Black History Culture : Does History = Culture ?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, May 6, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

Are history and culture, one and the same, or two totally different things?

I would imagine that if not exactly the same, then synonymous with each other.

Am i wrong? (now that i've named this forum based on that!) :look:

:heart:

Destee

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    History is simply a recording of events in terms of a time line. Culture is "how and why" people did what they did as it relates to their existence. It contains the core concepts of a people and the reality of who they are. Although History can record these events of culture, if history did not record them, it would still be history. Where history records, culture preserves and passes down.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

I agree with this statement, brother Keita, and it is what I've been trying to get across to a couple of my brethren without success... As per the usual, African Americans love to re-define stuff to OUR personal satisfaction... Forget the prevailing rules, regardless of what they mean to the rest of the world, or whether they are good rules or not...

It is clear to me, now, that our culture is NOT important to most of us... We devalue and disrespect it much like we devalue and disrespect ourselves... Hell, we don't even know what it is in the first place, so how can you LOOK AGAIN(RE + SPECTOS = to look again)at what we are neither cognizant of, or understand??? And using your definition of what Culture means, HOW will we ever be able to overcome ourselves and White Supremacy if we don't understand WHY it is we're doing what we're doing??? I leave that to the historians who are posting all the stories of our past greatness to tell us how we will be able to apply that to overcoming our worst enemy, ourselves...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Brother, I think the reason why knowing our culture may not be important to most of us is because we don't see how knowing the culture helps us to meet our basic needs. For ex. many Blacks are concerned with feeding, sheltering, protecting, educating themselves and their children, and many adults are struggling to get and keep jobs, finding a mate, and such, so how can knowing our culture help people in a practical way to meet these needs? Most of us are operating at a subsistence level and in survival mode 24/7.

It's similar to a question you asked the other day about what is ATR doing to help the community. When a community is not able to meet its basic needs: food, safety, love, belonging etc. most people are not going to be concerned about things like "knowing our culture," which is a higher level need. Are you familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs? It has always helped me to understand why some people prioritize or don't prioritize the way they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

As long as so many of us are focused on meeting our basic needs, it's almost guaranteed that the vast majority of us won't care about knowing "culture."

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34162

Sister Bisabee, there are other very practical reasons for KNOWING your culture, but I've given one thread provided by brother Pan Africa that hollers very loud to me about our confusion as a people... Others??? Well, I don't have the time nor energy to search for, and post here, all of the threads in which we debate who and what constitutes our Africaness... I say to you that if Maslow's Hierarchy of needs does not include KNOWING ONE'S SELF, then his hierarchy is meaningless, because if you are confused about whom you are, you will always be embroiled in some kind of perpetual inner-turmoil that precludes you from the success and happiness you seek... You will always FAIL to achieve that which you want, because you will lack the confidence that comes with knowing yourself, your talents, and you value as a person... Does that sound like us as a people??? That is why knowing one's culture is a matter of practical importance... As brother Keita pointed out, it is your CORE(internal knowledge, wisdom, and understanding)beliefs, your psycho-spiritual compass, that gives you direction, and a sense of standing on firm ground...

Hey, sister BisaBee, do you know why African people fry our hair, and dye it blond??? Do you know why we talk like Whites, when being able to articulate oneself has nothing to do with sounding white??? Do you know why we will refuse to support a Black business, and why a Black Business will have what my brother called in one his poems "The Pitbull in The Barbershop???" It is because we are so detached and dissociated from our ownselves, sister...

Do you know why others appreciate the Blues, and we do not??? It is because we feel so devalued and disrespected as a people, that we do not understand it's value - to the tune of billions of dollars going out of our hands into the hands of our enemies... Are those practical reasons for African people seeking a JOB???(smile!) Hell, Sister, many years ago, a White man, Alan Lomax, walked into Parchman Penitentiary, and recorded African American men singing work songs and prison blues, and his children benefit from that, again, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars - and we're lookin' for a job... What should be at the top of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, my sister??? We just got to stop seeking the EASY way out, and do the work on ourselves...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Bisabee

Ratings:
    +6

In a sense, I'm being a devil's advocate here, but I'm also responding in the way I've heard some others respond when I or someone tells them they need to learn our African history and culture.

