Black Spirituality Religion : Does the bible teach violence?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Therious, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The bible talks of god destroying earth because people wont praise it (not knowing if m orf) who or what is this being and why should one die because one does not agree with gods take on life (that is if you believe the bible at All or take it as entertainment).

So many humans have used the bible to excuse violence. Does the bible teach that its okay to persecute those who think differently than you?Is the bible acurate or was it written by peiople who had no knowledge of previous civilizations before them??

is the message in the bible violence similar to a modern day movie?

2. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    From what I've read of it....and I've read the entire set...the Bible does condone violence in certain cases.

Just like the Koran.

And I think that's honorable.

Human beings are violent by nature and even if there were never any religious books there would be mad violence and bloodshed among us....probably worse.
    Atleast these scriptures attempt to regulate the ruthlessness that is so inherent in the animal kingdom.

However, I can't justify or excuse ALL of the violence that was condoned in the Bible such as killing women and children and entire cities....I don't accept that.

But when it comes to defending the community against outside aggressors and certain laws calling for the execution or beating of one convicted of a crime, I agree in most cases.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    there are societies where crime is extremeley low. I dont think people are violent by nature. violence is needed as stratagey at times. But i would say that being non violent is what seperates humans from animals.

I ask the question because so often you hear people quoting scriptures as they beat their kids or attempt to control other people.

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, different humans practice different levels of violence.

Some are violent naturally, some are violent by circumstance, and other's aren't violent at all.

But the Bible not only justifies the beating of children but ever the killing of them under certain circumstances...lol.

There is a verse in the bible that actually commands that any child that curses his parents be taken out and stoned to death.

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    lol and i though my grandmas switch use to hurt.:getout:

Makes we wonder wether the people who wrote this book were a bit looney. i mean how would you feel if went up to the mountains for weeks, grew a full beard then came back with stones i had wrote on saying god talked to me?

6. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Why wouldn't someone agree with the Father's take on life, seeing that He's given it? :confused: We are His creation, so whether we live or die is His decision, and there can be no argument to it. But we have been given a decision to make before us, in believing and having faith in His Son, so that we can have life the life we seek with the Most High, just as He does after His resurrection and ascension. This is what His sacrifice for our sins was for, so that we can choose life.

The death of our bodies is inevitable, so regardless of how it comes about, it was going to happen anyway since the days of Adam. But living on beyond that is up to what we do in worshiping our KING.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :10500: apparently, it teaches christians to show no violence toward white people......

8. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    If I dare to chime in on this thread: If one is truly about uniting us etc., why would some here either place their blind faith in one book, or others deny that others faiths are as valid as their own beliefs?

In the case of the first: Being of the same faith didn't lead a lot of white folks to end slavery, and in the second case, that in and of itself neither implies nor suggests our ancestors/forebears/uncles/aunts/grandparents/parents/etc. beliefs or faith as any less valid than our own...

It was and is either the hoarding or misuse of the things our Creators meant to provide all of us, i. e., by a relative handful, which was and is what characterizes either our next challenges and/or our fates...

We are born creatures of free will: So we choose to either destroy or protect the lands we will on and/or each other...

FYI

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Well said chuck, well said indeed ... :toast:

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    What I have learned is that "the people of old and the so called prophets...they declared their belief in a God...in a concept of right and wrong. They prayed and then they rose up from their knees and began to kick @ss as proof of their belief and what they prayed for. In essence, they taught me that "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD". So we claim to have all this faith and all this belief without any action that proves what we believe in to have any value at all.