Black Relationships : Domestic violence hits Black women harder

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Zulile, Oct 15, 2008.

?

Have you ever been a Victim or Perpetrator of Domestic Violence?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

According to a recently released study, the weapon most used by men to kill African American women was a gun.

The Violence Policy Center, a national non-profit organization that conducts research on violence in the United States stated in its annual report, "When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2006 Homicide Data," that 551 African American women were murdered by males that year.

Of those homicides where a murder weapon could be identified, 305 of the victims were fatally shot and most during the course of an argument.

The study stated there were 1,818 race-identified females murdered by males. And while white women accounted for the largest total of those killed–1,208–African American women were killed at a rate nearly three times higher.

Full Article here

Have you ever been a Victim or Perpetrator of 'Domestic Violence'?

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

:bully:
    The evil ex tried to whoop me up several time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In that many of these socalled studies about our people have been found to be based on bogus data: {There are more black males in prison than universities }. I would have to ask the source

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    having problems with the math, here. or is something missing from the last sentence? 1800 - 1200 = 600 (all approx) 1200 = two-thirds; 600 = one-third: where does "three times higher" come from?

but, as the repugniklan has shown; who needs accuracy when emotionalism "works" so much better?

4. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I agree stats are easy to manipulate, depending on the intent and purpose of the data collector.

I would assume the claim "3 times higher" is data/race population.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    "Domestic violence hits Black women harder" was this an intentional pun?

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    the function of the global system of white supremacy is to have all social pathologies "hit" black people "harder"

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I never believe the data-base , but there have been many stories of domestic violence
    against women / battered /rape and assault battery

I've never been a victim or a perpetrator to such acts but a witness to many
    but a victim of being verbally abused often throughout life.

8. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    hmmmm

is this a taboo subject? Or is arguing the statistics of that particular article enough to.. sweep the rest under the rug?

Why have only men responded? Is that a sign of a "perp" in defense mode? ;) or are Black women not willing to share their 'weakness' in allowing it have happened?

Personally, I have no reason to believe Black women/men are LESS abused (within the definition of domestic violence) than other races. I would expect it would be more, by our near insane circumstances alone. Is this something we can shift blame on? Why can we talk so easy, so freely, on issues like so-called 'black-on-black' crime, drug abuse, racial injustices, unemployment etc but mention domestic violence and one prefers to address the given stats rather than the issue? Is it not an issue?

http://www.blackwomenshealth.com/2006/articles.php?id=35

A Painful Dilemma

Many Black women may find it harder to leave a battering relationship than White women. The reasons for this are unclear, but some possible explanations include the following: (1) African American women have fewer options in their search for a marital partner than do White women; (2) African American women on average, have a lower income level than that of most White women; (3) Black women are reluctant to call the police because they see the racial injustice in the criminal justice system; (4) community support systems including women’s shelters and other service programs may be less available to them and they may view the shelter system movement as something mainly to benefit White women. Unfortunately, many Black women resort to “homicide” as an answer to the violence and battering they encounter.

I can count, on one hand, the number of Black women/men I know who have NOT been abused in their relationships at some point.

9. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    :bullseye:
    well seen, james!

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

It isnt and shouldnt be a taboo subject. I think some, including myself would like the data vetted. :welldone: Because I dont know too many sisters taking an butt whooping or being killed. Domestic violence is on the rise due to the economic times. But in the Detroit area, it's the burbies doing all the killing

:coffee:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. murder black women destee.com