Black Women : Does race matter when it comes to RAPE?

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I read somewhere recently that a great tragedy is that MOST Black men know AT LEAST ONE BLACK WOMAN in their lives who has been the victim of rape, incest, molestation, or some other form of sexual assault. Does race matter when it comes to rape?

Read for yourself and tell us what you think!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mitchell/cst-nws-mitch16.html

Peace,
Queenie :spinstar:

If murder is the world's oldest crime, then rape is surely the world's second oldest crime. Does race matter when it comes to rape? The violation, shame, and trauma of such a disgraceful act is the same for any woman regardless of color. What is different is how these cases are brought to justice. Historically speaking white men have rarely been convicted of raping women or color, while black or hispanic mean get thrown under the jail for doing so (or being accused of doing so).

This article though touches on another issue though, not of forceful rape, but statutory rape. This is a somewhat different matter, and in this instance one's culture can play a major role. In many cultures it is normal for an older man to date younger women. Indeed in some places a 15 year old can be considered a woman. As stated in the article, statutory rape has to be reported, for the offending adult to be convicted. If he/she is not report the justice system appears to view this as "no harm, no foul". In Black & Hispanic houses many don't seem to mind thier girls dating & having children by older men (the recent uproar over R. Kelly not withstanding). I don't need to read about it, because I see it daily: 16-17 year old girls living with men in their 20s & 30s. Grown men picking up 14 & 15 year old girls in their cars. 25+ year old men taking high school girls to the Sr. & Jr. Proms. None of these relationships are secrets from their parents (usually just a mother). Is this truly a cultural issue, or is something more going on? I'd like to hear what the ladies of Destee think.

panafrica said:
If murder is the world's oldest crime, then rape is surely the world's second oldest crime. Does race matter when it comes to rape? The violation, shame, and trauma of such a disgraceful act is the same for any woman regardless of color. What is different is how these cases are brought to justice. Historically speaking white men have rarely been convicted of raping women or color, while black or hispanic mean get thrown under the jail for doing so (or being accused of doing so).

This article though touches on another issue though, not of forceful rape, but statutory rape. This is a somewhat different matter, and in this instance one's culture can play a major role. In many cultures it is normal for an older man to date younger women. Indeed in some places a 15 year old can be considered a woman. As stated in the article, statutory rape has to be reported, for the offending adult to be convicted. If he/she is not report the justice system appears to view this as "no harm, no foul". In Black & Hispanic houses many don't seem to mind thier girls dating & having children by older men (the recent uproar over R. Kelly not withstanding). I don't need to read about it, because I see it daily: 16-17 year old girls living with men in their 20s & 30s. Grown men picking up 14 & 15 year old girls in their cars. 25+ year old men taking high school girls to the Sr. & Jr. Proms. None of these relationships are secrets from their parents (usually just a mother). Is this truly a cultural issue, or is something more going on? I'd like to hear what the ladies of Destee think.

Panafrica you make some very good points about the complicency of adult condoning their under age daughters dating men in their 20's and 30's. I would imagine their argument would be, "what can I do as a parent? she'll just do it behind my back" To that I would say, that depends on the level of guidance given to the child and the overall character shown, and taught by parent.

I've noticed that this mostly occurs in homes which do not have fathers in them. I can't say for sure if these young ladies are looking for father figures in older men, but I'm sure this does play a role in this situation. However this only explains the mentality of the girl, not the mother who permits the relationship. Do these guys financially support the mothers (I know of some cases like this)? Do they just not care who their daughters date?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back