Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Does Scab Hair Exist?

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
What is "Scab Hair"?
Scab hair – Newly grown hair that is dry, wiry and crinkly. If you recently big chopped and previously had a relaxer, the follicle may have been damaged previously from using the relaxer. Scab hair doesn’t represent the actual texture of your natural hair and will need to grow out and snipped off to show your true texture.
http://www.naturalhaircommunity.com/natural-hair-dictionary#S
I was reading an article on CurlyNikki.com (click here for article) about scab hair. The reason being, my hair looked completely damaged and just not right after doing the B/C. Parts of it looked decent while others looked just like how the definition describes.
There has been some debate as to whether this phenomenon is real or not. I tend to believe it is real, because relaxers can and do damage your hair all the way down to the scalp. One would have to think about how it burns on your scalp when the chemical is left on your hair after a period of time...This must do critical damage to the follicles of the hair as well.
This picture below is what Scab Hair may look like....This is not my hair, but of a woman who thinks it might be.
2w25074.png

Has anyone else experienced this?
Do you believe this fact or fiction?

Oh My Gosh Sister! ... :eeek: ... Scab Hair ??!!! ... REALLY ??!!!! ... :eeek: ... :puke:

Why does our hair hafta have this non-medical - non-real - grossed out name associated with it?!! ... :puke:

Doesn't our hair have enough to go through ... without adding ... SCAB HAIR ... to the list !!!??!!!

I didn't read all of what was found in the links you provided above, but i did get far enough to read this :

What is Scab Hair? ... It’s really not a scientific or medical term and it’s used to describe hair that is in the process of being in transition. The term has nothing to do with literal scabs but is a layman’s term. Scab hair has no definitive texture or curl pattern and tends to feel wiry. It is the first few inches of hair that grows after a chemical relaxer has been stopped.

Okay ... so it's not a scientific or medical term ... yet we're attributing scientific and medical sound'n terminology to it?!!

It has nothing to do with scabs, but that's all in the name?!!!

See ... this is just too much for me ... :thinking:

I'm sure there is some adjustment, transition, healing, going from chemical alterations and applications performed on the human body, to natural ... but scab hair is way too much ... in my humble opinion.

I've been natural for many years now, spending many more permed prior too, and the closest thing to a "scab" i ever experienced was when the chemical relaxer was left on too long, burning my scalp and actually injuring and ultimately leaving a scab ... and even then it was never referred to as "scab hair".

My natural hair experience has NEVER left anything that remotely resembled a scab.

But obviously ... reality, science, or medicine has nothing to do with ... scab hair.

Thanks for sharing Sister MsInterpret ... :wink:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

It doesn't mean to litterally have scabs on your hair....
Let me break it down to my opinion of why it is called "scab hair"

...When anyone falls and breaks skin in order for it to repair itself a scab forms.
Scab hair comes only after transition from relaxed to natural. IMO, this is just damaged cells during the process of healing.
Upon reading other forums and blogs about "scab hair", the damaged follicles return to their natural state (sort of) and then your original hair returns from the roots....Similar to a scab.

yeah Sister MsInterpret ... i get it ... but i still don't like the term ... and i don't see it as an experience folk will be flocking to get to ... SCAB HAIR ... hmmmm ... that sounds nice ... let's see ... how many other SCAB experiences are folk running to ... :thinking: ... *insert jeopardy music here* ... or ... *any horror film soundtrack you might know* ... :eeek:

our struggle with our hair, loving it, healing it, embracing it in its own natural fullness is challenging enough without adding frightening terms that have absolutely nothing to do scientifically or medically with the experience.

there is no scab in our hair from going natural ... but it's being weaved (pun intended) all throughout this thinking

why not just keep it real ... call it what it is ... a transition ... some healing ... maybe even a bit of damaged hair for a time immediately following the big chop, that will pass as time goes by ... (if this is even true and/or applies to all or most) ... why make up a new term / phrase that conjures up pictures of sores, scabs, etc., ... as a result of going natural ... that are not true

it's way ironic to me ... twisted and perverted even ...

chemical relaxers are much more likely to cause scabs ... and the term doesn't apply to it

straightening hair with a hot piece of metal is more likely to cause scabs ... and the term doesn't apply there

it is applicable during a specific time in the hair's life ... that is LEAST LIKELY to actually produce a scab .... :brickwall:

okay ... no literal scabs ... just the literal word ... SCAB ... :thinking:

why not just call it ... HIV HAIR ... or ... ICE CREAM HAIR ... with this logic any name could have been chosen ... :look:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back