going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Don’t Forget About the Electoral College
America’s future depends on it

Ben Chapman
I’m a student in nutrition and environmental sustainability. My goal is to improve the world through public policy. I generally write on related topics.
Aug 23

... But remember that outrage we felt? Remember how furious we were when we saw the popular vote results roll in? It hurt when our opponent won, yes, but it hurt even more to be cheated out of what was rightfully ours ...

https://extranewsfeed.com/dont-forget-about-the-electoral-college-c9d11f4f992c

Last edited:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
The Electoral College Is a National Security Threat
The Founding Fathers never anticipated the rise of Facebook and fake news
By MATTHEW OLSEN and BENJAMIN HAAS

... Because of the “transient existence” and dispersed makeup of the electors, he argued, hostile countries would find it too expensive and time-consuming to inject “sinister bias” into the process of choosing a president. At the time, the new American leaders feared meddling from Great Britain, their former colonial master, or perhaps from other powers such as France, and they designed a system to minimize the prospect that Europe’s aging monarchies could seize control of their young democracy ...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/20/electoral-college-threat-national-security-215626

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
READ NEXT: Electoral College is ‘vestige’ of slavery, say some Constitutional scholars

The Racial History of the Electoral College — and why efforts to change it have Stalled
Nation

... Slaves were the economic heart and pulse of the country and the Northern states, even if they did not engage in slavery, benefited from their labor. So even though slaves were unable to vote, the Convention decided that slaves should be counted as three-fifths of a white person for the purposes of representation in Congress ...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/the-racial-history-of-the-electoral-college-and-why-efforts-to-change-it-have-stalled

Left: Sen. Vernon Sykes and Rep. Emilia Sykes. Photo by Kamala Kelkar

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Connecticut lawmakers pass measure to give electoral votes to presidential candidate who wins popular vote
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN

The Connecticut state House passed a measure Thursday that would give the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate who won the popular vote, if enough states promise to do the same.

The bill would have the state join an interstate compact that grants participating states’ votes to candidates who win the popular vote, the Hartford Courant reported ...

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/385123-connecticut-lawmakers-pass-measure-to-give-electoral-votes-to

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Not so sure this is a good idea (except the three-fifths language should be changed). Electors should be empowered to understand their right not to go with the popular vote when a risk to democracy is at stake, like the situation we find ourselves in now with Trump.

Good-Bye Electoral College? Popular Vote Movement Gaining Steam
It’s not just Democrats that see the virtue in reforming presidential elections

The reform is based on states joining an interstate compact, a legally binding vehicle where states make agreements among themselves despite a national federal government. In this case, states, which the U.S. Constitution empowers to oversee its Electoral College process, agree to award their presidential votes to the national popular vote winner; as of early 2019, the project was two-thirds of the way toward reaching the threshold needed for a 270-vote Electoral College majority, but more states are poised to join.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/03/14/good-bye-electoral-college-popular-vote-movement-gaining-steam

by
Steven Rosenfeld

willa

Apr 7, 2013
The Electoral College was established so that there would be representation of all the states for a vote. We are a republic. Our model is a free democracy to hear all the ideas and concerns. If we were not a republic then New York, Chicago, California, and other few largest states would win by population numbers of their votes. That would be a totalitarian government, because the smaller states could not weigh in. Majority smaller state votes would be silenced, and their personal state issues not considered by the candidates who wouldn't even bother going to those states to campaign. The candidates would spend time out to get the votes from the larger states. We are a united states. This is what has raised us to be a super power.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
:bs: If people had but voted, this wouldn't be a discussion

willa

Apr 7, 2013
You certain of that Mrs. O?

View attachment 14855
Give me your take on the reason for the Electoral College. Popular vote would have got you Hillary Clinton without representation for smaller states. She said she would "grow the economy." Really?

Yes. Trump aggravates people with what he says, but he did grow the economy in record breaking ways.

Now are you trying to tick off ogoun with the Mrs. O stuff? :SuN024:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:great:

Democratic Race 2020
LIBERALS ARE HYPING A NUCLEAR OPTION TO PREVENT ANOTHER TRUMP
Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, and Beto O’Rourke have all said they are open to eliminating the electoral college and electing the president based on the popular vote

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/03/liberals-are-hyping-a-nuclear-option-to-prevent-another-trump?
BY

ERIC LUTZ

Donald Trump and Melania fill out their ballots at a polling station in New York, 2016.
By MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.