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I also went the Junior College route too. I believe that going to a JUCO before going to a 4 year makes alot of sense, makes you more mature and discplined in class, and of course just saves cheese!

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I started my college career at a community college as well. I'm a huge proponent of associate's degrees & the quality of education at CCs. As brother man stated, not only do they save money (well over 50% in many cases), but community college students who transfer to 4 year school are usually better prepared and more mature.

4. 9EtherAlchemist

9EtherAlchemist Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Well I wanted to thank everyone who commented and Poetic's post was especially helpful. I am EXACTLY there. I've been in school for 5 1/2 years and I'm half way through a chemistry degree, but to many things are happening and I can't keep living off of loans. Still thought I want to finish my chem degree. Sigh back and forth

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hang in there, Sister.

It's never "too late" for an education.

My own mother finished her nursing degree @ about 40 y/o....After dropping out of college because of finances and then having children, she had to wait until her children were old enough to be at home for her to go back to school and work.

....Where there's a will, there's a way.

6. 9EtherAlchemist

9EtherAlchemist Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I hear you Blossom, I'm heading back to school this upcoming spring.