Black Spirituality Religion : Dr. John Henrik Clarke On Organized Religion Vs Spirituality, Part 1

Donate

Please support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp - Thank you.

Keita Kenyatta

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
The diety "Atum" is not related to christianity so can you please explain how you reached such a conclusion with some factual references?

I went back and checked out the info that she was mentioning and the result so far is in these videos about "the Sibyls". I haven't checked all of these out yet but I'm posting them anyway and hopefully this can be discussed in the near future. here is the writ up on her book: ,
"BOOK REVIEW: The Sibyls" BOOK REVIEW The Sibyls: The first prophetess’ of Mami (Wata). Zogbé, Mama. Martinez, GA: Mami Wata Healers Society of North America Inc. 2007. 154 pp. ISBN 978-0-9716-2456-6. Reviewed by Dr. Gail Singleton-Taylor In her new booklet, ‘The Sibyls’, Mama Zogbe writes persuasively about the role African women played in numerous ancient civilizations including Mesopotamia, Egypt, Ancient Greece and Rome. She reveals the intentional, historical cover-up regarding the sibyls’ centrality to the success of these early civilizations. Drawing on numerous historical documents and academic sources, Mama Zogbe provides much-needed information about their work, lives and challenges.
These Mami prophetesses provided divinations, healings, and prophecies to both the low and high-born. They were the divine moral authority; the ancient predecessor of the modern-day Vatican. Political and military leaders like Alexander the Great and Augustus Caesar regularly consulted these holy women. Included in the booklet are brief biographies that personalize these highly-revered women, like, Cumae, Eriphyle and Themis of Delphi. (Mama Zogbe admits that the vast majority of sibyls may never be identified.) The fascinating final chapter “Images of Ancient Sibyls” illustrates how they were artistically depicted---both positively and negatively---throughout the ages. Unfortunately, due to the rise of a virulent racist ideology coupled with patriarchal belief systems (which borrowed dogma heavily from them) the sibyls eventually lost their cultural, economic and political clout.
The most sobering example was the co-opting of the Sibylline Prophecies which were eventually plagiarized into epic poems like Homer’s Odyssey and the highly revered Judeo-Christian Bible. The Sibyls can be viewed as a call to African women throughout the Diaspora to comprehend that their present oppressed and disempowered condition was not always the case. This concise, well-researched text is an astonishing historical revelation about these powerful African priestess clans whose true spiritual, educational, economic and cultural impact on the ancient world has been both largely and deliberately concealed. It is also a devastating critique of mainstream religious tradition. The Sibyls is divided into 5 chapters with an index of topics, copious endnotes and an extensive bibliography to inspire future study and research. This material, which was printed originally in Volume I of the ground-breaking “Mami Wata,” is part of the series “Reclamation of the Religious Heritage of the Diaspora Project.” The riveting history of the sibyls truly deserves to stand alone. Highly recommended for those interested in learning about the authentic, ancestral, spiritual role(s) of African women from ancient times to the present day.

[media=youtube]ySeVQdptCEM[/media]

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
I went back and checked out the info that she was mentioning and the result so far is in these videos about "the Sibyls". I haven't checked all of these out yet but I'm posting them anyway and hopefully this can be discussed in the near future. here is the writ up on her book: ,
"BOOK REVIEW: The Sibyls" BOOK REVIEW The Sibyls: The first prophetess’ of Mami (Wata). Zogbé, Mama. Martinez, GA: Mami Wata Healers Society of North America Inc. 2007. 154 pp. ISBN 978-0-9716-2456-6. Reviewed by Dr. Gail Singleton-Taylor In her new booklet, ‘The Sibyls’, Mama Zogbe writes persuasively about the role African women played in numerous ancient civilizations including Mesopotamia, Egypt, Ancient Greece and Rome. She reveals the intentional, historical cover-up regarding the sibyls’ centrality to the success of these early civilizations. Drawing on numerous historical documents and academic sources, Mama Zogbe provides much-needed information about their work, lives and challenges.
These Mami prophetesses provided divinations, healings, and prophecies to both the low and high-born. They were the divine moral authority; the ancient predecessor of the modern-day Vatican. Political and military leaders like Alexander the Great and Augustus Caesar regularly consulted these holy women. Included in the booklet are brief biographies that personalize these highly-revered women, like, Cumae, Eriphyle and Themis of Delphi. (Mama Zogbe admits that the vast majority of sibyls may never be identified.) The fascinating final chapter “Images of Ancient Sibyls” illustrates how they were artistically depicted---both positively and negatively---throughout the ages. Unfortunately, due to the rise of a virulent racist ideology coupled with patriarchal belief systems (which borrowed dogma heavily from them) the sibyls eventually lost their cultural, economic and political clout.
The most sobering example was the co-opting of the Sibylline Prophecies which were eventually plagiarized into epic poems like Homer’s Odyssey and the highly revered Judeo-Christian Bible. The Sibyls can be viewed as a call to African women throughout the Diaspora to comprehend that their present oppressed and disempowered condition was not always the case. This concise, well-researched text is an astonishing historical revelation about these powerful African priestess clans whose true spiritual, educational, economic and cultural impact on the ancient world has been both largely and deliberately concealed. It is also a devastating critique of mainstream religious tradition. The Sibyls is divided into 5 chapters with an index of topics, copious endnotes and an extensive bibliography to inspire future study and research. This material, which was printed originally in Volume I of the ground-breaking “Mami Wata,” is part of the series “Reclamation of the Religious Heritage of the Diaspora Project.” The riveting history of the sibyls truly deserves to stand alone. Highly recommended for those interested in learning about the authentic, ancestral, spiritual role(s) of African women from ancient times to the present day.

[media=youtube]ySeVQdptCEM[/media]

I am aware of the source and the claims by Mama Zogbe. These kind of statements needs to be backed up with hard evidence in a historical context. Atum is an early dynastic diety. One of the oldest in Kemet.furthermore, the term Sibyl is of Greek origin.

Latest profile posts

Kemetstry wrote on Destee's profile.
What ever you've done, you can no longer post to the kitchen table
It's been a good while, but this place has always been home. Thankful to be here.
Hi! I'm not as active on this account as I want to be. For one I tend to forget that this site exists until I check my email. Two, I'm currently in the process of building up a fine art site for Oklahoma black and native historical references. The references correlate with another site that will be a storytelling site that has not yet been produced.
Happy to be back and gaining more knowledge!
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Welcome Home Beloved! :wave: :love: