Black Relationships : Domestic Violence: Men as Victims

My view is sympathetic. But I don't believe we are "given permission" to hit, slap, and punch men. Many women just believe they can get away with it, hoping the male they strike will hold to the "don't hit females" deal. Some men do, some don't, so it's foolish to say the least to bank on that.

I don't care for any woman to strike any man; generally, they are the "stronger" gender, but hitting still hurts and is a sign of great disrespect. :SuN008:

I think that's what was meant by permission, in a figurative sense.

I do agree that there is a bit of a double standard, but I am not sure I know of a reasonable solution beyond expecting people to treat one another decently and the idea that every one has the right to reasonably protect themselves from harm.

It just seems like a really complex issue because some of these social and legal protections, while they can be unfair to one gender, are rooted in the history of women being the target of abuse and not having rights.

I think that's what was meant by permission, in a figurative sense.

I do agree that there is a bit of a double standard, but I am not sure I know of a reasonable solution beyond expecting people to treat one another decently and the idea that every one has the right to reasonably protect themselves from harm.

It just seems like a really complex issue because some of these social and legal protections, while they can be unfair to one gender, are rooted in the history of women being the target of abuse and not having rights.

Yeah, I understood it being figurative, but the wording just seemed so off; as if to say, hardly anyone finds anything wrong with a woman hitting a man so people just let it fly. Everyone I've come across has a problem with it, man and woman. So I felt "permission" was kind of the wrong word for it. But that's just me and my views.

Yeah, I understood it being figurative, but the wording just seemed so off; as if to say, hardly anyone finds anything wrong with a woman hitting a man so people just let it fly. Everyone I've come across has a problem with it, man and woman. So I felt "permission" was kind of the wrong word for it. But that's just me and my views.

That's a fair point.

Regina

Growing up I always heard the phrase that "only cowards hit women"...
men who hit women were frowned upon and thought of as bullies and "less than a man"

I agree with your opinion on society's outlook in regard to the male/female domestic vilolence situation...most people are shocked/against men hitting/abusing women, but turn a blind eye to women hitting/abusing men...to my way of thinking I would say it stems from the knowledge that men are on the whole, physically stronger than women so therefore have the upper hand and in doing so do not need protection...but I personally have seen the type of women who yell and scream and slap their spouses to get their attention or to demand something from them...and not once have I seen a man hit a woman for doing so...if only these women could sit back and take a look at themselves while acting this way I'm sure they would rethink thier actions....

I am against violence in any form, but I also think that if these type of women are going to persist in this type of behaviour persistently, then they must expect retaliation in some shape or form...

K

I am against violence in any form, but I also think that if these type of women are going to persist in this type of behaviour persistently, then they must expect retaliation in some shape or form...
:toast:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back