Black Spirituality Religion : Does Religion Keep Us Divided?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Hello Family,

As i browse this forum, i can't help but think of how i've heard that religion is the great divider of our people. That it was/is used to keep us from uniting. While this forum is probably tame compared to spiritual / religious forums on other sites, there is still quite a bit of ... "My God is Bigger Than Your God" ... kinda back and forth.

So my question is ... does religion keep us divided, and if it does, can we unite as a people, in spite of these divisions?

:heart:

Destee

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Good questions and excellent points.

I don't have a problem with what God other people worship, but I do have a problem with people who say their way of worship/veneration is the only way. With that being said, the only things I could unite on would be the more mundane issues, like health care, racism etc.

3. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    It absolutely keeps us divided. Tension between people of 2 religions that are essentially the same is not unheard of at all. Relationships have ended simply because to devout black christians were of 2 different flavours of chritianity. Thats insane. So are people who are quick to pass judgement on every black who does not go to church or does not subscribe to a particular religion.

I gotta wonder just how many of the single black women out there are alone because they drove away every man who didnt subscribe to the exact same things as them or that didnt go to church? Probably many. There are men that ditched their woman cause she was not religious enuff too.

I have heard of people comming to black areas in the US from other palces and being ostricized because they didnt go to church. I have heard of cases of families disowning, or simply causing static with members who choose to walk their own path rather than continue with the same church stuff everyone else was doing. Then we got that church in ATL where the parents beat the hell outta the kids as part of the rituals and actually said they didnt want their kids back if they could continue to whip them like slaves as part of the church service.

Black people dont know how to handle religion and church responsibly alot of the time and because of that, the community is tottaly fractured ...... when a black person puts organized religion over their friends, lovers/spouses, family or even their own children....WE GOT A PROBLEM.

The miss-use of organized religion is destroying the black community from all angles. We complain about discrimination from other groups, but we are worse because we discriminate against ourselves....most because of colourism....and (the main one) RELIGION.

Thats my take on it.

4. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +162
    Destee, since you asked this question and I am in the process of doing my second volume of "The Religious Factor", I shall grace you with the introduction and part of page one. Hopefully within the intro and the first page you shall find your answer.

One of the most critical inbred beliefs that has been passed from generation to generation in the last 2,000 years, is the belief that "one needs a religion". To not have one is almost taken as something wicked or evil in the minds of those who have been conditioned in that fashion. One of the most unsought studies in history is the study to analyze the condition and societies before the creation of religion.

Were there wars ? How did people treat each other ? What was the reality of the societies and nations upon the earth before the creation of religion ? The answer is out there as clear as day. There exist no history of bloodshed, imbalanced societies or God based conflicts. Instead, what we do discover are societies with such a high idealism of God, that to so called modern societies, it almost seems mind blowing. History reveals people who lived their lives preparing for death or a new life based upon how they lived this one. In essence, there was no fear of death and nothing but adoration and high respect for life.

In as much as volume one of my work explores many issues as it relates to religion and how we define what we call God...the greatest thing I hope many readers understand, is the depth that humans have stooped to in order to manipulate and control other humans for their own elite purposes.

Through death, destruction, deception and wars, all with God's name attached to it, men have used so called religious concepts to justify his most evil thoughts and intents. From slavery to outright genocide, men through religion have signed God's name to all things except life, peace, balance and spiritual development.

For many of us, our definition of God is the highest and purest idea or thought that we can conceive of. As such, we have attributed every positive and constructive word possible to our concept of our Creator. With the man made concepts of religion, we as people have not found a way to bring our constructive and positive ideas of God into the actual practice or principles of the religion we claim to practice.

The end result has produced division based upon how various groups and societies claim that they see God. This same division exist in what people claim that God said or didn't say in the written word or books we now follow. The emotional intensity of people wanting to be right concerning their definition and belief in how they see God and his supposed holy word, has in essence produced more horror and death upon the earth than all the major wars or catastrophies combined.

Even those wars that we deem as being political will be found to have religious undertones to them. Study the Islamic Jihads, the Christian Crusades, and even the dropping of the bomb on Japan that was blessed by the ministry before it was dropped. Study how Christianity affected the mentality of Adolph Hitler and many so called leaders and intellectual men who perpetrated some of the worse horrors thought of upon other men. Even our people's death in slavery was religiously based with many of the vessels carrying so called good Christian names on the sides of them...and that's at least 100 million dead right there.

What is therefore needed ? Truth, and that's just a cleansing process. Next is a return to a spiritual development system so that people can spiritually develop to KNOW AND ACTUALIZE GOD RATHER THAN JUST BELIEVE. Until this is done, there exist no salvation for humanity with their present concepts of God.

In Peace I come and Go.
    Keita Otiba Kenyatta

5. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    Religion keeps us divided. This is one of the main teachings of GOD. This is why so many religions are denounced in the Old Testaments. Religions were the main thing used to divide Israel as a people and it is the main reason that Israel as a people need to rediscover the relationship with the GOD of the Old Testaments.

Amos:3:3: Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

6. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Religion will always keep people divided. People are different, therefore there will always be "different belief" systems. Moses had to deal with this as well as Jesus Himself with the Pharisees and the Sadducees. Will people ever come together as one with one faith...no...that will never happen...unfortunately. Only in the end when we stand before God. Then HE will separate the goats from the sheep.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    :toast:

Amen, Sister Joyce.

8. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

Can you please clarify what you mean by "unite" in this context?

Peace

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Brother Precise Allah ... unite is a relatively general term, and i'm willing to accept whatever definition you have for it.

I try not to get too caught up in definitions of words, for i've found doing so can take the discussion way off track.

So, for the sake of the discussion ... i'm willing to accept however one defines unite, as i'm sure we're not too far apart on it.

Is that okay, a sufficient response?

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Does Religion Keep Us Divided?

Sister Destee,

Excellent questions have been asked, the degree to which answers easily escape; in part caused by varying definitions or understanding of just what Religion is, as well as cultural differences applied. Socially, personally and politically there are contextual adjustments in the overall understanding of just what Religion is and what Religion is not. For anyone serious about understanding the term Religion, here is a devoted link titled:

Definitions of the word "religion"
    (None are totally satisfying)​

It is rife with explanation of the problem we encounter when the term Religion is discussed. In my view, it’s a great read and helps navigate through the maze or enigma you provided, Sister DesteePeace In my sister friend

http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm