Black Entertainment : Does Hollywood Make Too Many Movies About Slavery?

Yes, to many slave movies. I tend to believe these movies that show Blacks as slaves, submissive to white race, are intended to be entertainment for whites. Somehow Blacks got the notion these movies were a narrative of our struggle, or something like that, for our entertainment.
I never watched Roots and did not expose my son to these type of slave movies.
I can see whites watching these movies, celebrating their power, while telling their children this is THEIR history. Teaching their children that they are the superior race.
I would not expose my child to a movie showing whites as superior when he has to go to school the next day with white kids who watched the same movie.
Never understood all the excitement over Roots. I watched long enough to know I did'nt want to watch. About 30 min. I know our history.
All the hype about Roots lead to more and more slave movies.

Our children need an education about the truth of our entire history that they won't get from public school. But, they won't get it from Hollywood either. At the time, when we weren't flooded with slave movies, I thought it was a testament to the courage of our ancestors. But, now I know that there is so much more that could have been told on that note, and that white folks get sick thrills from slave movies.

Recently, I read that "Roots" was a scam. Alex Haley didn't even write it. It was written by a white man. Go figure.

Our children need an education about the truth of our entire history that they won't get from public school. But, they won't get it from Hollywood either. At the time, when we weren't flooded with slave movies, I thought it was a testament to the courage of our ancestors. But, now I know that there is so much more that could have been told on that note, and that white folks get sick thrills from slave movies.

Recently, I read that "Roots" was a scam. Alex Haley didn't even write it. It was written by a white man. Go figure.

Where did you get your history of slavery? Intended as a general question. I learned from word of mouth passed down from generation to generation. As it should be. My heart can feel the suffering of my ancestors. Reading. Black History should be taught at home. Many of our people, youth, don't read, feel, or care about their history anymore.
Buying designer stuff, making the white man more wealthy is on their mind.
Thankfully, their are some young Black minds focused on Black history.

Roots was written by a white man ( gurl, let me go look for that): Found it.

1. Alex Haley's "Roots" was plagiarized from a White author.
    www.martinlutherking.org/roots.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
The judge who presided over Haley's plagiarism case admitted that "I did not want to destroy him" and so allowed him to settle quietly - even though, he acknowledged, Haley had repeatedly perjured himself in court.

That's just a shame. I knew somin was wrong with that movie.

So many movies about slavery...

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? What do you think?

Its bad for us...

Hollywood wants to push this nonsense that we had NO history but being slaves, civil rights and Michael King "I had a dream"...

For a " Superior " group of people , they sure try very hard to hide who we were...

The results of this game and hustle theyve done on the world shows currently sister

Alex Haley was a student of Selassie, Diop, and Elder Clarke's work but white Hollywood won't acknowledge anything but their whitewash plagiarism

Where did you get your history of slavery? Intended as a general question. I learned from word of mouth passed down from generation to generation. As it should be. My heart can feel the suffering of my ancestors. Reading. Black History should be taught at home. Many of our people, youth, don't read, feel, or care about their history anymore.
Buying designer stuff, making the white man more wealthy is on their mind.
Thankfully, their are some young Black minds focused on Black history.

Roots was written by a white man ( gurl, let me go look for that): Found it.

1. Alex Haley's "Roots" was plagiarized from a White author.
    www.martinlutherking.org/roots.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages1994
The judge who presided over Haley's plagiarism case admitted that "I did not want to destroy him" and so allowed him to settle quietly - even though, he acknowledged, Haley had repeatedly perjured himself in court.

That's just a shame. I knew somin was wrong with that movie.

When integration became mandatory in California, our parents, mostly SAHMs, stayed in those white folks butts to make sure nothing inappropriate happened to us. When Black History Month rolled around, the white folks threw up their hands and let us control that month. Our Moms made sure we went above and beyond what was necessary. They pulled us together and helped us learn as much as we could, so that we could present the best programs you could imagine....way beyond our years.

Then also, one of my paternal Great Grand Mothers lived from 1892 - 1994. We were very close. She was probably the most influential person in my life to date. She was never senile, always sane, until the end of her 101st year, when she developed cancer. And, even then she was remarkable sharp, but for some reason, she thought I was her daughter.

*smile*

I spent a whole lot of time with her. I have always loved old people. She outlived my Great Grandfather and all three of her children. She insisted on working until she was about 95, even though she didn't need money, she would drive across the Bay Bridge to San Francisco in her 1962 Chevy. Her Mother was born a slave, and wasn't freed until she was 5 years old. So, she had many stories to tell, first hand. That's how I learned about slavery, among other things relative to the History of AA people. My Great Grand went to "Teacher's College", although she didn't finish. She dropped out when she met my Great Grandfather. So, she was quite knowledgeable for an AA woman of her generation. She taught me so much. I still regret that I didn't ask her more questions.

Ironically, Alex Haley's nephew went to High School with me.

But, it makes sense that "Roots" told a story of slaves that were relatively "happy" under the circumstances, when you think about it coming from a white man's pen. But, in those days, we would be somewhat happy just to SEE AA people on TV period doing anything.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back