Black People : Does the Church Limit Black Progress?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Goddess Auset333, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    -----Original Message-----
    To: undisclosed- recipients: ;
    Sent: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:01 AM
    Subject: [Luv4self_Network] Does the Church Limit Black Progress?

Holy Lockdown: Does the Church Limit Black Progress?
    • Why are there many churches, yet major problems in Black communities?
    • Why are Blacks amongst the most Jesus-Praising people in the world, yet the most fragmented and economically dependent?
    • Is there a correlation between high praising and low productivity?
    Holy Lockdown addresses the paradox that exists within the Black community. One that reflects the abundance of Black churches coupled with the abundance of Black problems. There are approximately 85,000 predominately Black churches in this country, meaning, we could have 1,700 Black churches in every state!
    Holy Lockdown takes a critical and long overdue look at the psychological impact the church and sermonic rhetoric has made on the Black collective, and it explores the possibility of the church as being a contributing factor to many social problems facing Blacks.
    Holy Lockdown: Does the Church Limit Black Progress? is a much talked about book that has received the attention of many noted Black educators, including Dr. Frances Cress Welsing, author of The Isis Papers; Dr. Asa Hilliard III, author and professor at Georgia State College; Joan Cartwright, legendary Jazz vocalist; Professor Griff (Public Enemy), Dr. Rosie Milligan of Milligan Books and Keidi Obiawadu, founder of LIB Radio.
    TITLE: HOLY LOCKDOWN ...... Does the Church Limit Black Progress?
    AUTHOR: JEREMIAH CAMARA
    ISBN#: 0-9747967-0- 0
    PRICE: $14.95

2. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Wow......amazing that this hasn't gotten more post.

Sis Marimba Ani ....defines blacks in church as "spinning their wheels in the Rhetorical ethic."

Blacks can actually do whatever and be who ever they want in this vipers den we are entangled in.

What is the epitomie of black progress ?

some folks define their progress in the integrity of the church and Black Nationalism is low on the scale of values.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    interesting concept...
    i don't think we as black people were built for the christian theology...
    the whole you can do whatever you want and God will still forgive you theory...
    thank you for this information sister...i probably will pick this book up...

one love
    khasm

4. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    The Black Church has not only underdeveloped the power potential of the Black community, but has actually squandered its potential, impaired it, and prostituted it in service to alien peoples and cultures...

Dr. Amos N. Wilson

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
  6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    It is a very, very interesting Book. I finished the Book in less than 2 weeks - it is very hard to disagree with much of what Bro. Camara says...it is too True.

KM

7. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I think its too EARLY to discuss the IMPACT of the BLACK CHURCH since it has HELPED OUR COMMUNITY in more ways than ONE.

It was our only guise for FREEDOM of ASSEMBLY for US in the NATION under an OPPRESSIVE SYSTEM.

I just think the TALK in many CHURCHES TODAY relate to BONDAGE instead of when our ANCESTORS assembly in sharing thoughts of HOPE and FREEDOM.

If you like BONDAGE then the CHURCH can certainly TALK you into that DIRECTION.

For our ancestors it was also a LEARNING LESSON on STANDARDS for the COMMUNITY. From ELDER to the BABE. They learn about EACH OTHER and the NEEDS of the COMMUNITY.

Still it all relates to what TEACHERS are in place.

And there are PLENTY of BAD TEACHERS in and out the COMMUNITY.

That means the CHURCH too.

Oh well.

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    does the church...

haaa,i'm still trying to get an answer to the age old question...why do black ministers drive cadillacs?

9. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    This is a good question, but not a new one ...
    good question, but a BLIND one to many!.
    (I don't believe I'm all up in this thread, but...here I am!)

There's a book that will be out very soon called: "50 QUESTIONS EVERY CHRISTIAN...Should ask themselfs about the BIBLE and more".

Holy Lockdown? ...in better terms of HOLY DESTRUCTION OF DEATH!
    It all boils down to the same thing ...Religon & Politics are bed parteners, they sleep tightly snuggled together 24/7...as long as they do...HOLY LOCKDOWN, will forever live.

10. torch

torch Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Just remember our ancestors were forced to be christians by the slave masters...so christian churches dont do anything for us...all it does is it still has the concept that whites are superior to us because a god said so....which is much farther from the truth..