Black People : Does Individual Financial Success Disqualify Us From Reparations?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Feb 19, 2009.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    There are differing opinions about this and both sides appear to have reasonable arguments.

My great great great grandmother Somerville Staples was a slave of a prominent Virginia doctor. Her son John Wesley Staples was born on July 4th (of all days) in 1865 (of all years) and was the first free born child of the Staples family who was also one of the few of his contemporaries who could read and write.

John Wesley owned a farm which he protected with shotguns and pistols. They even brough guns to the dinner tqble that's how bad the racism was in Virginia at that time. Because they wer not allowed to send their children to school John Wesly and his wife Eliza got together with their neighbors to form their own school.

When he died in 1940 John Wesley left a literate family, $40,000 in cash and a thriving farm. This inheritance was a small fortune that even his great grandson Brent Staples benefited from.

Now the question, Obviously the Staples family did better than even some whites. As a result some people say since the slavery of Somerville did not prevent John Wesley from succeeding it cannot be shown in a court of law that slavery qualifies her descendants to receive damages since there were no apparent damages. Is this a valid argument?

It seems to have an effect on some of us as well. It seems that some of us avoid avenues to success for fear this will somehow let the white man off the hook and disqualigy us from receiving justice.

If I steal a billion dollars from a bank and the bank does not fail but instead is able to precure five billion dollars does that mean I can keep my billion and not go to jail? Should the bank file for bankruptcy toprove I damaged it?

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Does Individual Financial Success Disqualify Us From Reparations?

In my view, No, it should not sister river!

3. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Really Great Post

That's a wonderful legacy that you have Sister. I believe that reparations are not solely about the financial success of Africans in America, but about the energy they collectively used to build America. Imagine for a moment the true potential of the financially successful Africans if racial barriers had not existed! The legacy that your ancestors left is truly impressive, however; let us consider that success in comparison to barons and cartels of say the house of Rothchild:

The fact was that in 1910, the United States was for all practical purposes being ruled from England, and so it is today. The ten largest bank holding companies in the United States are firmly in the hands of certain banking houses, all of which have branches in London. They are J.P. Morgan Company, Brown Brothers Harriman, Warburg, Kuhn Loeb and J. Henry Schroder. All of them maintain close relationships with the House of Rothschild, principally through the Rothschild control of international money markets through its manipulation of the price of gold. Each day, the world price of gold is set in the London office of N.M. Rothschild and Company.

Although these firms are ostensibly American firms, which merely maintain branches in London, the fact is that these banking houses actually take their direction from London. Their history is a fascinating one, and unknown to the American public, originating as it did in the international traffic in gold, slaves, diamonds, and other contraband. There are no moral considerations in any business decision made by these firms. They are interested solely in money and power.

Tourists today gape at the magnificent mansions of the very rich in Newport, Rhode Island, without realizing that not only do these "cottages" stand as a memorial to the baronial desires of our Victorian millionaires, but that their erection in Newport represented a nostalgic memorialization of the great American fortunes, which had their beginnings in Newport when it was the capital of the slave trade.

The slave trade for centuries had its headquarters in Venice, until Seventeenth Century Britain, the new master of the seas, used its control of the oceans to gain a monopoly."​

"

http://www.the7thfire.com/Politics ...the_Federal_Reserve/house_of_Rothschild-5.htm

I often reflect on what seems to be an insurmountable challenge of re-balancing the global economy, redistribution of wealth is a flight of fantasy for most of us not due to any true loyalty of capitalism; but instead to the realization that banking cartels and trans-national corporations deal in billions and trillions of dollars. So, even if a handful of Africans in America manage to accumulate millions of dollars, their empires pale in comparison to that of this megalithic vampires.

So, in brief, my support is that reparations must include not only all Africans of the Diaspora, but an economic restructuring of African currencies, and an obvious elimination of "debt" and foreign "aids". The oppressors could do all of this and still maintain a grip on the power they hold; because the damages inflicted mentally, emotionally and spiritually also need to be addressed.

4. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Really Great Post

That's a wonderful legacy that you have Sister. I believe that reparations are not solely about the financial success of Africans in America, but about the energy they collectively used to build America. Imagine for a moment the true potential of the financially successful Africans if racial barriers had not existed! The legacy that your ancestors left is truly impressive, however; let us consider that success in comparison to barons and cartels of say the house of Rothchild:

The fact was that in 1910, the United States was for all practical purposes being ruled from England, and so it is today. The ten largest bank holding companies in the United States are firmly in the hands of certain banking houses, all of which have branches in London. They are J.P. Morgan Company, Brown Brothers Harriman, Warburg, Kuhn Loeb and J. Henry Schroder. All of them maintain close relationships with the House of Rothschild, principally through the Rothschild control of international money markets through its manipulation of the price of gold. Each day, the world price of gold is set in the London office of N.M. Rothschild and Company.

Although these firms are ostensibly American firms, which merely maintain branches in London, the fact is that these banking houses actually take their direction from London. Their history is a fascinating one, and unknown to the American public, originating as it did in the international traffic in gold, slaves, diamonds, and other contraband. There are no moral considerations in any business decision made by these firms. They are interested solely in money and power.

Tourists today gape at the magnificent mansions of the very rich in Newport, Rhode Island, without realizing that not only do these "cottages" stand as a memorial to the baronial desires of our Victorian millionaires, but that their erection in Newport represented a nostalgic memorialization of the great American fortunes, which had their beginnings in Newport when it was the capital of the slave trade.

The slave trade for centuries had its headquarters in Venice, until Seventeenth Century Britain, the new master of the seas, used its control of the oceans to gain a monopoly."​

"

http://www.the7thfire.com/Politics ...the_Federal_Reserve/house_of_Rothschild-5.htm

I often reflect on what seems to be an insurmountable challenge of re-balancing the global economy, redistribution of wealth is a flight of fantasy for most of us not due to any true loyalty of capitalism; but instead to the realization that banking cartels and trans-national corporations deal in billions and trillions of dollars. So, even if a handful of Africans in America manage to accumulate millions of dollars, their empires pale in comparison to that of this megalithic vampires.

So, in brief, my support is that reparations must include not only all Africans of the Diaspora, but an economic restructuring of African currencies, and an obvious elimination of "debt" and foreign "aids". The oppressors could do all of this and still maintain a grip on the power they hold; because the damages inflicted mentally, emotionally and spiritually also need to be addressed.