Black Relationships : Domestic Violence: Men as Victims

SWUC...

I totally agree with the point you have made....

I, along with so many others including yourself, witness it, read about it, hear about it, and nothing much is ever done about it...

to swerve off the main topic for a minute...it is also alarming how many times this happens when children are the ones being abused, it seems like every night there is another story, same plot different characters, same outcome...something needs to be done about the laws concerning these problems, what that is, I have no idea, but it has to change...

I also find it interesting to see how women, after years of systematic abuse and being let down by the justice system, finally snap, and injure or kill their abuser...all society usually see is a murderer, not a victim...

K

Hey Kit......Thanks for responding... I also find it alarming how many children are not given any help when these situations arise, and god forbid they have any "HomeTraining"..Again the blame falls on Parents and Law Enforcement. I was born and raised in a city that had 118murders last year. 80% of these victims were under the age of 30. Yes something needs to be done... I have ideas that I am trying to put into action in my community. These kids are not going to talk with teachers, counselors, church members, or even the people at the Boys and Girls clubs. It is going to take someone who has been there done that but more importantly, help them not make the same mistakes that have been made time and time again.... .....Dang...What a run on sentence...Sorry.... Thanks..

Kit and SWUC...interestingly I attended a program yesterday that discussed sexual abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence and rape. The facilitator was a clinical psychologist who has done years of extensive research and does clinical practice in this area. Although she specializes in African American women and children, she offered some national statistics that were staggering.

The statistics are frighteningly high for any woman/child to become victims of either or multiple violations on a number of occasions throughout their lives. Far higher than for men. Her data also revealed that a higher number of boys being victimized than adult men. Some data also show that men who were abused as children, will tend to become abusers as adolescents and adults. Whether men or women--either way, abuse should never be condoned but it happens very often and in a variety of different ways and in most male-dominated cultures.

But one of the points the psychologist made was the way the judicial system views a woman victim versus a male victim. Because we live in a male dominant society, our laws, judicial system, law enforcement system, and often our personal views tend to reflect that social system. As such, women receive far less empathy and sympathy when she's a victim. The

The psychologist also made another interesting point. In some male-dominant cultures, a man is more likely to serve less time in prison if found guilty of raping or killing a woman or even killing a child, than a woman will receive if she kills a man.

The primary reason women tend not to report incidences of abuse is because our judicial and law enforcement systems do not support women who have been victims of these "criminal" acts. Often women are judged more harshly in the criminal courts. They risk losing friendships and even marriages dissolve because people tend not to understand the grieving process involved when a woman is violated this way.

I know this thread is about men as victims and I agree that women as perpetrators should be treated no differently than their male counterparts. But I still think there is a greater issue around women and children being abused and that needs to continue to receive major attention.

Regina, with all due respect, until I see your source of data, I do not accept your statement as fact and still I would be highly suspicious of it. That point of view does not reflect ALL women. Plain and simple. I'm a woman and it is the farthest thing from the truth. I know scores of other women and see plenty that have responded to your thread here, that aren't represented by that opinion, including you.

If it, however, represents the women whom you know personally, then I accept your opinion within that limited context.

Respectfully, Queen

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back