Black People : Dr. Martin Luther King's Celebrations Are Becoming a Disgrace

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsVeraisblessed, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Its bad enough most POC and white business are not embracing this historical moment. But this here photo makes me gringe on what these young folks really know about what this man has done for us? It's just sad. Will any of you be attending the Martin Luther King celebrations? Do any of you participate in it? Do any of you enjoy the outcome? Have any of you notice the decline of the participation in these celebrations? I'm telling you now, i will not be going this year...

[​IMG]

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Which means that there plan is working!!

If:

- makes you 'gringe' wouldn't you think it would do the same for most of us here?

If you didn't like it why post it for all the world to see for as long as they like which means that you are actually PROMOTING the picture and their ugly depiction of Dr. King.....:confused:

I go to a celebration every year at the same place and i haven't noticed any decline in numbers. Years ago at one celebration while holding my son in my arms i met Dr. Betty Shabazz out by the front door, as she was the guest speaker that year and a picture was taken of me and my son and she was standing behind me and ended up in the picture with us...:)

At the celebration they show slides of important moments in his life, as well as have entertainment, prayer and have vendors all around the venue....

If Dr. King were here today and saw that you did not want to attend a celebration for one of your own because of what that persons enemy said, he'd probably say something like:

"don't measure a woman by where she stands in times of comfort & convieneince, but rather where she stands during challenge & controversy"

3. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Ahhh info,...i posted it because i wanted to... And yes, i know about Martin Luther Kings quotes.

Me not going is my decisions or my choice not because of some twisted logics from the pics. You went because you wanted to go which made it your choice...

We don't have that big of a celebration here in OKC.. Just neighborly schools, some black businesses, which we don't have a lot of, a few marching bands, etc...

Btw,..thanks for your input...

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    oh, ok...For some reason i just think everybody lives in a huge city like NY and there is always some festival or celebration taking place that one can attend at a moments notice.....

Ya'll don't have a big celebration, but ya'll do have my boy K.D. :wink:

[​IMG]

5. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I don't care for KD or the Thunders at all.. so,... *shrugs*

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    In Oratory, one often repeats certain ideas. One of Kwame Ture's oft repeated ideas is a reflection on an event he spoke at for Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday in an HBCU. He asked the crowd "How many of you love Martin Luther King Jr.? Raise your hands." He observes how some raise two hands. Then he asks "How many of you read even one of his books? Keep your hands up." And the whole crowd lowers their hands. This may have been twenty-years ago. We notice, in actual reflection, that up to High School, in the way of books, young people hardly read any. And the books they do read, beside from textbooks, are largely fictional accounts of late Europe or early and middle America. Then in College it's a series of overpriced textbooks and a few more fictional books; unless they are in Black Studies, these books are very likely non-Black-oriented. Really, it's reasonable to say, very few of us know what Martin Luther King Jr. thought. So the advertisements shouldn't surprise anyone. It's an expression of the thoughts of a really White-minded generation. What would be surprising would be an expression of Martin Luther King Jr.'s thoughts.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............lol

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i remember MLK as a fighter for social JUSTICE. i was there in DC when he spoke.
    i cannot relate to the thing his day has been turned into.
    i do attend current celebrations.

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

I can agree with this.

The same applies to Malcolm X... Ask most of them about him and all they can say is "By any means necessary." --- They can't tell you anything else he ever said.

And with MLK, all they can say is "I Have a Dream."

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    'Ever thought about getting with some other like minds to organize a better observance?....the schools, the local businesses, etc..

Perhaps a by grade-level (elem/middle/high school) presentation at the local schools about MLK which doesn't focus on the "I Have A Dream" speech but his other speeches/quotes.

Perhaps a movement to include his books in the local curriculum.

I'm just throwing stuff out there.