Black Education / Schools : Dorm Room Eating.

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by BallOfConfusion, Apr 17, 2008.

1. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    This seems a little dramatic but in all honesty this is the way I feel: Sometimes when I eat I go into a trance and I just stuff my face like I've never eating or am ever gonna eat again. Then after I'm done i feel gross! Or there are those times when I've got a few bites left but I'm full to the brim, i don't want to waste the food so i eat it anyways. after eating i feel dirty, i feel like i can feel the fat oozing out of my pores. I feel like every pudgy part of my body is enlarging by like 90,000% and I envision my self as super fat. I always say in a joking way I'm gonna be fat one day. But i don't wanna be. Since I'm so short any weight I gain shows a lot. When I'm heavier I feel uncomfortable. I need to start eating healthier, but it's just so easy to cook up that burger plus I have a very very selective food choice.

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I believe food to some can have that trance, hypnotic effect

When you say you feel dirty, maybe it because you would like to control your urges and since you didn't you transfer that disappointment into a feeling.

I have been full and stuff the rest not wanting to waste food. It hurts later and is uncomfortable.

Do your best you are a food lover, connoisseur. Nothing wrong with enjoying food and sampling a variety. Don’t make yourself sick.

Take care and snack often and small quantities. Sweets kill my appetite

3. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    sweets never kill my appetite, lol sometimes they are my dinner. I really do love food I eat! I find myself eating when I'm not even hungry, just something to do. Seen I live in the city the walking keeps the weight off of me, I'm just worried about health issues when I get older.

4. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Try this if you're looking for solutions...

Health

I use this experiment continuously. Try it in whole or in part. You don't have to agree with the observation or the hypothesis to determine if you can put the experiment to constructive use.

5. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    I understand completely. It seems like a lot of that is on an emotional/mental love.

Its definitely not good to stuff yourself with all of that garbage euphemistically called food!

You should try to buy a couple vegan cookbooks and try a few recipes that you like. If that body is fed enough nutricious foods then the stomach will stop asking for food.

Maybe you can even detox every now and then to keep off that excess weight.

What kind of foods do you like currently? There is always a healthy counter food to it that tastes the same but is much more healthy (for example a veggie burger)

6. GrozTheWarrior

GrozTheWarrior Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that it takes a great deal of willpower to make changes like this. One thing I can suggest is taking it one small step at a time. Here's what I did...

I, too, would like to 'streamline' my body a bit more, as 8 years of college really took their toll. The first change I made was stopping my intake of soda. Every time I went out to eat at a fast food place (another bad habit in itself) I would opt for either water (which also saved money) or unsweetened Ice Tea. If you are a soda junkie, diet soda has to be the way to go. It's sickening to me now to look at the amount of sugar in a regular can of soda. Being strong enough to say no to these beverages was hard at first, but you have to force yourself to drink things that are healthier. I stopped drinking caffeine altogether and within a few weeks I felt myself having more energy during the day and I could get to sleep easier at night.

I suggest starting there, since it worked for me, then taking it to the next level and monitoring what food you eat. You tell us that you enter a 'trance-like' state when you eat and that's completely reasonable, but you also mention that you 'need to start eating healthier' which tells us that you're aware of the issue and want to take steps to fix it which is :great:

Hope this helps!

-Groz

7. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Good to see you back, Groz! :wave: and dropping such gems too - good advice on where to start, I agree.

Zulile

8. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Haha, I totally understand ya. The processed foods at the restaurants and grocery stores are so dayum good. I'm a college student living off campus with junk food, sloppy roommates who can't even keep a kitchen clean. So I find it difficult to cook something healthy. Most of the time, its fast food & grocery store junk food.

I think as soon as I graduate and get my own apartment, I'll be able to control my surroundings and what goes in my refrigerator alot more better.

9. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Aren't the veggie burgers such as the BOCA burger made from soybean? I've read that soybean is unhealthy for the human body by causing hormonal imbalances in testosterone for men and estrogen for women. But dayum they are delicious. When I was in middle & highschool, the cafeteria used to serve soy burgers for lunch.

Once I graduate and get into my own apartment, I really would like to try out the vegan lifestyle. Is there more to being a vegan than eating salads, beans, bread, and rice all day? I tried that one day and I was soooooo hungry. I was starving for carbs and meat.

10. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    lol...Yes, but not all veggie burgers are made from soy. Although too much consumption of soy is shown to be harmful because it hard on the digestive system and some other stuff (its highly processed, etc), it will ALWAYS be healtheir than eating fast food and the other common junk that Americans eat (dairy, meat, refined grains, sugar).

As a vegan (hoping to be a raw foodist one day), I try not to consume much soy or any at all. I like mostly raw foods, or lightly cooked as to not destroy essential enzymes.

And lol, the starvation is a mental thing I am sure. There is much much more to the vegan diet then eating the things you listed. You just have to exclude unhealthy items that shouldn't be there in the first place! Naw but on the real, there are many alternative and great tasty filling items that can be prepared. If you really look into and test a couple things out in the kitchen, you will be suprised! In my opinion, organic and healthier foods taste a lot better then any junk food. Just the other day I had went to this vegan restaurant and they had cacau (sp?) which is the unprocessed form of chocalate. Anyways, they had the cacau rolled in walnuts and its tasted so much better than any snicker bar or anything.

You should just see if there are any vegan restaurants in your area to try some things that seem filling to you and delicious. Or look up some recipes online. I have no problem with being filled up and a couple nutrient packed fruit smoothies will have you full for a long time! I heard the bodies hunger strikes come from the body seeking full nutrients or sometimes a mental thing.

Just my opinion though!