Black People : Don't Our Black Ex-Offenders Deserve A New Start?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Aug 18, 2012.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    [​IMG]

Ban the Box: Let’s give returning citizens a fairer chance to get hired

• Sun, Aug 05, 2012

Congressman Hansen Clarke (D-MI)

For many people who have been convicted of a crime, the end of the sentence is the start of a new kind of punishment. Millions of citizens convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony face years or even decades of joblessness, often leading to hopelessness, more crime, and imprisonment.

It’s time to break this ugly cycle of incarceration.

http://michigancitizen.com/ban-the-...ns-a-fairer-chance-to-get-hired-p11493-76.htm

EDITED BY DESTEE

Majority of article removed and link included.

::
    ::

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    This is the hell that today's subculture doesnt want to deal with. And more of a reason not to go down this path. It doesnt give 2nd chances. They dont want to talk about it. And we should, loudly to all our youth

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    I feel and think you're missing the point...

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Us being unable or unwilling to admit we're no more 'perfect' than anybody's else relations for the sake of an idealized image of who we be is just another means/ways/etc we accept our inferior status in relationship to others allleged superiority...Then why did any of them need a government backed bailout at the taxpayers expense? Let's don't just deny the obvious, i . e. , their beloved way of life is at risk too...FYI...

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

We part ways here. This isnt an idealized view. This is about the decisions we make every day. Not to say what's on our minds and get fired. Not hang out all night and show up to work on time the next day. Not to pick up that weapon. Not to go get high. Study. Listen and learn. That isnt perfection, it's common sense. They get the job(s). Those who decided to do the wrong thing, end up with a PERMENANT record. You cant blame that on the man. Just as GEDs dont get as much play as high school gradutates. Excons dont get as much play as str8s.

Dont get me wrong, everyone should earn and thus deserves a 2nd chance, once their debt is paid. But the babe that got used by every player in the joint dont get to marry the rich guy next door. You must spend some time in the minor leagues to get back to the pros

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    It was and is an issue and problem as regards not simply who got caught but what sort of double standards leads to big time drug dealers just having to do community service (some 'role models') and/or lose some (if not all) of their loot via court fines etc., whereas low level drug dealers without the means fall victim to other folks ends...

Other sort of unrelated (non drug related) felonies aren't so much subject to the defendants being truly judged fairly 'by a jury of their peers', more a bad reflection of a court appointed lawyers 'easy way out', i. e., plea bargains and no trial at all, hence is why a number of people who shouldn't have went to jail wind up doing hard time behind bars too, e. g., no community service and who lack the funds to pay court costs, etc.

You just have to quit prejudging all of them on the basis of white media hyped notions (or anybody's wrongheaded notions of black playas ad naseum, (the urban 'street life' subculture), whereas the very issues/;problems/etc. brought up via this and other forums lead to desperate people resulting to desperate means to achieve their dreams and schemes...

Yes...

There remains some truth to that ole seventies song lyrics, i. e., "Living for the City", and sometimes yesterday's victim does wind up being a victimizer themselves...

But...

"If you do the crime/you (should) do the time" is a simplistic take on very complex bunch of unresolved issues/problems/etc. and Hanson Clarke's proposal is one of the most rational resolutions I've come across so far....

It need not be the exclusive and sole one...

What is yours?

As I've said/written before:

I strive to reach/to teach/not just preach!

FYI...

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    In some states, one of the things even an ex con who has served his sentence etc. is denied is their right to vote, i. e., if they're been convicted of a felony...Such is yet another ploy being (mis) used to undermine the number of blacks who wind vote for Obama, the second time around, too...

As a now legendary white freedom fighter once said/wrote:

"It's all political"

FYI...

8. G Ali

G Ali Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    I've said it a million times before... the prison system claims to reform us, when we go legit the the job force ignores us.

A record has always been the biggest stumbling block for ex-offenders...and for every one person that's willing to give you a chance based on qualification and character....there's ten that are happy sticking with their preconceived notion of you based on your past.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

Once your debt is paid, you should be allowed to vote

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Even mainstream sources tell us one of the tactics of the Republicans has been (or is) to bully away black male voters who have felony records...

I. e., their not just the 'other' party, and none of their mainstays were or are for us, as a given...

FYI...