Honoring Black Ancestors : Doris Troy

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009

Doris Troy (January 6, 1937 – February 16, 2004) was an American R&Bsinger, known to her many fans as "Mama Soul".
She was born as Doris Elaine Higginsen,[1] in The Bronx, the daughter of aBarbadian Pentecostal minister. She later took her grandmother's name and grew up as Doris Payne.[3] Her parents disapproved of "subversive" forms of music like rhythm & blues, so she cut her teeth singing in her father's choir. She was working as an usherette at the Apollo where she was discovered by James Brown.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Troy​

Mama I Want To Sing! is a 1983 black musical based on the life and times of singer Doris Troy...

Mama, I Want to Sing! (musical)

... Mama, I Want to Sing! opened March 23, 1983 on a very tight budget, however worth of mouth throughout the black community spread the word about the work. Audiences flocked to see the musical which "presented the passion, spontaneity and emotional uplift of the black church experience along with a universal message for anyone with a dream." Currently, Mama, I Want to Sing! has played 2,500 performances in New York and another 1,000 performances throughout the United States, Europe, and Japan. It has been performed in front of thousands of people, and is the longest running black off-Broadway musical in American history. On January 7, 1985 Time magazine named Mama, I Want to Sing! one of the ten "Best of '84" theater performances. On January 20, 1986, the show hit its 1000th performance milestone. On February 1–6, 1994, Mama, I Want to Sing! played to 40,000 at the Paramount Theater at Madison Square Garden. In 2003–2004, Mama, I Want to Sing! celebrated its 20th Anniversary at the Williams Institute C.M.E. Baptist Church in Harlem, formerly the Lafayette Theater. 2011 saw the release of the long awaited premiere of the film adaption of the musical by 20th Century Fox....

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama,_I_Want_to_Sing!_(musical)#Cast_and_crew

Mama, I Want to Sing! (film)

Mama, I Want to Sing! is an American musical film written and directed by Charles Randolph-Wright, produced by Vision Films and CodeBlack Entertainment, and distributed by 20th Century Fox's Fox Faith division. The film is an adaptation of the off-Broadway gospel stage musical of the same name, written and produced by Vy Higginsen and Ken Wydro.
The film is based on the life story of Doris Troy, a preacher's daughter who sang in a church choir before being discovered by James Brown. Doris Troy's niece, Knoelle, who has played the star role in the off-Broadway production, makes her film debut in the movie in a principal role.
One of the executive producers announced via Twitter that the movie was completed in June 2009. The official movie trailer was released and premiered on September 22, 2009. ....

....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama,_I_Want_to_Sing!_(film)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back