Black People : Don Imus - Nappy Headed Hos

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Don Imus - Nappy Headed Hos

The broadcaster, Don Imus, said Wednesday during his nationally syndicated program that members of the mostly black Rutgers team were "nappy-headed hos."

The team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning," which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC television network.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos … ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus has since apologized, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Destee, I wonder if Michael Dyson and other defenders of using the N-word are going to defend Imus using those words. (smh) Also aren't these the same kind of words ("ho") that Black rappers and others use publicly when they refer to Black women--all the time in their music AND when they're talking. Some Black folks just accept and USE that kind of language, in their circles, and don't consider it any big deal, just like with the N-word. Why is their anger and surprise about this? If a lot of Black folks use and accept this kind of low-down language from each other, and they do, then I don't know why we get upset when white folks use it.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We Are Not Amused

Well, you know I don't watch tv but I hope the spiritual and consciousness raising movement that is going on in the real world will have its effect on what calls itself Black entertainment.

In the meantime, wear your hair proudly, sistas. My hair is just like the woman who wears it: soft, tight and beautiful. I love it. Don't you?

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Oh gee, the man is white. Well he should be taken around the corner and shot.

There are Black people who believe in spanking their children. That doesn't mean they want a stranger doing it. This man's actions should be a wake up call to Blacks who degrade themselves. Their self-degradation should not be accepted as a justification for his actions. Because check it out, you and I don't use such words but the actions of other Blacks who are not yet enlightened make it okay for him to call all of us outside our names. Really?

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I agree, but when we have Ivy League professors and scholars like Michael Dyson (and I was so disappointed by what he did) among our own who seem to defend the use of the N-word, it's like opening the gate for everybody to do it. I think that in addition to going after the Imuses out there, the same folks who are hollering about Imus should also be screaming louder about Dyson. Instead, some Black folks defend Dyson.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    You are so right, Riada. It's crazy. Same cat who told us about Dyson and condemned him turned right atound the next day and called somebody a coon. Pages and pages were spent defending him. Makes me wonder if the energy was well spent. We should have an organized anti-defamation league.

7. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Seek and you shall find.
    http://www.geocities.com/badc_ohio_cols/Related_Links.htm

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey thanks, brotha Omo

This is great. We have always been at the forefront of things like this. Glad to see we still are. The fact that Imus felt the need to apologize is proof that our leagues and councils are making progress.

Before someone comes and says yea but what about poverty? What about this and what about that? We need leagues and councils for those problems as well. We need to fight the war on all fronts.

9. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Check this one out. We also need to take the lead on this one.
    http://www.reparationsthecure.org/links/links.shtml

10. GOODYMAN

GOODYMAN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Approaching it from a racist, bigoted standpoint would have less of an effect as approaching it from a sexist standpoint, borne out of ignorance.

There is nothing wrong with being nappy-headed, though the young women on Rutgers wore nary a natural or beautifully nappy style at all. So I'd be likely to floor his a.z.z. for being blind and clueless about what african hair looks like.

As well the issue is who the he.ll is he to be calling fokes "hos"? See you have to hit people with logic and not emotionalism.

As well Don Imus has said worse things that should have gotten him fired a long time ago.

One thing he said was that Jill Carroll (of the Christian Science monitor) was in cahoots with the Iraquis and insinuated that the reason that SHE was released, as opposed to her translator (who go smoked) was because she was "doing" Habib (Ali Shalal)'s whore and is probably carrying his baby.

He's just a foolish man who, in order to make a living, hollers out foolish things.

He needs to be ashamed, and have his ego crushed. That would shut him up for a while, cause firing wouldn't do anything but gain him more sympathy from the unconscious and indifferent.