Black Spirituality Religion : Does religion influence your actions?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Nfant_De_Milieu, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Some people let religion guide them well others donot. Some may have faith but not a religion. Should there be /Is there a line between when to let religion influence your actions or not? Please give your take on 3 scenarios.

1.If a man's wife is very sick and needs medicine or she will die. Is it wrong for him to steal it if he cannot afford it?

2.You are a priest and someone has come to the confession box confessed to you something distrubing to you. Being a priest you know what is said to you is confidental. This person tells you he is going to posion a certain person tomorrow at a certain event.

3Is it wrong for a woman get an abortion after she has been raped?

2. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    good topic

l'll start by saying... great topic :toast:

and then by saying there is no line between our belief and our actions. We are one with what we believe.

But as for religion...

the word religion is mentioned once in the bible.... even then it was used broadly... Religion as it used to classify and divide is "not in line" with Christ and the focus of the bible.

the word faith, however is mentioned countless times in the bible...

So the bible is faith[/I] based.

Your first question:
    Proverbs 6:30-31 says "People do not despise a thief
    If he steals to satisfy himself when he is starving. (31) Yet when he is found, he must restore sevenfold. He may have to give up all the substance of his house."

Your 1st question and this scripture are of the same nature and are in similar context.
    verse (30) marks his instinct and innocence. he's hungry and has to eat; who doesn't? however, (31) by contrast conjures a law and conviction, b/c law is principle, not insight. he's guilty by law, nothing else. The law says he's wrong, but we know better.
    Faith tells me not to steal, so l wouldn't.
    But understanding tells me to understand why people steal.
    religion is not in the equation.

Your 2nd question:
    what's in questioning is this guy/girl's source to information- the priest. He is in a dilemma and has a hard decision. Priests are no longer needed to mediate- that would be for those holding on to old civil and religious laws.
    as For the priest and the guy/girl in the situation, Hebrews 4:15-16 says of Christ "for we do not have a High Priest who can not sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet w/o sin. (16)" Let us (them, priest, guy/girl) come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

they both need faith, and not religion in this matter.

Your 3rd question:
    ln Deutoronomy 22:25-28, God is deadset against rape.
    l also have this link, http://www.carm.org/questions/rape.htm
    where this lady has experieced rape, pregnancy, birth and all types of struggles. God's peace and mercy be on women who bare these crucial experiences...
    God understands women in these cases like no one possibly can, lo let no one judge.

ln conclusion, we those who believe in the Son are free to use their faith righteously. that is, understanding all things, believing in God for all things, and trusting good in all things (hard, easy, good, bad).
    Our "influence of actons" as you put it, respectively, are inspired by some type of belief, some type of faith and hope... know what l mean?? So there is no line. We are one with what we believe.
    We are one with what we believe.

what's religion go to do with it??

peace be.

3. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    also for your 2nd question...
    l would rather lean to a source who is perfect in his will and his way, taking my confessions before God who is sure what to do, unlike the priest you described.
    this makes me confident, that Christ is the High Priest and the one who doesn't ruin your confidence.

A person's way and belief are inseperable, just to add.

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    No, there is no line that I draw nor should there be a line; you do not just turn on and off your faith or religion when it seems convenient, but live it as if it's your very breath.

1. Yes, it's wrong to steal; in faith, even when things are desperate, you don't just use your own reasoning and think you'll provide answer or comfort for yourself. The Father will provide.

2. The manner in which people confess now is not how it was meant when faith was first given to this generation. Confessions weren't supposed to be like some kind of contract that held confidentiality, but a trust and an unloading of a burden between all members of the church to each other; such a confession in the example just seems like a sick joke which should indeed be handled rightly if the priest were truly of the Father.

3. It's always wrong to smite the baby in the womb of your own accord. It is murder, even if the baby came about of rape; it doesn't make murder any less wrong.

This is what I believe, but any person(s) in these situations would apply what they believe, and if it be in the Father, they'd not worry one bit at the situation they are in; it may be hard, bu they won't be broken.