Black People : Down To The Wire: Students To Study US Show

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Television viewing is moving from the sofa to the classroom as students at a British university are offered the chance to study the US drama The Wire.

The University of York has revealed it will offer a 10-week module in the cop show as part of its sociology degree.

The HBO series, which is set in Baltimore and follows the fortunes of drug dealers and police officers, has attracted a host of dedicated followers, including Barack Obama.

But now final year students will examine issues like race, class, political process and the city in the module entitled: "The Wire as Social Science Fiction?"

Professor Roger Burrows, head of sociology at the university, said: "We look at The Wire as a form of entertainment that does the job some of the social sciences have been failing to do.
"It's a contrast to dry, dull, hugely expensive studies that people carry out on the same issues."
He hopes the new course will challenge the traditional methods of teaching social science.
He added: "It's easier to get students to use The Wire as a way of looking at the current political system than it is to get them to read a dull book on it."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100516/ten-down-to-the-wire-students-to-study-u-8a3eada.html

It sounds like some good could come out of this. I am all for challenging the traditional methods of teaching.

I have never seen The Wire although I grew up in Baltimore and people always ask me if Baltimore is like the show. LOL.

Thats the only thing about people and tv shows. Some people think that tv is the absolute truth and they would never do their research outside of that tv watching experience.

I think that using tv as a learning device could be a good thing, but it really just depends on how they go about it and if there is any supplemental reading material.

"art imitating life imitating art"

... <sigh> the more i read any media and responses/reactions, the more i just want to be dead and gone! TRULY

say whaaat??? <sigh> just flat stupid. but that's whitey for ya; program the dome via the media. controlling the airwaves controls the minds of those that are stuck to the bube tube .. and the movies ...

c'mon now! this is why people all over the planet come to this country and basically ignore anything y'all got to say: THEY DONE LEARNED THE "TRUTH" OF Y'ALL THROUGH TELEVISION!!

and now they gonna do it some more. does this danged program touch on the meth issue in white communities? does it portray this obsession white folks got with various uppers? ... never mind, i don't really want to know.

TURN OFF THE TV AND GET OUT THERE AND LIVE

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back