Black Spirituality Religion : Does the Relationship Between Christians and Muslims Follow the Color Line?

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Not too long ago a Black man had a chicken franchise in this little Bible belt town. He had excellent food and good friendly service and a local church was a big customer buying buckets of chicken for their events. But when this church asked him to post flyers for their events he refused to do so because he is a muslim. Well when word got around enough people in this whole town stopped eating there that he had to close his doors.

My muslim friends tell me there is a repore (how do you spell that word? I have a mester's degree in English and don't know how to spell re-poor smh) between christians and muslims. While the church teaches us to fear and shun mulims when the nitty gets down to the gritty racial solidarity often prevails over religious differences.

I don't think this "re-poor" exist beteen white christians and arab/mid-eastern muslims who have no point of connection like we do in the Black community. Am I right or wrong?

I was taught that there is no racism in Islam but I disagree 100%. History and our realationship with the proponents of Islam/Arabs has been the best teacher historically and personally. At the same time, there exist a division within the Christian church as it regards color as well.

Our people in this country whether muslim or christian have a tendancy to buy what we like regardless of who is selling it. However, in what you call the Bible Belt, there exist a greater solidarity in Christian churches than up north. So it's not hard to conceive the idea that they are very aware of their economic clout and potential and will support those who support them. That situation was one of economics as opposed to religion.

At the same time there is extremism in all things and as such the potential for it to surface is always there. Only in the Eastern world does it actually carry a more religious weight than it does here.

River

Not too long ago a Black man had a chicken franchise in this little Bible belt town. He had excellent food and good friendly service and a local church was a big customer buying buckets of chicken for their events. But when this church asked him to post flyers for their events he refused to do so because he is a muslim. Well when word got around enough people in this whole town stopped eating there that he had to close his doors.

My muslim friends tell me there is a repore (how do you spell that word? I have a mester's degree in English and don't know how to spell re-poor smh) between christians and muslims. While the church teaches us to fear and shun mulims when the nitty gets down to the gritty racial solidarity often prevails over religious differences.

I don't think this "re-poor" exist beteen white christians and arab/mid-eastern muslims who have no point of connection like we do in the Black community. Am I right or wrong?
There are several issues we're dealing with here.

First of all when you're comparing Black Christians and Muslims...most of them are AMERICAN and share the same cultures and backgrounds to begin with.
They come from basically the same environment so their is more comradery.

But I bet there wouldn't be that same type of connection between Black Christans and Somalis who are both Black and Muslim.

Culture and nationality plays a huge role in how well people relate to eachother regardless of religion.

Secondly.......

If you're comparing racial solidarity.

I don't understand why you compared Black Christians to Black Muslims.

But when it came to White Christians you compared them to Arab/Middle Eastern Muslims who are of an entirely different race.

Perhaps these whites should be compareed to white Muslims like Bosnians or Chechnyans.

Keita

I was taught that there is no racism in Islam but I disagree 100%. History and our realationship with the proponents of Islam/Arabs has been the best teacher historically and personally. At the same time, there exist a division within the Christian church as it regards color as well.
Islam is the instructions, Muslims are those attempting to follow them.

There is no racism in Islam....but there is heavy racism in the Muslim world.

Most of it falls along the lines of "tribalism" more so than racism because there are a lot of fighting even among different tribes within the same race.
Look at Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan.

The Muslim world tends to be more divided along racial/tribal lines than even the Christian world.

Dual Karnayn said:
River

There are several issues we're dealing with here.

First of all when you're comparing Black Christians and Muslims...most of them are AMERICAN and share the same cultures and backgrounds to begin with.
They come from basically the same environment so their is more comradery.

But I bet there wouldn't be that same type of connection between Black Christans and Somalis who are both Black and Muslim.

Culture and nationality plays a huge role in how well people relate to eachother regardless of religion.
Point taken.

Secondly.......

If you're comparing racial solidarity.

I don't understand why you compared Black Christians to Black Muslims.

But when it came to White Christians you compared them to Arab/Middle Eastern Muslims who are of an entirely different race.

Perhaps these whites should be compareed to white Muslims like Bosnians or Chechnyans.
I never think of whites as having a significant muslim population in America. Of course, if you're going to go over seas that changes everyting. But I'm talking about the way we relate here in this country. I just put the Arab muslims as a natural counterpart to white christians in juxtaposition to Black muslims and Black christians.

River

I never think of whites as having a significant muslim population in America. Of course, if you're going to go over seas that changes everyting. But I'm talking about the way we relate here in this country. I just put the Arab muslims as a natural counterpart to white christians in juxtaposition to Black muslims and Black christians.
I understand this, but when you're discussing racial solidarity, whites and Arabs are not of the same race.....like Black Muslims and Christians.

In my humble opinion, a better comparison would be between the white Christians and white Jews here in America.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back