Black People : dont believe the hype

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Therious, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I am currently a bartender by trade. I work in a restaraunt in which there is a stereo type that black people do not tip. Yes we get many ignorant fools who come in, act stupid, then don't tip the waiters or bartenders for their labor. We also get many black folks who tip well. The same for whites , but there is this notion that black people dont tip. Whats most disgusting is the fact that i hear this from other black people. With the many white people who don't tip I never hear other employees or comedians saying "whites don't tip".

I get good and bad tips from all people period.

It seems we just love to hate each other, I had a so called undesired looking young black couple leave me like 30%+ the other night. But off their looks I gurantee the white servers or zombie black servers would have been like, oh no i dont want to wait on them.

I usually don't discuss race with whites but some how my supervisor and I got on the subject of race and tips. He told me that black servers would tell him don't put any black people in my section. He told me a story of how he was delivering pizza and an elderly black lady tiped him and said you should be greatful because black people don't tip!

This is more than just tips and such. I see this in all walks of life, we let the rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. i mean Russia is having a severe Aids problem as well as india yet we see blacks as the most prone to Aids.

Why do we have whites who will treat you like crap and their just a bad person. but a black person who treats you like crap does because he is black?

How can we ever expect respect when we assist in the hatred of our selfs?
    peace

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I never believe any negative statement about my people, still thank you for dispelling another stereotype!

3. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    That goes both ways....

There is also a stereotype about black waitstaff not being very attentive or professional and having a lot of (bad) attitude as well... some folks (including "us") cringe and groan when their waiter/waitress is black. This phenom pervades the whole service industry due to those few "rotten apples" that stay on their cell phone like it's glued to their ear during entire transactions at grocery and clothing stores and waitstaff that drop your food off and never return until they bring the bill. You look around for them when you need a refill on your soda or something taken back to kitchen and they are sitting over at another table laughing and hanging out with a group of their friends. One of my pet peeves is hair stylist that aren't ready when you arrive for your "appointment" ! They gotta go pick they kid up and get them some mcdonalds, run to the bank, go by the beauty supply store or whatever. I'll be like : "Now look-a-here gurl, you intrudin' on MY time now..."
    YES...there are plenty of sullen/rude/lazy service folks of all race/ethnicities, but we all know that "we" are held to a higher standard and what one of us does, unfortunately tends to be reflected to the rest of us. It's not fair or just, but this has always been our reality and one of the many crosses we have to bare.

Peace ~

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Well, I look for Blacks to wait on me so that they can make their money. I tip well as long as things are done correctly. If they take my order and don't return until it's time for the check, NADA. If the waitress/waiter is all up in my face every 10 minutes, a couple of dollars. If they don't leave me alone when asked, NADA. If they make a few mistakes and do the right thing by accepting their mistake and correcting it as fast as possible, then I give them a good tip. A good tip is 15% or above the cost of the dinner.

I always look for Black waitresses and waitors. Not necessarily because I don't like White folks but because they usually don't make a lot of money due to the stereotypes. I remember a situation that occurred at a restaurant on a band trip when I was at FAMU. We had over 150 members in our band. We stopped to get something to eat on a Sunday when we were returning from a football game. The restaurant had about 5 waiters...only one Black waiter. None of the White waiters would wait on us. The Black guy had to take all of our orders. He got all of our orders out on time. He got us our drinks on time. He was very orderly. Every single person paid between $5 and $15 for a tip. He earned, he deserved and therefore, he got a very good tip. We made sure of that.

There is an upscale restaurant here in Detroit called Seldom Blues owned by Robert Porsche, Detroit football player. I think that's his name. Everyone waiting on you is Black. I tip everyone from the person who valeys to the coat check person to the waitress/waiter. The valets are usually very young...early 20s.

I take care of my peoples.

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm only 19 years old and I think I would be shocked if stereotypes of black people like this seize to exist. I think I remember hearing something about the black waiter stereotype, too.