Black People : Dr. Boyce: Teacher Refers to First Graders as “Future Criminals”

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World

Jennifer O’Brien, a teacher in Paterson, New Jersey is in serious trouble after some remarks she made about her first graders on Facebook. The teacher, who’d grown frustrated with her class, went to Facebook to state that some of her students were “future criminals.” The bulk of O’Brien’s students are black and hispanic.
During her peculiar Facebook post, O’Brien stated that she’d just spent another day in the “blackboard jungle.” She then went on to say “I’m not a teacher, I’m a warden for future criminals.”
Later in the day, O’Brien went back to Facebook to ask why her first graders couldn’t be put into a scared straight program, which allows young people to meet real prison inmates. “They had a scared straight program in school — why couldn’t i bring 1st graders?” she said.
O’Brien’s comments got back to the school board, who suspended her immediately. This week, she appeared before a government school inquisition, who asked her about the situation. That’s when O’Brien told an administrative judge that she wrote the post because six or seven students kept disrupting her lessons and interrupting the children who wanted to learn.
O’Brien claims that one boy hit her, another one hit a child in the class, and that she had filed several disciplinary reports to the principal.
“I was speaking out of frustration to their behavior, just that build up of ‘I don’t know what else to do,’ and I’m actually scared for their futures, for some of them,” O’Brien said. “If you’re hitting your teacher at 6 or 7 years old, that’s not a good path.”

Read more:
http://yourblackworld.com/2011/08/30/dr-boyce-teacher-refers-to-first-graders-as-future-criminals/

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World

Jennifer O’Brien, a teacher in Paterson, New Jersey is in serious trouble after some remarks she made about her first graders on Facebook. The teacher, who’d grown frustrated with her class, went to Facebook to state that some of her students were “future criminals.” The bulk of O’Brien’s students are black and hispanic.
During her peculiar Facebook post, O’Brien stated that she’d just spent another day in the “blackboard jungle.” She then went on to say “I’m not a teacher, I’m a warden for future criminals.”
Later in the day, O’Brien went back to Facebook to ask why her first graders couldn’t be put into a scared straight program, which allows young people to meet real prison inmates. “They had a scared straight program in school — why couldn’t i bring 1st graders?” she said.
O’Brien’s comments got back to the school board, who suspended her immediately. This week, she appeared before a government school inquisition, who asked her about the situation. That’s when O’Brien told an administrative judge that she wrote the post because six or seven students kept disrupting her lessons and interrupting the children who wanted to learn.
O’Brien claims that one boy hit her, another one hit a child in the class, and that she had filed several disciplinary reports to the principal.
“I was speaking out of frustration to their behavior, just that build up of ‘I don’t know what else to do,’ and I’m actually scared for their futures, for some of them,” O’Brien said. “If you’re hitting your teacher at 6 or 7 years old, that’s not a good path.”

Read more:
http://yourblackworld.com/2011/08/30/dr-boyce-teacher-refers-to-first-graders-as-future-criminals/

School to prison pipeline?

Homeschooling or "unschooling" looks better and better everyday B-)

this is not surprising...
i grew up in a predominately white neighborhood
and can recall several instances of subtle racism....
i remember in 4th grade i wanted to play the trombone in band
but the band director was like...u have the lips of a saxophonist so
play the sax instead...lol

taint nuthin new under the sun....

one love
khasm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back