Audio Video Web Conferencing : (draft) Video Chat Etiquette

Discussion in 'Audio Video Web Conferencing' started by anAfrican, Sep 19, 2005.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    (this could, undoubtedly, be smoother, but i hope you feel where my heart is coming from?)

If one wants to speak on the mic, or play some music, it is much easier if one sends a message to the room to that effect. If there is someone playing music, they will be watching for just that. After they have acknowledged you, AND relinguished the mic, then you can use it.

When one is playing music, it would be "comfortable" if one would be sure that the key stroke sound is turned off. Otherwise, we hear each and ever key stroke that you type. Go to Options -> Sounds and either mute all sounds, or, at the very least, uncheck the key stroke option. (it might be key press)

Also, when playing music, there are two different places to adjust the volume of the sounds that are being sent into the room: on the media player, and on the "Recording Volume Controls" panel. The first one to set is the "Wave Out Mix"/"Stereo Mix" slider in the Recording Volume Conrol panel. Setting this to approximately the second or third notch up from the bottom is usually sufficient. DO NOT set it all the way to the top as the music will be fuzzy, and possibly distorted. This does not affect how loud it is to you, but how loud it is sent to the room. By the same token, adjusting the sound using the speaker icon will adjust how the music sounds to you, but not how it goes into the room.

Personally, when I am playing music, and/or at all times that I am not using it, my mic is set to "Mute" on the volume control panel. At the very least, the mic volume could stand to be turned down, as everthing that comes across your speakers is reflected back into the room. Thus, we can always tell when a message gets to you. It's kinda "odd" to hear when the message that just "announced itself" to "me", announces itself to you. Yeah, every message that comes in, when your mic is live is heard twice by each person!

i would appreciate any additional thoughts folks would have on this attempt at a "Video Chat Etiquette" guide.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    not sure how the Chat Mods have things set up but a good note on the table
    here to look at , i'm sure the Mods have a plan as the chat grow ....good idea
    anafrican

3. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a suggestion...

Remember to set your Status (Away, Busy, BRB, etc.)

It's annoying going into chat and greeting people who not there or have stepped away from the PC.