So I agree with all you say here, however when talking to some others of us about this issue, they feel they don't have time to learn their history or culture because they're so busy working 2 jobs, sometimes 3 to meet basic needs. Many people are living from paycheck to paycheck--even some professional people I know. Some of these people don't even make it to the next paycheck before they're broke and trying to borrow money. These are the people I'm talking about. They will point out quickly to me that since I don't have to live like that, then that's why I have time to talk about African stuff. They simply don't want to hear it.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    People will always make EXCUSES for whatever it is they really don't want to or see a need to do. AA's today have it no harder than AA's from previous generations. Living paycheck to paycheck is no excuse for not learning your history if you believed it was important to know. People make time and find a way to do the things they really want to do and a paycheck (or lack of it) won't stop them. I won't make excuses nor accept them from lazy and dumb people and I certainly won't support their self-pity.

8. Bisabee

Ratings:
    +6
    But this is where a disconnect occurs between different enclaves of Black people. These people--and there are a lot of them--obviously BELIEVE their reasons are legitimate. They don't consider them excuses. You say you don't want to support them in their self-pity, but they consider their situation a reality and feel you ought to be helping them. Many of them would consider you to be one of the HAVES and would consider themselves to be HAVE-NOTS. I've met many professional Black people who feel that life has dealt them some rotten cards, so they don't want to hear any lecture from someone who they perceive as being in a better position.

They would feel that you can't relate to them and they would dismiss you quickly. Now you also dismiss them--as lazy and dumb, but what do we have at that point is the same as what we have right now--different segments of AAs, doing their thing, not connecting, not agreeing, not uniting, separating from each other because neither group understands/accepts what the other one considers reality. Neither wants to be bothered with the other.

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

My beautiful sisters, I guess this goes and comes back to the education of ourselves and our children... We are not TAUGHT from the cradle that WE nor our culture and history is important... The society we live in strives to powerfully reinforce that notion, hence we have even the most intelligent and brilliant among us eschewing their inner-selves, the culture and traditions, in search of a piece of someone elses conception of happiness...

I am an optimist, because I see the many ways in which OUR CULTURE has impacted on the WORLD, not just our immediate countries of origin... I see that we have a world-class culture, which, because we are mired in blind self-hatred and self-NEGATION(WHITED-OUT or whiting ourselves out?)we cannot see the importance of learning about ourselves...

This Forum always proved that we didn't know what it was, but once we put information within it to SHOW what it was, we still didn't frequent it like we should... All the intelligence at this board, and our people don't know the difference between history and culture??? It has to be explained over and over and over again??? Man, that means folk aren't interested... Like I used to tell my kids, 100% of REMEMBERING is in paying attention... If you're not paying attention, you'll "forget" 100% of the time...

Perhaps, now, that this is a history forum, folk will not be so afraid to look in, and see themselves, and whom we are as a people...

PEace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    WOW, Queenie, I've never seen you express yourself like this before:crying:

But I understand your impatience about this issue... It is a major catch-22 with us as a community... We say we want better schooling for our children, but yet WE evince/demonstrate, either, an ignorance or hatred of learning that would belie our claims...

For one, how many African American parents will show up at Open-School Night to consult with a teacher(s) about our child's progress in School??? How many of us will sit down with our children when doing their homework, and determine for ourselves what are their academic strengths and weaknesses, and help them improve on their weaknesses??? How many will fail to do so, and blame the school system for their babies failures??? How many of us sit down in front of our television for 6 hours a night, children by our side, and wonder why they either cannot, nor want to, read??? And that's all a vicious cycle, because that's what THEIR parents did TOO!

Peace!
    Isaiah