DOES ORGANIC FOOD CONSUMPTION INCREASE/DECREASE CHANCES OF DIABETES?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by KWABENA, Feb 13, 2007.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Maat-Hotep:

Does Organic Food consumption increase/decrease chances of Diabetes?

What is your input?

KD

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    It depends.

Not organic fruits and vegetables.

There are some grains though that are high in carbs with a high glycemic index that do increase the diabetes risk factor.

Be careful of those processed "organic" foods in the frozen foods section. They are low fat but high sodium and high carbs.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I see...

So that would mean that Rice Cakes (for instance), and Spelt can be said to be risk factors, correct?

KD

4. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Im not sure about rice cakes (are they sugar free?) but spelt is about 62% carbs and 9% fiber, and it contains gluten.

If you can eat wheat or wheat by-products it may not be detrimental to you.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thanks my Brotha for that information.

Also, something else, but this concerns drinking.

I am a consumer of GLACEAU smartwater now, and from reading what it contains, it contains vapor distilled water. Now based on what one of the guys at the Health Food Store said about Distilled Water consumption, is there a set limit as to how much is sufficient to drink?

KD

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Brother Kwabena, Im not really sure about any set limit. Glaceau contains electrolytes which helps with absorption and I dont think that there would be a problem it it is helping to aid in hydration. In fact, I probably should try this product in-between drinking "vitamin-water" which contains carbs.

7. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    My bad...I just looked and vitamin-water is a GLACEAU product.

I drink no more than 20 oz per day and a few days ago bought a 4-pack of the 8 oz bottles. I try to drink at least 32 oz. of spring water for every 20 oz. of vitamin water, and perhaps need to drink more. This also depends on how long a workout I do. The more cardio, the more springwater.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I sure wish I had it the way you do, Bro. Omo.

I am in a College Environment, and the campus is no more than 3 square miles. Not to mention, the surrounding environment is very, very polluted and contaminated (especially from a Scientific standpoint). Also, the School's Cafeteria does not do the best job with food. They serve Cantalope, Honeydew, Grapes and Watermelon (once in a blue moon), but 1/2 the time it is frozen! (Hence, you lose the liquid from it).On the weekends, they barely even serve fruit. I can not drink anything there, because everything contains the Sugar I am fighting so hard to stay away from, including the slushies (which contain more Sugar than the juice).

That being said, I have to 'commute' for better Health & Wellness, even for Sunflower seeds. Bottom line is - in this type of environment, with the little moving around that I have to do, as opposed to what I choose to do, I do not know exactly what is enough, or not enough. I do not know exactly what is good to eat (what will get me through the day), and what is not good (what will have me 'napping' during study hours). Although I have been drinking plenty of Electrolyte-enhanced Water, I do not necessarily NEED it, because I do not do anything that involves "dehydration." I will have to find the right time to exercise; my Class Schedule does not make things any easier. My second [water] preference is Artesian Water (FIJI), which is "free-flowing." I think that may be best for me. I will have to check it out.

KD