Black People : Does The Technicality of the Word "Colored" Bother Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by hotcocoa, Nov 29, 2005.

1. hotcocoa

hotcocoa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Society says that we are the ones who are colored and that whites have no color at all. This statement is based on complete ignorance. The color white is formed when all colors in the color spectrum combine, it also reflects all colors. Black, on the other hand, isn't even a color--it's a shade. Black is the absence of all color. It's a scientific fact that we don't even see black, even though we think we do.

Obviously there is no such thing as a person with pure white or black skin, but the fact remains, that the darker you get, the less colored you actually are. It just gets on my nerves when words aren't used right. I'm not insecure about my skin tone, I just want people to describe it the right frickin way.

2. hotcocoa

hotcocoa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops. . .I started three of the same topics. I'm new, just so people know. . .

3. hotcocoa

hotcocoa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hellooooooo???

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    HotCocoa ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

I feel you on the "proper" use of words ... but you'll find in this community, that many discussions surround what folk believe are the "right frickin way" to use a word ... and or ... the "right frickin way" to respond when some words are used.

I don't personally get too caught up in the meaning of words, as in many cases, those meanings have changed over time ... plus ... who invented these words ... and why should we have to adhere to just one or two approved ways of using words ... i mean ... i've just seen so many fights about words ... when the bottomline is, a word's meaning could fluctuate a little to the left or right, depending on who's using it, how they're using it, and what their intent is.

All of this to say ... it's not good to get so caught up in a word, that it upsets the peace in you, based on how others use it. Don't let it sweat you Sister, just do you ... use it how you use it (in the best of manners i'm sure) ... and be an example for others, which i'm sure you are!

Make yourself at home ... enjoy all we have ... come into chat ... www.destee.com/chat !

Much Love and Peace!

:heart:

Destee

5. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Welcome Hotcocoa

Welcome to Destee Hotcocoa...:wave:

In examining the word colored you are correct in terms of light waves. White is the combination of colors and black is the absences color or light. Let us flip the script and turn negativity into positivity. It's all about perspective. The word colored was created not to say that color was being add but the opposite. How is this so? Just like "pitted" olives or "stoned" peaches when "ed" is added to these words the intent is to show removal or lack of. So when the white racism invented this word his intent was to say we were devoid of color or light. What is light symbolic of? Knowledge. So when someone calls us colored they actually are saying we lack knowledge among other terrible symbolic things. So we see they have turned black into a negative thing. However the color black absorbs light. In nature a polar has black skin under his white fur. The hair follicles of his are actually hollow tubes designed to funnel light to his black skin so that he will stay warm by absorbing the light. This is same with killer whales. The orca is primarily black as well. This is to absorb light. So we see two of natures most dominant creatures by land and sea are black. Also as stated in previous threads by several brothers here at Destee, it is the black part of the eye which receives light, which also receives and processes information. So being black is to be intelligent and receptive knowledge. In the immortal words of our brother the God the Father of Soul, James Brown, "Say it Loud! I'm Black and Proud!"

Peace..

6. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    The problem I have with the word "colored" is it's suggestion that we were somehow altered from the original.

As if white is supposed to be the norm and the rest of humanity were "colored" different colors.

I wonder how whites would accept the term "bleached".

If they don't mind being called "bleached" or "decolorized"...lol...then I shouldn't mind being called colored.

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

How about colorless, opaque, transparant, translucient, grey, faded, pink, milky and pale. Amazing how a people who blatantly despise blackness created sun tan lotion to become darker. White people openly compare the darkness of their tan to the skin of a black people but don't call them black. They're tan. Then when their frail skin couldn't handle the sun they created sun block.

Peace....

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Black is the presence of all colors

Black is the presence of all colors. White is the absence of all colors.
    If you take white paint and add any color, it is not white any longer.
    White is the lack of color, associated with death, lacking life.
    If you go into space, it is Black (the presence of all).
    When it comes to 'white' people, read what Mark Twain said about his own 'whiteness':
    "Nearly all black and brown skins are beautiful, but a beautiful white skin is rare." (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
    Also "An American's View of Europe" where he dogs his 'whiteness"...
    My point is that we have a responsibility to claim, nurture and pass on our Blackness, our ability to produce color and the importance of that. 'People of color' are the norm of the hue-man world. We should not get it twisted.

9. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, this is very offensive.

This is why after civil rights society called blacks blacks or African American.

10. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    In scientific terms the word “white” denotes the absence of all color, whereas the word “black” denotes the combination of all colors. The Spanish word for white is “blanco,” from which the English word “blank” is derived. The Latin word for white, “albus,” is the root of the English words “albino” (a person lacking normal coloration) and “albumen” (the white of an egg).

Because black is the combination of all colors it is therefore dominant, while white is recessive. And it is a scientific and biological fact that while the recessive can be extracted from the dominant, the dominant cannot be extracted from the recessive.

Prof. Arnold Ehret, author of The Mucusless Diet Healing System, writes:

“The white race is an unnatural, sick pathological race. First, the colored skin pigment is lacking, due to a lack of coloring mineral salts. Secondly, the blood is continually overfilled by white corpuscles, mucus and waste with white color, therefore the white appearance of his entire body. The skin pores of the white man are constipated by white, dry mucus…his entire body is filled up and filled out with it. It’s no wonder that he looks white, pale and anemic. Everyone knows that an extreme case of paleness is a bad sign.”